F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you hate your steering?
ARMA SPEED

11-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #221
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
Took my car in today to Bill Jacobs in Naperville today to be looked at for the steering. Made sure I got Don for my adviser as he's an enthusiast. Drove a 328 on the highway and noted much improvement at 80 MPH. I'm hoping they can get to the issue on my wagon. The 328 had 17" wheels and my wagon has 18" wheels, but the difference seemed bigger than that, but who knows.
Good luck!
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #222
Posull78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can someone try this please?

I recently purchased 2014 335i with Dynamic Handling Package. It is a CPO.
The steering feel is really strange and inconsistent, most noticeable in "sport mode". The best way to describe is "notchy" or uneven, as in the resistance is there, but inconsistent and not smooth when I'm turning the wheel.

Still trying to determine if this is normal (hope not). I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have it looked at, but would love some feedback before I do that.

Can someone do this and tell me what they experience?
Put in "sport mode" and while driving between 30 & 40 mph, start swerving back and forth in your lane with a very light touch on the steering wheel. This will be even more noticeable when slowing down from 35 down to about 25.

At least for me, it seems like the car is hesitating on the amount of resistance to give the wheel. It's uneven and not smooth as I keep turning the wheel back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #223
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posull78 View Post
I recently purchased 2014 335i with Dynamic Handling Package. It is a CPO.
The steering feel is really strange and inconsistent, most noticeable in "sport mode". The best way to describe is "notchy" or uneven, as in the resistance is there, but inconsistent and not smooth when I'm turning the wheel.

Still trying to determine if this is normal (hope not). I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have it looked at, but would love some feedback before I do that.

Can someone do this and tell me what they experience?
Put in "sport mode" and while driving between 30 & 40 mph, start swerving back and forth in your lane with a very light touch on the steering wheel. This will be even more noticeable when slowing down from 35 down to about 25.

At least for me, it seems like the car is hesitating on the amount of resistance to give the wheel. It's uneven and not smooth as I keep turning the wheel back and forth.
That's probably the Variable Sport Steering. The amount the car's wheel turns varies in a non linear way to the amount you turn the steering wheel

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #224
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

The Comfort steering is super light, but very precise and predictable. I don't mind it very much. Punch it into sport mode though and its a different story. It's beefy and feels awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #225
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Tire selection will have zero impact on steering weight.
This is incorrect.

Tires can and will change effort required at the wheel.
Tread design, compound, shape, and size will all effect the weight of the steering.
In addition, stiffer sidewalls will also firm the steering up a bit, in both effort and response.

My back to back comparisons on my own car...
Michelin PS2 RFT ZP - Most weighty and most responsive.
MIchelin PSS - slightly less weighty and a bit duller steering response.
BFG Comp 2 A/S Sport - lighter steering and less sharp response.
Continental DWS - Ultra light, fluffy, and dull steering response.

Some tires physically put more tire on the ground, even in the same figment size. PSS and PS2 are good examples. In addition, their sticky tread creates more friction between the road surface and the tire. The stiff sidewalls remove a bit of play in the actual tire when you turn the wheel, leading to less slop and firmer steering.

Tires do change steering effort. You can even find this fact referenced in several tire rack reviews/tests. I remember replacing the Michelin MXV4's on my Accord back in 98 to Dunlop SP Sport 8000 performance tires. The steering firmed and sharpened drastically with the change.

If you switch between two similar tires, you may not notice the difference. But it is there and more noticeable when your tire change is more dramatic. A lot of people also note winter tires having grossly light weight and accuracy.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #226
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

After a go around with the dealership, basically need a software update for the steering. Dealers definitely understand it's an issue, takes more complaining from owners.

I have found the comfort steering configured in the sports mode is more precise. The stiffer steering in sports mode is just stiffer, but also twitchy on center and more understeer at higher speeds. I've never had a car with this light of steering having started driving with man-power steering )
      11-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #227
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
After a go around with the dealership, basically need a software update for the steering. Dealers definitely understand it's an issue, takes more complaining from owners.
So there is a reprogram for the steering? Is this free of charge?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #228
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:

I have found the comfort steering configured in the sports mode is more precise. The stiffer steering in sports mode is just stiffer, but also twitchy on center and more understeer at higher speeds. I've never had a car with this light of steering having started driving with man-power steering )
Whatever vintage in the F30, the steering is ridiculously light. I don't see any need for it to be this extremely light. I think it's a knee jerk reaction to people coming to BMW from Japanese cars that it was too "heavy" in previous models. Unfortunate. But honestly I could live with that if the feedback hadn't disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #229
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
So there is a reprogram for the steering? Is this free of charge?
Not for the 2016 models yet. I've seen some posts for older models, say 12 and 13.
      11-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #230
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Whatever vintage in the F30, the steering is ridiculously light. I don't see any need for it to be this extremely light. I think it's a knee jerk reaction to people coming to BMW from Japanese cars that it was too "heavy" in previous models. Unfortunate. But honestly I could live with that if the feedback hadn't disappeared.
It is amazing they gave up the best selling point for their cars reason for being.
      11-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #231
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
All three German makes are doing this. Mercedes used to have numb but heavy steering; no longer. Audi has ridiculously light steering. Some apparently prefer it to BMW because they say it has more feedback. I thought it was so light and disconnected that it was unenjoyable buy ymmv.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #232
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
It is amazing they gave up the best selling point for their cars reason for being.
Enthusiasts and people on forums are a very small % of buyers for these cars. For every 2-3 people they lost because the steering was to light they gained another 10.

