F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Planning on moving away from diesel...
Studio RSR

02-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

...at the end of the year. Currently driving an F31 330D with MPPK. A very fine car, although it rarely sets your pulse racing.

I'm after a reasonably spec'd petrol hatchback or a small petrol estate with enough power to be entertaining. Happy to spend around £30k after discounts.

I like the idea of an M140i but don't love its looks enough to take the plunge. I don't want a Golf R as I live in London and don't want my house broken into...

Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully received
      02-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
sweet coffee
Rep
Drives: 340i M Performance MPPSK

I have had a E91 330D, then a X3 30d and now a F31 340i equipped with MPPSK. Huge difference. It is so much fun, the biggest difference is you want to hear the engine roar and so you always want to push it over 4000rpm. It's like a swiss knife. It does everything and brings lots of pleasure. Now the negative point... If you do mostly city driving (London), let's say 90% of your driving, it is frustrating because you hardly can use that much power. The speed climbs so fast, as soon as you hit 4000rpm (where the real excitment starts), you have to push on the brakes...
I have driven the 330i and it is also very fast and much more discreet. The flat 6 gets heads turned around all the time.
A car you should definitely test drive, if you haven't already is the mini John cooper works or Cooper S with the special exhaust. It is a blast to drive, more entertaining than the F31 340i. The only downside aside from a smaller trunk, it is a little less comfortable and more cabin noise while driving. Try it, it will put a banana smile on your face, especially with the special exhaust (flaps controlled via bluetooth)
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet coffee View Post
I have had a E91 330D, then a X3 30d and now a F31 340i equipped with MPPSK. Huge difference. It is so much fun, the biggest difference is you want to hear the engine roar and so you always want to push it over 4000rpm. It's like a swiss knife. It does everything and brings lots of pleasure. Now the negative point... If you do mostly city driving (London), let's say 90% of your driving, it is frustrating because you hardly can use that much power. The speed climbs so fast, as soon as you hit 4000rpm (where the real excitment starts), you have to push on the brakes...
I have driven the 330i and it is also very fast and much more discreet. The flat 6 gets heads turned around all the time.
A car you should definitely test drive, if you haven't already is the mini John cooper works or Cooper S with the special exhaust. It is a blast to drive, more entertaining than the F31 340i. The only downside aside from a smaller trunk, it is a little less comfortable and more cabin noise while driving. Try it, it will put a banana smile on your face, especially with the special exhaust (flaps controlled via bluetooth)

Trying to not stick to the stereotype but still providing advice (having owned two 330Ds and a 340i).

I'd say get a 340i. I genuinely think it fixes all of your issues.
Appreciate 1