F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Easy NBT Coding by Bimmertech
Extreme Powerhouse

04-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #23
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswindell View Post
For folks like me that wanted the features but didn't know how to find a local coder (or have the time to look for one), this was a great option! Folks who are making these changes most likely have the resources to do so, so although you are correct that I might have been able to do it for less, I was very happy with how little time I had to invest to get the changes I wanted.

IMHO, there is room in the BMW ecosystem for BimmerTech's solution as well as local coders, who will always be able to provide even more services.

-- Dave
Well said.
I am not even going to comment on posts like "this is such a rip off"...

There are many people here that value their time and they do not want to search and meet an unknown local guy and trust he will do the job right. And in case the coding is erased by a BMW dealer they do not want to go through the same hassle again and usually pay again... So if someone says it's a rip off I say it's a great deal!

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswindell View Post
For folks like me that wanted the features but didn't know how to find a local coder (or have the time to look for one), this was a great option! Folks who are making these changes most likely have the resources to do so, so although you are correct that I might have been able to do it for less, I was very happy with how little time I had to invest to get the changes I wanted.

IMHO, there is room in the BMW ecosystem for BimmerTech's solution as well as local coders, who will always be able to provide even more services.

-- Dave
There's room, I just wish they capped this at something reasonable like $125.
      04-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #25
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
There's room, I just wish they capped this at something reasonable like $125.
Imagine how many more sales this would produce. But ...... why work that hard if they don't have to? Charge what the market will bear.

Not to worry, smithf32, I can't wait to meet you.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #26
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Do you get to cycle through options? For example, if I buy the ringtone option can I select mini one day, then reflash and select custom the next day?
We would need to prepare separate coding files for you. When you want to change the ringtone you will have to recode the NBT.
And is that a separate charge for each?

Also when would you have folding mirrors when locking?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #27
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Stuff I'd like to see as options:
Weather Radio
Dashboard illumination on at all times
Speedo correction
Window rollup with remote

I don't think I saw those on the website.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #28
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual SMB F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
And is that a separate charge for each?

Also when would you have folding mirrors when locking?
I'm betting they won't ever have anything outside the NBT because they likely have just figured out a way to manipulate the bluetooth update system.

There are so many more features like windows up with keys or folding mirrors, seat belt chime and the list goes on that this will likely never be able to provide. There are plenty of remote coders that are on the forum besides the local ones and they all charge less for way more.

Plus I'd be interested for them to explain more at how they've done this since if they are manipulating another update system it should be known so the people know the risks associated with it. The coding done via the OBDII port at least is using BMW software. What sort of fails safes does this software have in place to prevent your NBT from getting bricked etc?

Current: 2018 Individual San Marino Blue M3 | 2022 BSM X5 MC
Previous: 2018 BSM X5 M
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #29
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Stuff I'd like to see as options:
Weather Radio
Dashboard illumination on at all times
Speedo correction
Window rollup with remote

I don't think I saw those on the website.
They'll never have that because this can only make changes in the headunit.
      04-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #30
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

Huh?
I was able to make changes to those options on my E92 with Carly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #31
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Huh?
I was able to make changes to those options on my E92 with Carly.
This isn't the same as that tho.
      04-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #32
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
There are plenty of remote coders that are on the forum besides the local ones and they all charge less for way more.
Yup, it's called a community. Not just some "unknown guy" that can code your car.

I do understand the BimmerTech target market though. Good for them.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #33
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Well said.
I am not even going to comment on posts like "this is such a rip off"...

There are many people here that value their time and they do not want to search and meet an unknown local guy and trust he will do the job right. And in case the coding is erased by a BMW dealer they do not want to go through the same hassle again and usually pay again... So if someone says it's a rip off I say it's a great deal!

Thank you!
How ironic that it says this right on your website tho....

Quote:
Disclaimer: Please note that if in the future you will have to do the iDrive system update at your dealer for any reason our coding most probably might be removed. In this case you might be able to install the coding again using the same file. However, BimmerTech does not take any responsibility if the coding file you purchase will work again in your BMW after any factory software upgrade.
Guess you gotta spend $200 again...

