F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cobb tunes
Studio RSR

04-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
The mppk really is an awesome upgrade. Worth every penny and its REAL power, nevermind this 20hp crap. My car with the sport auto and power kit feels as fast as my Procede n54. I wish others could test drive a car like mine and see what I mean. I think a lot of people are going to miss out on this awesome tune because of advertised numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
My MPPK cost $935, install was $135 (software only - I did the engine cover/intake updates myself). Huge power difference, way more than the advertised 20HP.
The advertised power gains are laughably conservative.

The advertised crank numbers for the original Dinan Stage 2 software flash were as follows: 384 horsepower and 421 lb-ft of torque.

I had the Dinan Stage 2 flash on both my '07 335i sedan and my '10 M Sport LCI 335i Sedan. Both cars had the N54 motor.

I can confidently assert that my M Performance Power Kit-equipped F30 M Sport 335i feels every bit as strong as my old Dinan-tuned N54 335i sedans. One difference is that the BMW tune feels a bit smoother and more refined. To me, that says a lot because I absolutely loved my Dinan Stage 2 flash. I enjoyed the Dinan Stage 2 software so much that I paid for it twice because both of those cars were leases.

Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #24
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
Logic and reason?

How dare you sir.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The advertised power gains are laughably conservative.

The advertised crank numbers for the original Dinan Stage 2 software flash were as follows: 384 horsepower and 421 lb-ft of torque.

I had the Dinan Stage 2 flash on both my '07 335i sedan and my '10 M Sport LCI 335i Sedan. Both cars had the N54 motor.

I can confidently assert that my M Performance Power Kit-equipped F30 M Sport 335i feels every bit as strong as my old Dinan-tuned N54 335i sedans. One difference is that the BMW tune feels a bit smoother and more refined. To me, that says a lot because I absolutely loved my Dinan Stage 2 flash. I enjoyed the Dinan Stage 2 software so much that I paid for it twice because both of those cars were leases.

Side Note:

Carry on.
Someone just please dyno the damn PPK already so I can see the real numbers. the 20hp/38tq or what ever it is, is definetly underrated. I need to see some numbers to the wheels.

I agree hp is not everything. Ive seen 425-450 hp cars beat down 500 hp cars because they cant put it to the ground. I was that guy with the 572rwhp car that lost to a 440rwhp c6 because the car is a feather and the guy knew how to put what he had to maximum use.....

Of course the higher the gain in hp the better the selling point. Not bashing any tuner but its a great selling point...my pee arch is higher than yours.

Dyno king and queens. Like my car below. Shit ton of power but it had its limits of what it can put to the pavement..

Last edited by Jadar; 06-08-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

All these people with the mppk and no one has dyno'd it yet?

Quick, someone do a stock, JB4, and mppk on the same car and compare!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Two of us are scheduled to dyno our MPPK on Tuesday. I'll post my #s when I get them...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Two of us are scheduled to dyno our MPPK on Tuesday. I'll post my #s when I get them...
Please do!
      06-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
All these people with the mppk and no one has dyno'd it yet?

Quick, someone do a stock, JB4, and mppk on the same car and compare!
Yeah, 288hp, 320tq. Check the main MPPK thread.
      06-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Yeah, 288hp, 320tq. Check the main MPPK thread.
By the way....since I'm going to dyno Tuesday morning (and I've never done this), I assume I should have it in Sport mode? Does Sport actually put out more hp than Comfort? Or....just different shift points? Also....I have an 8AT....does it have to manually be in a certain gear while doing the dyno pull? If so, which one?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
rshourek22
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Garage List
I'm interested in the MPPK numbers as well, but I'd really like an ETA for the Cobb. Has anyone heard anything from Cobb recently? I had the Cobb AP on my E90 and it was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshourek22 View Post
I'm interested in the MPPK numbers as well, but I'd really like an ETA for the Cobb. Has anyone heard anything from Cobb recently? I had the Cobb AP on my E90 and it was awesome.
I heard August. At the latest early September, but still all rumors.
      06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

patiently waiting... F30 models are still a niche market... will become more popular in two years or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Anyone have any word on this?
Would have think that a year to develop this may have been enough?

It seems that many people are buying JB4 or BMW MPPK instead.

Does Cobb have any intention on finalizing this?
      07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #35
Ym.335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i in production

Yeah what the hell is taking so long?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Well it's been another month. Is Cobb no longer a forum sponsor?
It would be nice to know the status of if they plan on releasing anything. The ECU code must be on lockdown.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #37
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
It would be nice to know the status of if they plan on releasing anything. The ECU code must be on lockdown.
Great things come to those who wait. If COBB is taking longer than usual, it's because they want to ensure they start with a solid baseline. Then the community becomes the testers. Looking forward to see what power these F30 and F32 can make.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI

Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 08-16-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #38
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Great things come to those who wait. If COBB is taking longer than usual, it's because they want to ensure they start with a solid baseline. Then the community becomes the testers. Looking forward to see what power these F30 and F32 can make.
Actually I called them yesterday. It wasn't optimistic. As in "2013" optimistic or even close.

At least that's the interpretation from the conversation...unfortunately.
      08-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #39
lazycat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 CP

Guess we'll have to stick with JB4
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #40
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I called them yesterday. It wasn't optimistic. As in "2013" optimistic or even close.

I emaile them about 4 weeks ago. Same impression I got. Nothing solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycat View Post
Guess we'll have to stick with JB4
Im ordering one...asap
      08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:

Good to know thanks. I just assumed they were working on it based upon the thread. By the time I buy my 335i F32 I am sure they will have one.

Also, COBB is good at hiding things...

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #42
Jay562F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 Estoril Blue

GO Bms JB4 for now shits great!
      08-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

This is my correspondence with Cobb from last week:

"Jameson,

We continue to look at adding support for the F30 328i but at this point, it's a pretty good distance down the project list. Unfortunately, we only have so many resources we can allocate to any one specific platform and BMW is one of the most labor intensive to add and maintain support for. Currently, the biggest projects are getting the N55 Accesstuner Race released, full E9X/E82 N55 support, and then the F30 335i support ready to go. However, the good news is we've already examined the N20 ECU and it's very similar to the F30 N55 setup so once we get into one, the other should be fairly easy. Best guess though- it'll be at least a year or more before we have any N20 support, if at all, but you never know. Priorities could change and we could get a few more engineers to get cracking on it, so there's a always a chance things could happen sooner.

Thanks for choosing COBB!

Thank you,
Jared"

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Wow, sounds like they are still a ways off for the F30 335 too...