F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Chassis – Drive Moderately
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Chassis – Drive Moderately

I did some research on a little issue I experienced. But could not find anything definitive.

Anyone else experience the below?

I was driving, and a warning sprang up on the IDrive screen: Chassis – Drive Moderately.

I have DHP on my 435. From initial research I learned that this could be a fault with DHP.

It went away when I turned the car off and back on. Week later it happened again. In total I’d say perhaps on 5 different occasions did the warning illuminate. I would assume if anything was wrong, the issue would constant, and not go away and come back.

Also from little research, some folks stated that after taking their vehicle into the dealership, no code could be found or problem replicated.

Did anyone else experience this issue with their chassis? Any outcome?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
snelldogg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New to the stable. G87 BG, 6MT

I'm experiencing the exact same thing.

Bringing it in next week. Will let you know what they say.

2023 G87 BG, 6MT, Bi Color, Red Calipers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you take your car to the dealership so they can check it out.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelldogg View Post

cool...please do keep me posted. I think I will as well take it to dealership, its just i dont have so much time to deal with it. It comes and goes. Some other dude stated that the dealership couldnt find any fault codes or anything, it was as if nothing happened.

I gotta be honest, I am actually afraid of taking this car long trips or just having around bc i never know what will happen or what will breakdown. This car shut down on me, over-heated, 9 tires changed, noises coming from the vent and rattling from engine bay, creaking and cracking, weird steering wheel vibration and noises, and all in the past year and half. F this. Really tired of it. I've known all this, and what to expect from BMW. However, now that I am more reliant on using the car for more than the weekend warrior, i must say, im uneasy having this bimmer at my disposal for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
cool...please do keep me posted. I think I will as well take it to dealership, its just i dont have so much time to deal with it. It comes and goes. Some other dude stated that the dealership couldnt find any fault codes or anything, it was as if nothing happened.

I gotta be honest, I am actually afraid of taking this car long trips or just having around bc i never know what will happen or what will breakdown. This car shut down on me, over-heated, 9 tires changed, noises coming from the vent and rattling from engine bay, creaking and cracking, weird steering wheel vibration and noises, and all in the past year and half. F this. Really tired of it. I've known all this, and what to expect from BMW. However, now that I am more reliant on using the car for more than the weekend warrior, i must say, im uneasy having this bimmer at my disposal for everyday use.
Its a shame after paying so much money for this car to have that kind of feeling

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Spaghetti
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have had the same issue on my 2015 M235i with less than 600 miles on it. See http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157093
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by snelldogg View Post

That sucks to hear man. Sounds like you have a classic case of a lemon. Even possible that DHP may need a recall. However, BMW is very reluctant to recall cars going back to at least the 90s.

I say take it in just to document. See what our state's lemon laws are and try to get BMW to buy the car back from you. Worth a shot.

The creaking sounds seem normal unfortunately. My BMWs have all been a little noisy in the suspension area.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:

...and then there are those of us who've never had these symptoms show up after 2+ years of ownership. I just took mine on a 1500+ mile trip without a single hitch. Hope the dealer can determine what's going on, and if it persists and the dealership can't figure it out, open a case with BMW NA. You could possibly get a buyback or replacement, etc.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I did some research on a little issue I experienced. But could not find anything definitive.

Anyone else experience the below?

I was driving, and a warning sprang up on the IDrive screen: Chassis – Drive Moderately.

I have DHP on my 435. From initial research I learned that this could be a fault with DHP.

It went away when I turned the car off and back on. Week later it happened again. In total I’d say perhaps on 5 different occasions did the warning illuminate. I would assume if anything was wrong, the issue would constant, and not go away and come back.

Also from little research, some folks stated that after taking their vehicle into the dealership, no code could be found or problem replicated.

Did anyone else experience this issue with their chassis? Any outcome?

Thanks!
Faulty front acceleration sensor. For cars with DHP, that'll trip the Chassis - Drive Moderately code.

Mine had that issue about 3 months into ownership, replaced that under warranty and all was well.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Faulty front acceleration sensor. For cars with DHP, that'll trip the Chassis - Drive Moderately code.

Mine had that issue about 3 months into ownership, replaced that under warranty and all was well.
dude let me ask you, for your faulty sensor, did they say what this faulty sensor could cause? (not What caused it, rather what its not doing as its supposed to)...thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
dude let me ask you, for your faulty sensor, did they say what this faulty sensor could cause? (not What caused it, rather what its not doing as its supposed to)...thanks
Nah they didn't tell me anything other than that they traced the issue to a faulty acceleration sensor and replaced it under warranty.

I can try to take a look at the work order when I get home to see if that has any extra info.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #12
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

It affects the stability system IIRC, might link in to some other stuff as well, probably shares info with the ABS. Which is weird, cause ABS doesn't work on ice which is where you would think an acceleration sensor would shine.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
It affects the stability system IIRC, might link in to some other stuff as well, probably shares info with the ABS. Which is weird, cause ABS doesn't work on ice which is where you would think an acceleration sensor would shine.
as in traction control function of this BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
as in traction control function of this BMW?
Traction control SHOULD be handled directly by the ABS wheel sensor. Stability control is different and is designed to keep body roll and over steer in check.

I am not intimately familiar with exactly how BMW programs their systems but an acceleration sensor senses inertia which is a prime requirement for stability (and Airbag systems but they have their own dedicated sensors).
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock

Last edited by Thumper333; 08-04-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Traction control SHOULD be handled directly by the ABS wheel sensor. Stability control is different and is designed to keep body roll and over steer in check.

I am not intimately familiar with exactly how BMW programs their systems but an acceleration sensor senses inertia which is a prime requirement for stability (and Aribag systems but they have their own dedicated sensors).
Got it. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
ah3
Private
Rep
Drives: 435GC

Quote:
I had the same error, was told by dealer it's the vertical acceleration sensor related to DHP and it wasn't an safety issue. I guess it probably just affects how DHP adjusts the dampers?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 02:13 AM   #17
S5050
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

BMW F30

I've also got these lights that just recently popped up anyone got any idea what it could be[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

12-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It means you need to use an OBD diagnostic tool to pull the fault codes and see what's going on. Since the ABS light is on chances are it's an ABS sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #19
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
I had the same symptom on my old DHP F30.

Here's the laundry list of things done to the car to finally fix it:
  • Update I-Step per SIB 12-15-13
  • Replace right-front vertical acceleration sensor
  • Replace pigtail harness for right-front vertical acceleration sensor
  • Replaced ICM

Car was out of service for two months across three different visits while they were trying to figure it out. Dealer had to get help from BMW too (PUMA case).