F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d Touring in BMW Car Magazine - Much Better Review
proTUNING Freaks

11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The 328i I tried was running 18" Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF, they are rated as quite a quiet tyre at 69 dB, so very surprised they gave so much noise into the car.

BTW, I'm on 18" Continental SportContact 3 SSR, rated at 72dB, which appear a lot quieter by comparison, but the 5-series is a much more refined car, so probably not a good comparison. But when testing the 328i was running my E91 330d, so noticed how bad the F30 was compared to my car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

My exact words about the run-flat tyres, when I tested the car back in March and put a review on the internet.

Quote:
Once on the motorway, a variety of conditions, hills, sweeping curves and different surfaces, all handled without fuss and drama, car holds a very precise line, no influences (meaning negative influences from the run-flat tyres) coming back from the road through the steering. Just the road surfaces could generate a lot of road noise, but totally surface dependant. In fact that was the only real negative about the car for me, something I later raised with Colin Grassick. He is not sure about this issue, as it does appear some tyres are worse than others, but he’s not yet decided ‘what is what’ as it is very surface influenced, as I had noticed.
The tyre noise issue was obviously something the garage were also picking up.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The 328i I tried was running 18" Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF, they are rated as quite a quiet tyre at 69 dB, so very surprised they gave so much noise into the car.

BTW, I'm on 18" Continental SportContact 3 SSR, rated at 72dB, which appear a lot quieter by comparison, but the 5-series is a much more refined car, so probably not a good comparison. But when testing the 328i was running my E91 330d, so noticed how bad the F30 was compared to my car.

HighlandPete
One important factor, the noise rating on a tyre is done from a drive by.

RFT because of the hard sidewalls....transmit that NVH into the suspension better than standard tyres. So might be quiet as a standard tyre, but more noise is 'felt' through the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I already go slightly potty driving down the concrete parts of the M42. I'm sure Mr Harmon and Mr Kardon will help me to ignore that soon enough though
      11-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #27
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

HighlandPete
I have the contisports on this loaner 328i touring and they are quiet.
      11-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

The loan car has just been collected (boo hoo) and I remembered to check what brand the tyres are - Bridgestone, as experienced as noisy by HighlandPete. It does give me some hope that 17" SE standard wheels might not be as noisy, but also that another brand of 18" might be OK - though I am not going to get myself into the lottery of "hoping" not to get the noisy brand... too expensive-risky
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop north View Post
Yes, quite sure thanks I am not in the habit of making things up - not that you have any way of knowing that of course I did point out that two colleagues disagreed with me, and also said that I have a bit of a thing about tyre noise, so it is quite a personal thing

Did a 50-mile trip today, with my wife as passenger - and here might be the answer: she really hated the wind noise, but she thought the road noise was absolutely fine. I am the other way round - the tyre noise is extremely irritating, frankly, and means I could not live with the car on 18" wheels. If it's not better on smaller wheels, I will not be getting one (and yes I can afford it, thanks, so no "envy" here if that's what you're thinking ). I have a business I can put it through, though by the time I pay tax on the benefit I might as well buy privately

There was more wind noise today, perhaps because it is windier, I am not sure

But it seems that the frequency / pitch of the noise from tyres drives me nuts (very close to giving me a headache today after 20 minutes on the Mway to Blackpool from Preston), whereas the frequency / pitch of the wind noise irritates the lovely Helen.

Jolly annoying as in every other major respect, I thought the 330d might be just the car for me - reminded me of my lovely E39 530d (and an E39 525d touring I had before that) in many ways. I really don't want a bigger car than the F30 but I want hush and waftability more than rapidity
There is a "FIX" for cars that leave the factory with "wind noises" BMW are well aware of it , and should not have sent you out in a car not rectified, they change the front windscreen surround trims and replace all door seals, thats the only way to stop the noise.
My first test drive in the M Sport saloon had me back to the dealership complaining of said noise and it was just unacceptable if they had not given me other cars to try which had been put right there is no way I would have ordered one.
      11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #30
oop north
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
There is a "FIX" for cars that leave the factory with "wind noises" BMW are well aware of it , and should not have sent you out in a car not rectified, they change the front windscreen surround trims and replace all door seals, thats the only way to stop the noise.
That's helpful, thanks - will be driving another couple of cars to confirm tyre noise anyway, so will keep an ear out for wind noise
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #31
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop north View Post
That's helpful, thanks - will be driving another couple of cars to confirm tyre noise anyway, so will keep an ear out for wind noise
I wish you were closer to me (Norfolk) I would let you drive this car I have, it has no real wind/tyre noises up to 85MPH thats all I have taken it too so far.
      11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
oop north
Private First Class
Rep

No worries - the dealer needs to persuade me, that's their job. I am still concerned as there seems to be a problem with my ears hearing a particular frequency worse than others, that frequency being specific to tyre noise

I had a really fantastic drive across country last night (took a friend out to the pub) - I am happy with the handling of the SE with standard suspension, so no need to look to M Sport at all (for me). Would like to get HK, sport seats and visibility pack, I think, as a minimum - and i could possibly go for a touring. The F30 is the only thing that has grabbed me, really, though my wife isn't keen - not sure I want to find out how long it would take her to forgive me though...

