F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > AT DS mode and Sport Driving Experience Switch
Extreme Powerhouse

07-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
thomasw80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i White, Tech only

AT DS mode and Sport Driving Experience Switch

Can someone tell me what the difference is between using the "DS" mode on the auto and putting the car into the "sport" mode using the "Driving Experience Switch"? I have the F30 sedan with Nav/Hud but no other options. Sorry it this has been explained before but I looked though the form and didn't see any topic dealing with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
As far as I know, putting the car in DS mode just changes the rpm threshold at which the car changes gear. Sport mode on the other hand will not only alter the gearbox behaviour but also throttle response. I believe it will also change suspension settings (if Adaptive M Sport suspension fitted) and steering behaviour (if Variable Sport Steering fitted).

Actually that got me thinking... what if you push the gear lever across to DS and put the car in Eco Pro mode? Does a message flash up saying "make your mind up!"

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
thomasw80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i White, Tech only

They might call it "Sport -" instead of Sport + .

I used DS a lot with my 330i and it did change the gearing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but left the other gears the same. I guess you could have it in DS and Sport but I'm not sure how good for the car that would be. Should be fun to play with. Only had the car a day so I have a lot to lean.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
R Dot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

i'd like to know more about this as well. Took a test drive today for a luxury line on Sport mode but didn't switch to DS on the gearbox. Is there a difference? or is switching to sport mode enough?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
As far as I know, putting the car in DS mode just changes the rpm threshold at which the car changes gear. Sport mode on the other hand will not only alter the gearbox behaviour but also throttle response. I believe it will also change suspension settings (if Adaptive M Sport suspension fitted) and steering behaviour (if Variable Sport Steering fitted).

Actually that got me thinking... what if you push the gear lever across to DS and put the car in Eco Pro mode? Does a message flash up saying "make your mind up!"
I don't think you can change the steering if 2VL is in the car. I believe VSS is a mechanical variable rack. After you hit 90 degrees of wheel rotation, the gearing becomes quicker. This wouldn't be able to be changed by software. However, it might be possible to vary the boost the electric assist provides. I don't know if that's what's happening. But I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
You could be right. What made me assume the steering might somehow change in say Sport+ mode is that the BMW brochure has to say (trouble is it's more marketing-speak that solid details!)

"The Sport+ mode is for particularly sporty driving. It is available on the Sport model, or in conjunction with the Sport automatic transmission, Variable Sport steering or the Adaptive M Sport Suspension. It literally increases dynamic ability; the chassis, suspension and accelerator response acquire an even sportier edge, and the steering becomes more direct. For the sort of dynamic performance that gives you the urge to choose a slightly longer route to your destination."

I took "and the steering becomes more direct" to mean the steering dynamics actually change in Sport+ mode... but I could have misconstrued this, so happy to be corrected

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
aarslan
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 3.20i 2012

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
It "advices" you in blue fonts to switch back to D mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Combining Sport/Sport+ mode with DS does not have any effect. DS mode uses the same shift program that is being used in Sport mode. In Sport+ mode, it overrides DS.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

I was wondering if it was just me that it didn't feel any different when in Sport+ whether the shifter was in DS or not.
Appreciate 0