Steering has gotten progressively worse in BMWs as time goes on. People here act like the e90 setup was awesome. But compared to the e36 and e46 it's feedback is tragic

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #233
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Best selling point for who? Not for the typical BMW owner. I loved the E90 steering but there is no question that it was heavy just off center. Probably too heavy for that typical buyer. They went too far in the F30 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #234
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Enthusiasts and people on forums are a very small % of buyers for these cars. For every 2-3 people they lost because the steering was to light they gained another 10.

Steering has gotten progressively worse in BMWs as time goes on. People here act like the e90 setup was awesome. But compared to the e36 and e46 it's feedback is tragic
My '06 E91 was very similar to an E46 I had driven previously. Then later in the model years, say 2010, I got an E90 loaner and was surprised how much they had lightened the steering.
      11-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #235
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Best selling point for who? Not for the typical BMW owner. I loved the E90 steering but there is no question that it was heavy just off center. Probably too heavy for that typical buyer. They went too far in the F30 IMO.
We had users in the U.K. complaining about the heavy steering weight of the E9x models. Plus we need to remember BMW fitted EPS to many European E9x models, so many users got used to EPS and lighter steering ahead of the F3x models. Hardly any complaints to my knowledge. I guess BMW didn't anticipate the 'hate' from some users.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #236
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Not for the 2016 models yet. I've seen some posts for older models, say 12 and 13.
I have a 2012 and I have never heard anything about a steering reprogram...... I have to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #237
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We had users in the U.K. complaining about the heavy steering weight of the E9x models. Plus we need to remember BMW fitted EPS to many European E9x models, so many users got used to EPS and lighter steering ahead of the F3x models. Hardly any complaints to my knowledge. I guess BMW didn't anticipate the 'hate' from some users.
I had no idea BMW put EPS into some E90 models in Europe. Looks like it was predominantly in diesel powered vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 03:16 AM   #238
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I had no idea BMW put EPS into some E90 models in Europe. Looks like it was predominantly in diesel powered vehicles.
Diesel is the volume market over here, so not surprising EPS got into the popular models first. When you are limited to (or choose to) drive a 320d, steering is not necessarily going to be the biggest issue anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #239
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I have a 2011 but was built Sept 2010 335i w sport pkg and I still own it, it's out of warranty. I recently had work done on my car at the dealership and they gave me a 2016 328 w sport pkg as a loaner and the steering is totally different than mine, the loaner steering is super light, I barely had to turn the steering wheel but worse there was no steering feel on the highway or around town. My car the steering is much heavier but it's felt more precise on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #240
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
In my experience this is wrong. Go flat tires with softer sidewalls definitely affect the steering weight. I would also think that the softer the compound the heavier the effort although this may be incremental.

Interesting that a poster above had the opposite experience.

Overall, I hated the F30 steering. The worst part was the lack of feel just off center. There's nothing there and it only gets slightly better at higher speeds. I now drive a 2017 VW GTI and it's EPS is far better than that of my F30. It's progressive and just off center it's excellent.
I have both a 2017 GTI SE and an F30 and agree 100%. I also prefer the suspension and overall road feel in the GTI. The factory LSD works wonders too.

It's a great car that makes for an interesting perspective. A well optioned GTI can be had for under 30k brand new, or a well optioned 330i or 340i could be had for 50-60k. I love BMW, but in this case I don't think the extra price is justified.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4649.00
      11-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #241
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335is 6MT, 15 GTI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
Quote:

I think this is memory playing tricks, driving my dad's E46 back to back with my E92 the E92 100% has the pinnacle of assisted steering feedback. The E46 is over boosted. That said they were both great and the F30 was garbage, better now but still garbage by comparison, more resistance does not mean more feedback. I'm hopeful the G20 will resolve some of this but I doubt it, its probably another 2-3 generations for electric racks to get to the level of the last hydraulics. I mean it's obvious considering it took decades for hydraulics to become what they ended as and it's only been 10 years (more or less) for mass market electric racks.
      11-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #242
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Strange that so many on this discussion seem to like the VSS as all the motoring press test reviews I've read seem to suggest leaving it off the options list because it actually doesn't work that well (as a few people have said above it seems to give a strange feeling to the steering at certain speeds and under certain conditions) I therefore found it a no brainer to give it a miss! I suppose any attempt to electronically recreate the feel of traditional hydraulic steering is going to fail to some degree!
Appreciate 0