F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > HELP - F33 ACC Retrofit
Studio RSR

10-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
norgar
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: 320d F30

HELP - F33 ACC Retrofit

Hi guys..
i've ordered a new f33.. i've made a big mistake doing the order and i've forgot to insert the acc.

On the car i've got the lane departure assist, the high beam, park assistant, the driving assistant with emergency brake system (the car will brake if i didn't brake of if there is someone in front of the car) and the speed limit info.. so i think to have all the stuff to use the ACC... do you know is is possible to retrofit it just changing the cruise control command on the steering wheel and coding it?

regards
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

To retrofit ACC you need the radar sensor on the front of the car.
But there is no chance to activate this retrofit because an activation code is needed.
And this activation code you can not get or buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
HansiHinterseer
Rep
Drives: 2016 328d wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
But there is no chance to activate this retrofit because an activation code is needed.
And this activation code you can not get or buy.
Are you sure this has been confirmed? Based on my discussions with others (e.g. roxxor), no code is necessary.

Also, norgar, the ACC option is required for the full autonomous emergency braking system. Otherwise, to my knowledge, all you get is a collision warning and brake priming if you have DA+.

Nevertheless, even if no code is required, it's a very complex retrofit compared to doing so on an F10 LCI. See my thread on Bimmerfest for a *tentative* list of required parts.

The main challenges are:
1. Sourcing affordable ACC-enabled DSC and ICM units. ACC-equipped F3x cars are very rare, and finding used parts from these cars is even rarer.
2. Finding the correct DSC unit (the parts numbers printed on the units sold on eBay don't match those on RealOEM, etc.).
3. Replacing the brake lines. Unlike the F10, you need ACC-specific lines. Not horribly difficult to perform, but requires a proper workshop and skill.
4. Being the first person to install, adjust and code an ACC retrofit on the F3x.

The lowest cost I've computed so far for all parts was $1,858. That was with a $1,000 set of DSC+ICM+ACC sensor for sale on eBay UK back in June. Probably the cheapest amount you'd ever get these units for, but the provenance of the set stank (very likely Eastern European car theft ring) and I avoided that seller.

I haven't found a single ACC-compatible used DSC or ICM module on eBay since then, so I can't give you an idea of how much these units would cost individually. The ACC sensor is more readily available - often for around $350 - but that's also the part most likely to be damaged if it came from a salvage vehicle.

Lastly, even if you're impatient, you can probably forget about buying the ICM and DSC units new. The cheapest new DSC unit I've found costs $1,608 via Partacus, and the cheapest ICM costs $948 via the BMW Parts Store.

Bear in mind that the ACC option costs $1,200 from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansiHinterseer View Post
Are you sure this has been confirmed?
No.
I only read it on different web pages.