F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Applying Sealant to cleaned car question!
Studio RSR

05-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
n00bim2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe M Sport

Applying Sealant to cleaned car question!

My first time applying a protective synthetic sealant to a car was yesterday. What i found is that it does not glide across the car paint easily.

I used meguiars synthetic wax sealant mirror glaze 20 on a foam applicator sponge.

i just claybar the car before.

my other question is can you use spray wax to lubricate the surface or prime the foam pad or will this interfere with synthetic wax.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Won't help with your current problem but I use jet seal and it's very easy to use. A little pricey but worth it
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bim2015 View Post
My first time applying a protective synthetic sealant to a car was yesterday. What i found is that it does not glide across the car paint easily.

I used meguiars synthetic wax sealant mirror glaze 20 on a foam applicator sponge.

i just claybar the car before.

my other question is can you use spray wax to lubricate the surface or prime the foam pad or will this interfere with synthetic wax.
No man, you should not have used anything to "lubricate" the surface before applying a sealant or wax.

In fact, the paint needs to be 100% clean or as close as possible before polish, sealant, and/or wax application. Best to use a citrus car shampoo, but just make sure you don't use dish soap or a car shampoo with wax mixed in.

The car should be washed thoroughly between each step. To remove old wax, polish, clay lube, etc, you should use a pre-wax cleaner or paint prep before polish, then after polish before sealant/wax.

Your sealant didn't adhere because it wasn't actually on your paint, it sat on a layer of spray wax. You'll need to do this process over again, but you know from now on the proper steps.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
n00bim2015
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
No man, you should not have used anything to "lubricate" the surface before applying a sealant or wax.

In fact, the paint needs to be 100% clean or as close as possible before polish, sealant, and/or wax application. Best to use a citrus car shampoo, but just make sure you don't use dish soap or a car shampoo with wax mixed in.

The car should be washed thoroughly between each step. To remove old wax, polish, clay lube, etc, you should use a pre-wax cleaner or paint prep before polish, then after polish before sealant/wax.

Your sealant didn't adhere because it wasn't actually on your paint, it sat on a layer of spray wax. You'll need to do this process over again, but you know from now on the proper steps.
I didn't use the spray wax. I was just asking if it would help spread sealant better.

I did wash thoroughly before clay. I thought that was a given
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bim2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

I didn't use the spray wax. I was just asking if it would help spread sealant better.

I did wash thoroughly before clay. I thought that was a given
But did you clean and dry the car between each step?

During a paint correction, I use a waterless wash from a spray bottle, wiping down to dry as I go. Before sealant, I apply a pre-wax cleaner to ensure sealant adhesiveness to the paint.

My sealant is Wolfgang's 3.0.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
n00bim2015
Private First Class
Rep

No I did not use a pre wax cleaner. But I will in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

After you clay bar the car, you should polish it first and then apply a sealant. I highly recommend Klasse sealant.

Also, did you put your hand in a plastic bag and run it across your paint to see if you effectively removed the contamination with the clay bar?

If your surface is prepped properly, your sealant should slide on.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

I'd also suggest polishing before waxing or sealing. I'd try sonax PNS over klasse SG though. Goes on and wipes off easier plus it's in an aerosol type spray