F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How many F30 owners looked at the S4?
ARMA SPEED

01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #67
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ca View Post
nice comparo!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #68
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I bought a precursor to the Audi A4 range, the Audi 80, in 1979.
The worse built car I have ever had !
I swore that I would never by another Audi, and I never have.
Good Barometer there fanboy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #69
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
I have a 2011 S4 as well as a 2013 F30 328i M-Sport. I initially went into Audi North Scottsdale to look at either a 2013 S4 or S5 but 36mo lease was $150/mo more than my current lease payment with FEWER options (buying at invoice). North Scottsdale BMW occupies the same piece of real estate and a line of F30's was 10ft away so I wandered over on my way out. I ended up with a 2013 F30 M-Sport in EBII w/premium/heated seats/paddles/EBT AND a significantly lower payment (at invoice minus 5% of holdback). I decided on the 328i vs 335i because a quick call to Dynocomp confirmed stage 2 tune of 325hp and 70fps torque AT THE WHEELS would run me $1200. 335i performance with a but over $10k saved
Until something blows up .......no warranty. Sound of 4cyl takes a while to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #70
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
nice comparo!
Funny thing about color....Audi offers Estoril Blue. Id take the Audi all day. I can't get used to that new BMW interior. Too many weird shapes for me and the MMI looks like an afterthought again. BMW exterior now looks pretty sharp compared to e90 (aaaaahhhh that was bad). With Audi diff option you can get the car sideways like an rwd car. I steered one around an off ramp with my right foot.....pretty cool for awd. Both amazing cars though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #71
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

In respect of sound the S4 has 3 modes of sound, the most loud is the dynamic mode. It should pretty much even out any sound differences one may perceive between the 335i and the S4. The dynamic mode sound is achieved through the cars speakers however unlike the M5 which directs actual car sounds to the speakers, the S4 uses pre recordings but it works out very well.

I test drove the S4 twice but one look at the EB2 335i was all she wrote

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #72
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
In respect of sound the S4 has 3 modes of sound, the most loud is the dynamic mode. It should pretty much even out any sound differences one may perceive between the 335i and the S4. The dynamic mode sound is achieved through the cars speakers however unlike the M5 which directs actual car sounds to the speakers, the S4 uses pre recordings but it works out very well.

Different cars. The e92 is great looking. I drove one for the last 3 years too.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #73
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post

Different cars. The e92 is great looking. I drove one for the last 3 years too.

You are confusing E92 with EB2, the color

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #74
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I 'aspired' to an Audi a few years ago. Got one with all the bells and whistles but unfortunately it was the dullest car I've ever had the displeasure to own. A VW in a posh frock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Overpriced VW, no visual appeal to me at least. I would compare a Merc
LOl! VW shares no major parts with the A4/S4. Actually the A4/S4 has more parts in common with BMW than with VW. A4 has the same transmission from ZF while the S4 and the X6M have similiar if not the same sport diff.
Also you can't take a FWD car engine and mount it to an AWD car so the engines aren't even the same. A4 2.0T engine is not the same as a 2.0T engine from VW.
Most of the parts from VW, Audi, BMW, and Merc are all made from the same suppliers anyways. So you can think that your BMW is superior but in reality it is made from parts from same suppliers as VW/Audi.
I guess Porsche, Lambo, and Bentley are also just VW's.
If you still want to think that Audi is a VW than the BMW will just be a Toyota since they will be sharing parts later on with the co-operation in sharing technologies.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #75
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
LOl! ...
Also you can't take a FWD car engine and mount it to an AWD car so the engines aren't even the same. A4 2.0T engine is not the same as a 2.0T engine from VW.
Hmmm, no. Audi is seeling AWD and FWD versions of the car. Of course you can mount a FWD engine on an AWD car. You just add a Haldex or something. But the platform has to accomodate the change, or having been designed for it.
Audi is also developing its own platform that it shares with the VW group, as a VW subsidiary.
The 2.0T is one of the most ubiquitous engine in the VW group galaxy. It's in the the GTI, the Jetta, the Passat I think, the CC, a few Skodas and some Seats, not to mention the A3, A4, A5, A6 and perhaps even A7.

