F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 3M Ventureshield
Studio RSR

12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

3M Ventureshield

Prompted by the stonechips @MRPoisson was suffering from I enquired about 3M Ventureshield as I had no idea what this cost. The response from my local installer is below:http://www.3mventureshield.co.uk/paint-protection-film/

I won't be going for it I don't think, others may find this useful?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us via the 3M website and it was a pleasure chatting with you about getting some 3M VentureSheild Paint Protection Film installed to your new BMW 335d M-Sport. As I said on the phone, we are happy to do as little or as much work as you may want so please see below the breakdown of the costs for three options available for you.

1. Bumper Only
As you said that you currently get lots of chip damage to your bumper we can make the installation here for £330 inc VAT fully fitted. If you would like to get the headlight kit fitted we can do this also for an additional £45.

2. Standard kit
This is the most popular kit as it gives you a great balance of cost and maximum protection. The areas protected are as follows,

• Full front bumper
• Leading edge of the bonnet (approximately Ό)
• Headlights
• Fog lights if fitted
• Top leading edge of front wings
• Wing mirror caps

The cost of this kit is £499 inc VAT fully fitted.

3. Premium Kit
This kit will give you the maximum amount of protection with all of the areas from the standard kit above protected apart from the bonnet which will be FULLY covered. The downside of this kit is due to a much larger amount of 3M VentureShield needed to cover the full bonnet it’s a lot more expensive. As such the cost of the premium kit is £829.

4. Optional Top Of Rear Bumper
This is an extra section that we have seen lots of our customers wanting fitted to stop scratches happening from shopping bags, luggage and sometimes dogs being put into and taken out of the boot. We can fit this section for you for £54 inc VAT.

All projects are carried out at our performance centre just 5 mins away from Gatwick Airport and are covered by 3M’s 5 year warranty. If you would like to come and see our site and meet us prior to getting any projects booked in, please do get in touch with me. I will be more than happy to talk you through the process and of course show you the material itself.
      12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I suppose the standard kit doesn't seem too bad value if you intend on keeping the car for a long period and want to keep it looking it's best.

Don't know if i'd stump up the cash tbh!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Prices are pretty consistent - Our Z4 cost £600 and is somewhere between standard and premium (not full bonnet)

Our 335d will be done and will be custom templated and will include full bonnet, so it will cost a little more as described here.

I can understand why others wouldn't do it, especially if they plan to keep the car for 2 or 3 years and then swap. stone chips will be fair wear and tear so shouldn't affect GFV. For us, we do 25k miles per year and plan to keep the car for 4-6 years, so a worthwhile investment for us.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Sounds like I got a really good price then based on the full kit. I am seriously considering it.

I have been quoted £660 fully fitted including VAT. I have attached the picture he has sent me of the kit:

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

I'd have been temped had I known about it!

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Sounds like I got a really good price then based on the full kit. I am seriously considering it.

I have been quoted £660 fully fitted including VAT. I have attached the picture he has sent me of the kit:

That's about right. I have the equivalent of that on the Z4, plus the side skirts and ahead of the rear arches, and paid £600. That was 2 years ago though.

I don't think the prices will vary too much, as the materials themselves are large part of the cost. Perhaps there is a difference in the north to the south in the labour aspect though
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

If I have time tomorrow I'm going to visit them, The thing I dont like is that they generally only do half a bonnet and half of the wings. I don't want a line across those!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
I'd have been temped had I known about it!
It doesn't have to be a new car to have this done. If you car in is good condition, get it Detailed then have it applied.

Still not sure on it myself. I'm sure there will be drawbacks too.

From what I have researched so far the Xpel Ultimate seems the best one which is what paintshield.co.uk fit but it is will be more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
If I have time tomorrow I'm going to visit them, The thing I dont like is that they generally only do half a bonnet and half of the wings. I don't want a line across those!
This is why I'm going for full bonnet and wings on the 335d! The company I'm using this time will do custom templating, which means they will wrap the edges round everywhere they can. The 3M computer templates don't do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
It doesn't have to be a new car to have this done. If you car in is good condition, get it Detailed then have it applied.

Still not sure on it myself. I'm sure there will be drawbacks too.

From what I have researched so far the Xpel Ultimate seems the best one which is what paintshield.co.uk fit but it is will be more expensive.
I've heard good things about Xpel, but the costs are much higher than Ventureshield. Ventureshield ultra has a gloss topcoat which takes a good wax or sealant so I'm happy to stick with it as will still make the effort to keep that car cleaned and polished.

From my research its the quality of the fitting and installation that tends to make the difference, assuming you're using one of the premium films at least
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Can I just challenge the wisdom of the theory behind the principle here?

You have immaculate new paintwork and you want it to stay that way - makes sense.

