F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Buyers Remorse
GetBMWParts

12-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Buyers Remorse

Do any of you have buyers remorse? The reason I ask, there are quite a few used 2014 328i GT's in my area. In fact, the used stock rivals the new inventory. Most have very low miles ( < 5000 ). One actually is a 2015 and has 25 miles, so somebody must have hated it or it was a lemon.

Im just curious as to why so many people would dump it relatively soon after purchasing.

Maybe its just the 328i being not powerful enough? There is only one used 335i GT.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I think you hit the nail on the head with the last 2 sentences. The GT is around 4,000lbs. You need more power than the little 2.0 Turbo can muster. I question the decision to even sell the gas 328 here. I think the diesel would have fared better, because of its instant torque and low rpm characteristics. In traffic, like you have in the DC area, the diesel would be highly preferable to the gas motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Perhaps they were demo cars? When I drove the 328i GT i felt it had enough pep in it for me. Not as quick as the 335 GT, but for that vehicle I didn't feel it was worth the extra cost. In the end we kept our X5, but I think we would have been perfectly happy with the 328GT.
      12-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, interesting ideas. Demos are certainly a possibility.

I agree on the diesel, especially the larger variety they sell in europe that matches the 328i in acceleration, but gets 40mpg+ on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
B5rider
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX GT

I have had my car for 35 days, and it has been in the shop for the last 6 with no end in sight. It started having a loud squeaking noise in the rear suspension whenever the weight transferred fore and aft. They initially thought it was the axle carrier, but the noise remained after retightening everything. The dealer called BMWNA and they recommended swapping out the rear axles and maybe some new bearings. I don't know, but I've only made 1 payment and I'm starting to seriously wonder about reliability. My last BMW was an 08 535iX wagon, which I loved; It was practical, fast, good looking, and fun to drive for a large wagon. I traded it in because it had 6k miles left on the warranty and I had already replaced many, many items on it (HPFP, injectors, oil pan seal, oil filter housing, sunroof seal, front A arms, water pump, power steering pump, rear hatch actuator piston, front seat motor, both VANOS, front strut bearing...). These are still fun cars to own, just NEVER own one without a warranty. NEVER. EVER!!
I'm glad it's a lease because I will seriously consider other cars in 3 years.
That said, I really like the room in the GT. I was going to get a 5 series, but found the GT bigger and more unique (some say awkward) to look at. My wife LOVES the panamera and she found the GT a nice alternative.
I wish I could have found one with HIDs, but they were nowhere to be found. Gas mileage is hovering around 21mpg with mostly city driving, which I though low before I realized it is a very heavy car. It is a great touring, highway car which is comfortable and stable. Overall, I like it but just don't think I would get another one. I'll wait for the 5 series wagon to get here...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Also part of the problem may be the suspension. I just picked up my 335 GT M-Sport DHP and this shit is HARSH. I'm thinking its probably the runflats, so I'll get rid of them later this week, but coming from the 750, I'm not thrilled with the harsh ride of this car. How do you adjust the DHP settings? I have ride control on Comfort, does that adjust it?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
Do any of you have buyers remorse? The reason I ask, there are quite a few used 2014 328i GT's in my area. In fact, the used stock rivals the new inventory. Most have very low miles ( < 5000 ). One actually is a 2015 and has 25 miles, so somebody must have hated it or it was a lemon.

Im just curious as to why so many people would dump it relatively soon after purchasing.

Maybe its just the 328i being not powerful enough? There is only one used 335i GT.
I specifically shopped one like this. I don't like buying a brand new car and would prefer to not pay the premium of a new vehicle. Most of these are demo cars. Many of the ones that I came across were either a dealer loaner car or an executive one. For most of them, the mileage was not accurate as they were still in the loaner program. It seems that dealers will post them while they are still being used as demo/loaner cars. Why do dealers use these cars as loaners? I have it feeling it was because they're not that popular and many of them have just sat on the lot without interest.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Also part of the problem may be the suspension. I just picked up my 335 GT M-Sport DHP and this shit is HARSH. I'm thinking its probably the runflats, so I'll get rid of them later this week, but coming from the 750, I'm not thrilled with the harsh ride of this car. How do you adjust the DHP settings? I have ride control on Comfort, does that adjust it?
I have a 335GT M-Sport with 19s, and I'm very pleased with the ride. I'm really surprised to hear yours is so harsh. Just a thought, but could the dealer have forgotten to remove the spacers (I think that's what they're called)? I realize we're talking NYC roads versus Ohio rural roads, but still, I can't see how yours could be riding harsh.