Quote:
Most of the parts from VW, Audi, BMW, and Merc are all made from the same suppliers anyways. So you can think that your BMW is superior but in reality it is made from parts from same suppliers as VW/Audi.
Yes. So? Those brands are car manufacturers in the sense that they mostly assemble car, and design some parts to be manufactured by suppliers.
Audi and BMW famously both use the ZF 8 speed across their line-ups.

Quote:
I guess Porsche, Lambo, and Bentley are also just VW's.
If you still want to think that Audi is a VW than the BMW will just be a Toyota since they will be sharing parts later on with the co-operation in sharing technologies.
Well if the technology that comes out of the agreement is put in both BMWs and Toyotas in the same way, then yes, those BMWs will partly be Toyotas.

But the "same suppliers" story is different. They manufacture parts designed either by BMW or by an independent supplier. Audi or Merc had nothing to do with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #76
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Different car than you are asking about: I was set on an A5 as my next vehicle, until I test drove it. The dealer asked me to test an A4, which was so-so. My fiancé was surprised when I came home PO'd. My 335i arrives on 2/6 and I couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #77
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Drove the S4 today, awesome car. Seats not having side bolsters was odd. BMW steering I like better, but I really liked the S4. I had driven it before, but not long enough to really test it out. I took it by myself and hit the freeways and twisties. I was really surprised how it grew on me. I even did some driving that wouldmbe daily 35mph parking lots, etc....The steering is light, clutch a little long as well, but it handles and it is fast, I had dismissed it before, but I really needed more time just to get used to it. I drive the F30 again tomorrow. I may pull the trigger on the Audi we will see.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #78
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
Hmmm, no. Audi is seeling AWD and FWD versions of the car. Of course you can mount a FWD engine on an AWD car. You just add a Haldex or something. But the platform has to accomodate the change, or having been designed for it.
Audi is also developing its own platform that it shares with the VW group, as a VW subsidiary.

The 2.0T is one of the most ubiquitous engine in the VW group galaxy. It's in the the GTI, the Jetta, the Passat I think, the CC, a few Skodas and some Seats, not to mention the A3, A4, A5, A6 and perhaps even A7.

Yes. So? Those brands are car manufacturers in the sense that they mostly assemble car, and design some parts to be manufactured by suppliers.
Audi and BMW famously both use the ZF 8 speed across their line-ups.

Well if the technology that comes out of the agreement is put in both BMWs and Toyotas in the same way, then yes, those BMWs will partly be Toyotas.

But the "same suppliers" story is different. They manufacture parts designed either by BMW or by an independent supplier. Audi or Merc had nothing to do with that.
First part is completely wrong. The engines aren't even mounted in the same direction for one so engine can't be the same on the A4 AWD and the VW. As for A4 FWD no one buys that piece of crap. Second look at the specs of the Audi engine and of the VW engine and they aren't similiar either. It isn't just ECU tune either. Different tech and also different hardware allow the Audi unit to produce more power and torque. The Audi also has valve lift and also different heads. Basically none of the parts in the VW 2.0T engine are interchangeable with the Audi 2.0T

Do some research before you write this nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #79
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Different car than you are asking about: I was set on an A5 as my next vehicle, until I test drove it. The dealer asked me to test an A4, which was so-so. My fiancé was surprised when I came home PO'd. My 335i arrives on 2/6 and I couldn't be happier.
The A4 doesn't come close to the 328i or the 335i because it is an older platform due for change in about a year or so. The S4 is what competes with the 335i and the sport diff makes it handle night and day vs the A4 along with the other chassis improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Drove the S4 today, awesome car. Seats not having side bolsters was odd. BMW steering I like better, but I really liked the S4. I had driven it before, but not long enough to really test it out. I took it by myself and hit the freeways and twisties. I was really surprised how it grew on me. I even did some driving that wouldmbe daily 35mph parking lots, etc....The steering is light, clutch a little long as well, but it handles and it is fast, I had dismissed it before, but I really needed more time just to get used to it. I drive the F30 again tomorrow. I may pull the trigger on the Audi we will see.
I would say spend more time in the S4 before deciding because you are coming from a BMW and the AWD takes some time to get use to it. Drive it differently than your RWD BMW is my advice. Go into the corners slower and then mash the throttle before the corner is finished earlier than you would a RWD and the AWD will power you through the corner. If you still feel better driving the RWD car after an extended drive than buy what you like best as that is what it comes down to.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #80
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The A4 doesn't come close to the 328i or the 335i because it is an older platform due for change in about a year or so. The S4 is what competes with the 335i and the sport diff makes it handle night and day vs the A4 along with the other chassis improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I would say spend more time in the S4 before deciding because you are coming from a BMW and the AWD takes some time to get use to it. Drive it differently than your RWD BMW is my advice. Go into the corners slower and then mash the throttle before the corner is finished earlier than you would a RWD and the AWD will power you through the corner. If you still feel better driving the RWD car after an extended drive than buy what you like best as that is what it comes down to.
Understand that an A4 doesn't compare. I was just mentioning what I tested and I didn't like. The A5 was brutal.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #81
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Funny.just read a 328/a4 compare..........A4 won.....every category . Magazines all like S4 steering better than BMW now. I don't buy cars based on mag tests just find comments here interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #82
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
First part is completely wrong. The engines aren't even mounted in the same direction for one so engine can't be the same on the A4 AWD and the VW. As for A4 FWD no one buys that piece of crap. Second look at the specs of the Audi engine and of the VW engine and they aren't similiar either. It isn't just ECU tune either. Different tech and also different hardware allow the Audi unit to produce more power and torque. The Audi also has valve lift and also different heads. Basically none of the parts in the VW 2.0T engine are interchangeable with the Audi 2.0T

