F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Indentations in the dash reflect onto the windscreen
ARMA SPEED

02-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Indentations in the dash reflect onto the windscreen

I have taken a few 3 series cars for a test drive, and I keep getting put off by the same thing. There are two indentations on top of the dash. The one in front of the driver is for the HUD console, and the one in the middle is for the center speaker for those who opt for the HK system. The problem is that when I drove during the day, the indentations reflected onto the windscreen. The one for the HUD console in particular reflected onto the windscreen directly in line with my field of vision. I have driven cars both without HUD and the HK system, and with HUD and the HK system, and I have found the reflections annoying on both. Is it just me? Perhaps we just get too much sun in South Africa. In a way I am glad that I held off my purchase because I really like the new GT, and I look forward to test driving it later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
I have taken a few 3 series cars for a test drive, and I keep getting put off by the same thing. There are two indentations on top of the dash. The one in front of the driver is for the HUD console, and the one in the middle is for the center speaker for those who opt for the HK system. The problem is that when I drove during the day, the indentations reflected onto the windscreen. The one for the HUD console in particular reflected onto the windscreen directly in line with my field of vision. I have driven cars both without HUD and the HK system, and with HUD and the HK system, and I have found the reflections annoying on both. Is it just me? Perhaps we just get too much sun in South Africa. In a way I am glad that I held off my purchase because I really like the new GT, and I look forward to test driving it later in the year.
And to add to the reflection if you get brushed aluminum trim at times its a PITA. When the sun hits it just right it reflects on the display screen and on the windshield.Good luck
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Hmmm drove 800 miles now and haven't noticed any annoying reflections. I do have the HUD, so maybe I don't notice the reflection of the actual housing? But even then never noticed any annoying reflection from the center speaker part either. Maybe we have different focal points while driving, shrug.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Nikor
Israel
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

BJB

I know what you mean, i see it too, hope ill get use to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Annoying as they may be, and I do sympathize, but I wondered something when I read this. Does BMW charge extra for the reflections?

OK, jokes aside, have you tried making a minor seating shift to see what happens re: your comfort and the reflections? I had a similar issue with some of my E92's dashboard lights reflecting into the driver's side mirror at night. It was a little annoying, but when I see it and move either my seat or the mirror just a bit, it goes away.

BTW, good thread. This is the kind of things prospective buyers might not be aware of, so it's worth pointing out. TY

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

i felt the same in my E90 but i bought this which made it go away:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-M-M-...-/170862453394
The shinnier the material is the worse you will see the reflection, so just cover it with something non reflective
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep

INDENTATIONS IN Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Annoying as they may be, and I do sympathize, but I wondered something when I read this. Does BMW charge extra for the reflections?

OK, jokes aside, have you tried making a minor seating shift to see what happens re: your comfort and the reflections? I had a similar issue with some of my E92's dashboard lights reflecting into the driver's side mirror at night. It was a little annoying, but when I see it and move either my seat or the mirror just a bit, it goes away.

BTW, good thread. This is the kind of things prospective buyers might not be aware of, so it's worth pointing out. TY

Good luck.
Thanks for your feedback, Tony. Next time I take a 3 series for a drive, I'll try make a few adjustments to my seating position. I reckon sun glasses might also do the trick. If I have any success, I'll report back. However, as mentioned, I'm probably going to wait for the GT before I test drive another 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
i felt the same in my E90 but i bought this which made it go away:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-M-M-...-/170862453394
The shinnier the material is the worse you will see the reflection, so just cover it with something non reflective
Thanks for your recommendation. If all else fails, I'll certainly consider it. I prefer, if possible, to maintain the car as stock as possible.

From the relatively low number of responses, I can only assume that this is not an issue for most people, or it's something that you quickly get used to. I mentioned it to a number of BMW sales people and all of them told me that I was the first person to raise the reflection as an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I find the amount reflections no different than any other car. My guess is your height is such that the incident angle of the windshield is perfect to direct the reflection to your eyes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Is it just me?
No. I have both and I have the same reflections. At times, I can even see 3 sets of reflections from the HUD. The main cut out, the inner cut out and the screen reflection.

Maybe when it's summer in the northern hemisphere, more people will understand what you posted.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

On one occasion, I saw the cutout of the HUD reflected into the window. I think this was simply a rare combination of the angle of the sun, and the direction I was driving. It was annoying, but gone in minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
No. I have both and I have the same reflections. At times, I can even see 3 sets of reflections from the HUD. The main cut out, the inner cut out and the screen reflection.

Maybe when it's summer in the northern hemisphere, more people will understand what you posted.
Yeah, I see the reflections quite a bit, especially the HUD components reflecting back.

But then again I can see the dash reflecting on the windscreen of nearly every car I drive.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I find the amount reflections no different than any other car. My guess is your height is such that the incident angle of the windshield is perfect to direct the reflection to your eyes.
That is my feeling, but reflections do happen, get it in my F11, particularly from the HUD projector surround.

Plenty of discussion about reflections in the 5-series section of the forum. One of the best rants was on one of the UK motoring sites, Honest John.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/an...-in-windscreen

Quote:
I'm afraid that you ordered the car with this trim and what you are suffering is the consequence. You could have ordered a car with a black dash top, but you didn't. That said, most F10s and F30s suffer a reflection of the heads-up projector. If you persuade your brain to ignore the reflection it won't bother you. That's how everyone else copes.

Love the reply..... totally agree on the brain ignoring it, or we let it take over and it can become an obsession. Plus this issue is not a BMW only issue, just make a search and see how wide spead it is.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
On one occasion, I saw the cutout of the HUD reflected into the window. I think this was simply a rare combination of the angle of the sun, and the direction I was driving. It was annoying, but gone in minutes.
+1
I'll take that over not have HUD at all. I love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
vern
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikor View Post
BJB

I know what you mean, i see it too, hope ill get use to it.
I'm going to try a pair of sun glasses that are not polarized and see if that helps.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

You get used to it.
      02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
vern
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
You get used to it.
I don't know about others but I'm not and I have my car for 9 months 8,700 + miles.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
You get used to it.
You can always see it during the sunshine, which is annoying and distracting. I don't think you get used to it, but it gets put in the back of you mind when you have to focus on the road further ahead.

It's 90% HUD and 10% front speaker for me. Still loving the HUD and all what it offers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I see it very rarely, usually when I'm not driving if you can believe that. Either I've blocked it out to where I don't notice it, or it's mostly due to seating position/sunlight (obviously) and the perfect storm doesn't happen often (for me at least).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

it's your height and the amount of Sun in SA....I rarely notice it.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

bad glare sometimes

My glare is bad and very distracting at times.. this is more than a case of a simple dash reflection. Here is a shot taken with my iPhone.. but it gets worse than this too:

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

The bright spot is caused from the sun reflecting off of the plastic housing surrounding the hud.. I was actually researching getting some alacantra type material and wrapping it myself (I have the m-perf interior so it may not look too bad). Basically, they need to cover the reflective plastic parts with non-reflective materials. I can deal with (but it still can be annoying) the center channel speaker reflection, but this has to be some kind of safety issue.
Appreciate 0