That said, my partner has commented a couple of times that our Audi S5 has a better ride. I agree with him, but the difference is only a little. We traded a 2008 BMW 335 convertible for the Audi and the BMW had the sport package with low profile 19s. The ride was so harsh it felt like wheels were wooden. But the GT doesn't even compare to the 2008 BMW. Even in Sport mode the ride is very compliant.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder if DHP in comfort is less compliant than the base suspension over bumps. I mean, it might be better at absorbing small imperfections, but large bumps or potholes might throw off the software. The base suspension felt very soft to me, softer than the A6 I drove for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
I have a 335GT M-Sport with 19s, and I'm very pleased with the ride. I'm really surprised to hear yours is so harsh. Just a thought, but could the dealer have forgotten to remove the spacers (I think that's what they're called)? I realize we're talking NYC roads versus Ohio rural roads, but still, I can't see how yours could be riding harsh.

That said, my partner has commented a couple of times that our Audi S5 has a better ride. I agree with him, but the difference is only a little. We traded a 2008 BMW 335 convertible for the Audi and the BMW had the sport package with low profile 19s. The ride was so harsh it felt like wheels were wooden. But the GT doesn't even compare to the 2008 BMW. Even in Sport mode the ride is very compliant.
I'm wondering if the springs need to seat and break in. The rear ones are squeaking like crazy over bumps, so thats all I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
thx217
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335iX GT + MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post

Yea, mine doesn't remotely feel like what was been described and I'm in downtown SF.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
thx217
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm wondering if the springs need to seat and break in. The rear ones are squeaking like crazy over bumps, so thats all I can think of.
You should definitely take it back in for a check up.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

You guys with the smooth ride, do you also have the DHP suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
thx217
Private
Rep

Yup.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'll see what's going on with my car. I made an appointment with the dealer. Soonest they had was 1/2/15 though, so I may have it jacked up someplace else before that and see if the blocks are in the springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #16
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
You guys with the smooth ride, do you also have the DHP suspension?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #17
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hate to say it, but you might be having similar issues B5rider is having with his.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep

OK so everyone is on the same suspension, good. Just wanted to make sure everyone was comparing the same thing. Also, in the DHP thread, posters were saying that the x-drive base suspension is softer than DHP, but they were not elaborating on comfort or sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #19
B5rider
Rep

Finally got a call from the bmw dealer and they said it was the rear axle which would need to be swapped out. Should be done by tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
limal45
Rep
Drives: 2014 mineral grey 328iGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5rider View Post
Finally got a call from the bmw dealer and they said it was the rear axle which would need to be swapped out. Should be done by tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it
i have the 328i mtech and the roads here in saudi leve a lot to be desired but the suspensio copes well, i leave it in comfort mode most of the time and it's fine - i've had the car 6 weeks now and no complaints at all, jusy what i would expect from a beemer. i am surprised to hear about all the suspension 'problems'. the engine is starting to loosen up now and i'm finding plenty of power, would always prefer more [last car being m3] but it's fine - hope it stays that way!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
B5rider
Rep

It might be 2 weeks until they get the part from Germany.
It's definitely the axle that was bad.
Oh well, I'm putting plenty of miles on the loaner!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Yeah BMW has lagged in QC . We picked up 2 cars this summer and both have had some issues.

The 2015 335 GT loaded, with DHP has a creak in the front right area. First thought it was suspension. They re-tentioned and problem persisted. They finally determined (using a stethoscope) it to be a faulty motor mount. WOW only 1,100 miles on the car. Taking it today for installation of the new mount. Should be complete by 12/31/2014

The M235 is having its 2nd LSD installed less than 500 miles on LSD. Due to clicking sound. Also massive creaking coming from Headliner. Waiting on solution.

I'm sure they will get them fixed. The cars are awesome and the suspension is great on both Cars.

Mark L. What tires are you running on your GT? We have the 19 ContiContactSport RXX5 (forgot the letters) very new performance runflat. Most GT's I have seen come with Pirelli Pzero which is a nice tire. I think the Conti is actually a bit more comfortable.

I will run these down to return limit and replace with Non Runflat Michelin PSS That is a great handling tire and is very very comfortable. Then if I do a lease return I will reinstall the Run Flats as required.

Take your car to a parking lot with Speed bumps and roll over them at around 5mph in Sport+ and feel how the suspension handles rebound as the car comes down from the speed bump (firm) Then repeat in Comport Mode and feel the difference (bouncy and soft). Its very cool.. If yours is not noticeable you may need to have them check it. Also Tire presure and weather can contribute significatly to tire comfort. I run about 3lbs above normal recommended front and rear. Cold tires which Im sure you have on the East Coast can make run flats harsh.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0