There are plenty of shared components and parts.
The vw 2.0tsi and Audi 2.0tfsi mainly differ in the head where Audi uses valve lift or whatever they call it which explains the power difference. The blocks may be identical, it's the head up that is different. I have been out of the vw tsi tuning game for a bit, but pretty sure that is the key between the two.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #83
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:

The A4 shares a similar platform with a Passat but the engine and drivelines are very different. But even if they were so what, have we become so jaded that Volkswagons are junk cars. Audi and VW also shares parts with Lamborghini and Bentley. I love newer VW's and wouldn't mind owning one.

Also lots of CVT A4's are sold every year.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #84
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
The A4 shares a similar platform with a Passat but the engine and drivelines are very different. But even if they were so what, have we become so jaded that Volkswagons are junk cars. Audi and VW also shares parts with Lamborghini and Bentley. I love newer VW's and wouldn't mind owning one.

I am out of my CC because of the horrid reliability. Kept me out of Audi because of shared components like coils.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #85
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Funny.just read a 328/a4 compare..........A4 won.....every category . Magazines all like S4 steering better than BMW now. I don't buy cars based on mag tests just find comments here interesting.
I have an S4 and I have test driven the A4 and the 335i and 328i extensively both the e92 and F30 and IMO the A4 is behind the 335i and 328i in performance but the S4 was to my liking. This is not saying the 335i wasn't as the e90 steering was the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
There are plenty of shared components and parts.
The vw 2.0tsi and Audi 2.0tfsi mainly differ in the head where Audi uses valve lift or whatever they call it which explains the power difference. The blocks may be identical, it's the head up that is different. I have been out of the vw tsi tuning game for a bit, but pretty sure that is the key between the two.
That is definitely a key difference but really both engines aren't the same as no components are shared. That is how different it is. Just like the BMW 2.0T doesn't share anything with the Audi the VW doesn't share anything with Audi either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post

Incorrect, the A4 isn't even on the same platform as the Passat or similiar. That said the new MQB platform will be shared with Porsche, Audi, and VW and the platform will be modified to each companies specs. This doesn't bother me one bit as the 3 companies can build a better platform at the same time saving money for other areas.
What bothers me is the incorrect information that people state as facts without doing the research.

CVT A4 are almost non existent in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I am out of my CC because of the horrid reliability. Kept me out of Audi because of shared components like coils.
Each manufacturer has it's own problems just like BMW had it with the hpfp.
The key is how timely they fix the problems. Both Audi and BMW had taken way too long in fixing the hpfp and the coil problems IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #86
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

All of them
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #87
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I think it really depends on where you live. Here in SoCal, there are hardly any a4 Quattro's yet alone many S4's. The 3 series are readily available.

AWD is really pointless in here unless you go skiing all the time. Therefore, most Audi's here are FWD. I don't really consider it an Audi unless it's a Quattro.

Also, isn't he S4 supercharged vs the 335i's turbocharged?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #88
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
All of them
Indeed. Everyone here looked at the equivalents and ended up with a bimmer obviously. A major reason I chose BMW was for the 4 year included free maintenance.
Appreciate 0