Dealer trying to get me interested in one of the special deal 320EDs (auto, metallic, bus nav, leather, heated seats, sun prot glass for 326 + VAT a month for 20k miles pa over 3 years - biut none of the three things I really want!) - think they might be getting bored of me humming and harring so much as I have been emailing them for about a year now, and they just want me to buy something!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
It's their job to listen, but it's your money! I say humm and harr as long as you like

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #34
oop north
Private First Class
Rep

Fair point Am driving ED on Monday, though I reckon I would be happier with 330D. Even at £4k extra over three years!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
Jonas330d
Rep
Drives: 330d orderd

I don't have a disturbing tire noise on my f31 330d,but indeed once you pass 160km/h you hear the wind blowing on the car,never notice it on lower speed. Engine is great!!! Gearbox is a masterpiece (sportautomatic) I had in the last 2 years: the mercedes c 220,E92 320d,and the E91 320d this is the best one yet comfort is amazing even on 18's didn't go for the adaptive suspension. Everything alse was checked on the option list.
Ps the black panel is a must on the car don't forget to order it!!!( that and the camera in the trunk due to the sice)
And for the people who are hesitating between the 320 and the 330 !!!! Go for it! Each acceleration is worth it!!!
It isn't agressive due to the gearbox i think,but it is amazing...
I am just annoyed by the range,if you drive like me (sport 90%) it is around 500km's I am always around 10,3 liters/100km...but once you are overtaking a car with this power/couple it makes you forget it
It pusches you indeed in the back of you're seat,gently but firm

For me the options that I like the most are;

Black panel,iphone and gps integration

Harman kardon

Adaptive xenon works really well

8at sport gearbox but it isn't worth 500 dollar to me,here in europe it is an option of 144 euro I wouln't pay more ...(paddles)

The size of the sunroof

And you really need the pdc at the front ...you can't see the end of the front...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas330d View Post
I am just annoyed by the range,if you drive like me (sport 90%) it is around 500km's I am always around 10,3 liters/100km...but once you are overtaking a car with this power/couple it makes you forget it ...
27mpg (UK) that's a bit steep for a 330d.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
Jonas330d
Rep

Maybe because I live in the center of brussels and don't drive long distances.. But still,it is a lot ...will go to france (champagne) next week and hope that if I will put in in eco-mode it will impress me I'll try to evoid overtaking to much. Doesn't bother me too much but can imagine that some people who would hesite between diesel/petrol engines would like to know this before making their choise...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
27mpg (UK) that's a bit steep for a 330d.

HighlandPete
would scare the sh*t out of me if mine showed that unless on the autobahn.
      11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #39
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas330d View Post
Maybe because I live in the center of brussels and don't drive long distances.. But still,it is a lot ...will go to france (champagne) next week and hope that if I will put in in eco-mode it will impress me I'll try to evoid overtaking to much. Doesn't bother me too much but can imagine that some people who would hesite between diesel/petrol engines would like to know this before making their choise...
You know that Sport mode and Eco Pro mode have NO effect on mpg, right? It's you that effects mpg, not the mode. If you drive it like you stole it then whatever mode you're in will return crap mpg. If you drive it carefully then whatever mode you're in will return good mpg. Eco Pro is just there to aid you in economical driving - to encourage you, if you like
      11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
Jonas330d
Rep

I know but in eco mode even if you wanne drive it like it's stolen you can't ....it is limited in acceleration so it will effect the mpg
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #41
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
You know that Sport mode and Eco Pro mode have NO effect on mpg, right? It's you that effects mpg, not the mode. If you drive it like you stole it then whatever mode you're in will return crap mpg. If you drive it carefully then whatever mode you're in will return good mpg. Eco Pro is just there to aid you in economical driving - to encourage you, if you like
I agree - you could drive it in sport mode carefully or eco mode like it's stolen (or try).

Although I was told (no idea if it's true), that Eco Pro mode cycles the air con to increase MPG?

Mat

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepyro View Post
I agree - you could drive it in sport mode carefully or eco mode like it's stolen (or try).

Although I was told (no idea if it's true), that Eco Pro mode cycles the air con to increase MPG?

Mat
Yes there are some energy profile changes in ECO modes, like the AC you mentioned. I'm not sure if it were BMW, or if another marque, but the seat heating is turned down too.

Also worth noting that whilst the throttle pedal is muted in ECO modes, it will still give you full power if you put your foot down, so can still drive it like you stole it, so not panic about overtaing in ECO mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #43
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yes there are some energy profile changes in ECO modes, like the AC you mentioned. I'm not sure if it were BMW, or if another marque, but the seat heating is turned down too.

Also worth noting that whilst the throttle pedal is muted in ECO modes, it will still give you full power if you put your foot down, so can still drive it like you stole it, so not panic about overtaing in ECO mode.
That would mean Eco mode would probably give you the highest MPG then regardless of driving style.

When I had the F31 330d for a day I did play about with the modes, and it was fun seeing how many extra miles you got when in Eco mode too. But I guess that fun runs out soon enough.

Must admit can't recall how it effected the throttle sensitivity, and I must have been playing with it as that is something very noticeable on the M3. So that said from memory I think the biggest difference was how long it was holding the gears.

Mat

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #44
Jonas330d
Rep

But you have to really floor it it will not work the same way as in comfort mode or sport mode. I really like this 'feature' and indeed the difference in holding gears. But difference in trottle is huge!!! So mpg also didn't know it affected the heated seats will try this tommorow.
Appreciate 0