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #34
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
How ironic that it says this right on your website tho....

Guess you gotta spend $200 again...
It's a disclaimer which says we can't guarantee the USB coding will work with future software updates from BMW. Nobody knows what kind of changes in the software BMW will implement. "Local coders" should also tell their customers that they can't guarantee they will be able to do coding in the future.

As of today (and since NBT has been on the market) you can use the same USB coding file after a dealer software update and it will work fine and you do not have to pay again.

So, no it's not the same like with regular coding when you must ask somebody to code your car again after a dealer software update.

Quote:
Plus I'd be interested for them to explain more at how they've done this since if they are manipulating another update system it should be known so the people know the risks associated with it. The coding done via the OBDII port at least is using BMW software. What sort of fails safes does this software have in place to prevent your NBT from getting bricked etc?
Unfortunately we will not give any details on how our solution works but I can assure you it's safer than letting somebody mess with your car using a powerful BMW software that has features which can really brick ECUs in the car if used incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #35
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Unfortunately we will not give any details on how our solution works but I can assure you it's safer than letting somebody mess with your car using a powerful BMW software that has features which can really brick ECUs in the car if used incorrectly.
Scaremonger much?

I've been involved with coding these cars since they were released I can only ever recall one person actually "bricking" a car, you a drawing a long bow to justify whatever it is you're trying to justify.

I'm very much a capitalist myself but I can't fathom anyone paying for coding but good luck to you if you can get it!
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #36
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Scaremonger much?

I've been involved with coding these cars since they were released I can only ever recall one person actually "bricking" a car, you a drawing a long bow to justify whatever it is you're trying to justify.

I'm very much a capitalist myself but I can't fathom anyone paying for coding but good luck to you if you can get it!
Thank you for confirming that you can actually damage something in the car with BMW coding software. Although it's very unlikely it has happened not just once.
I am glad it wasn't just me saying that

I also can't understand why people pay for car wash when they can wash their cars themselves. This world is insane!

I guess this is my last post in this thread. Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. If you have any questions feel free to contact us by email.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #37
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a disclaimer which says we can't guarantee the USB coding will work with future software updates from BMW. Nobody knows what kind of changes in the software BMW will implement. "Local coders" should also tell their customers that they can't guarantee they will be able to do coding in the future.

As of today (and since NBT has been on the market) you can use the same USB coding file after a dealer software update and it will work fine and you do not have to pay again.

So, no it's not the same like with regular coding when you must ask somebody to code your car again after a dealer software update.

Of course you think it's far safer.... too bad you have no evidence. If you truly believe that back-dooring another update mechanism is safer than using software that was solely designed to do this, then I really feel bad for you.

Disclaimer: I am a software developer.

Quote:
Thank you for confirming that you can actually damage something in the car with BMW coding software. Although it's very unlikely it has happened not just once.
I am glad it wasn't just me saying that

I also can't understand why people pay for car wash when they can wash their cars themselves. This world is insane!

I guess this is my last post in this thread. Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. If you have any questions feel free to contact us by email.
I love watching vendors squirm under pressure. Really shows your confidence. hahahaha

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #38
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
http://www.************.ca/

I used these guys... forum member... very knowledgeable and friendly and I couldn't have been happier. Remotely coded me at my convenience and always promptly answered all my crazy questions. Would recommend these guys to anyone.

edit - guess I can't post link... but it's "code my bimmer DOT ca" .
      04-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #39
cdswindell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i xDrive Convertible

Cool!

I had my dealer install the M Performance Kit on my 2015 435ix convertible yesterday. When I picked the car up, the coding installed via the USB update method was removed. I checked with Patryk, and sure enough, all I had to do was to reapply the USB update, and my NBT coded changes, along with the code changes that were a part of the performance kit were there.

Cool!!

-- Dave
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #40
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep

I purchased two items from Bimmer-Tech. I have no idea how it works (and I'm I know IT), but it worked perfectly.

They sent me a bin file in an e-mail. I copied the file to a blank USB thumb drive, and installation was a snap. Easy.

If you don't want to mess with coding, this service is perfect. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0