So you apply a temporary film that takes the knocks instead of the paint, and the inevitable damage is inflicted on the film not the paint. So whilst the film will show scarring after a while, you'll know that when you peel it off, the paint will be pristine.

Come first warm Sunday in May you go out to pamper your pride and joy, and you get your two buckets and snow foam and lambswool mitt etc. to get a lovely swirl free high gloss sparkle but when you do the front you have a now torn and spattered bit of plastic that looks different from the rest of it. And ridges at the edges.

So all in all when exactly do you get the benefit of this investment in protection? It seems it's when you peel it off 3 or 4 years later when you sell it on or hand it back to the dealer.

I'm struggling to understand where the logic is in all this. Clearly I'm missing the point.

Maybe it's genuinely invisible and looks just like the paint would and it doesn't scar. You see, I'm assuming it acts in a sacrificial way, but is it that in fact it is bullet proof?
      12-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
Can I just challenge the wisdom of the theory behind the principle here?

You have immaculate new paintwork and you want it to stay that way - makes sense.

So you apply a temporary film that takes the knocks instead of the paint, and the inevitable damage is inflicted on the film not the paint. So whilst the film will show scarring after a while, you'll know that when you peel it off, the paint will be pristine.

Come first warm Sunday in May you go out to pamper your pride and joy, and you get your two buckets and snow foam and lambswool mitt etc. to get a lovely swirl free high gloss sparkle but when you do the front you have a now torn and spattered bit of plastic that looks different from the rest of it. And ridges at the edges.

So all in all when exactly do you get the benefit of this investment in protection? It seems it's when you peel it off 3 or 4 years later when you sell it on or hand it back to the dealer.

I'm struggling to understand where the logic is in all this. Clearly I'm missing the point.

Maybe it's genuinely invisible and looks just like the paint would and it doesn't scar. You see, I'm assuming it acts in a sacrificial way, but is it that in fact it is bullet proof?
The film doesn't get rock chips and doesn't really take damage since it's a polymer and has "give" to it. Paint and clearcoat doesn't bend or take damage well. A piece of plastic does. I've had mine for 6 months and still looks new.

For what it's worth, the 3m film is garbage. It has a bad orange peel look compared to Xpel Ultimate (which is self healing). The Xpel is by far the best product on the market. I spent $1800 USD on a full front end for my 335 installed. They don't use a pre-cut kit and roll the edges on every panel so it isn't noticeable unless I point it out. Find an installer to do a custom job and it'll last a long time and stay looking good.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
The film doesn't get rock chips and doesn't really take damage since it's a polymer and has "give" to it. Paint and clearcoat doesn't bend or take damage well. A piece of plastic does. I've had mine for 6 months and still looks new.

For what it's worth, the 3m film is garbage. It has a bad orange peel look compared to Xpel Ultimate (which is self healing). The Xpel is by far the best product on the market. I spent $1800 USD on a full front end for my 335 installed. They don't use a pre-cut kit and roll the edges on every panel so it isn't noticeable unless I point it out. Find an installer to do a custom job and it'll last a long time and stay looking good.
Ah well that's helpful, I'll look up Xpel Ultimate and get a UK quote.

And the link to the Blue BMW road rage article is priceless - I'll be circulating that around!
      12-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I have the 3 M film and I wouldn't say it's garbage. I accept the Xpel film is better, but then it costs a lot more as well.

I totally agree that a custom fit makes a lot of difference though, and this was of more importance to me than the extra expense of Xpel Ultimate. The reason for this is the only thing I dislike is seeing the edges, rather than the film itself, and a custom fit minimises this.

For me, ventureshield fitted perfectly, and then sealed with one of the newer nano-tech sealants will be just fine
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I double checked that quote and it appears that price is for the half bumper and half wings, so your price is better.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
Ah well that's helpful, I'll look up Xpel Ultimate and get a UK quote.
I did 2 months of research on films, I definitely was sold on the xpel. When you see the two films next to eachother, it's apparent how much more smooth the xpel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I have the 3 M film and I wouldn't say it's garbage. I accept the Xpel film is better, but then it costs a lot more as well.

I totally agree that a custom fit makes a lot of difference though, and this was of more importance to me than the extra expense of Xpel Ultimate. The reason for this is the only thing I dislike is seeing the edges, rather than the film itself, and a custom fit minimises this.

For me, ventureshield fitted perfectly, and then sealed with one of the newer nano-tech sealants will be just fine
Relative to the xpel, it's garbage
For me the only difference was $200... which when it has a longer warranty and you take care of it is worth it. Better than looking at rock chips and scratched paint

Also - note that if you put a sealant on the xpel, it negates all self-healing properties of the film
Appreciate 0