F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 12 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

09-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #155
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Is there anything different about updating with android 12? I have tried several usb drives all fat32 and less than 32gb and my unit wont recognize and ask if I want to update. I do see the zip file on the drive when I look with es explorer. And when I remove the drive there are files the head unit added to it that I can see on my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 08:00 PM   #156
FireBlaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMCEO View Post
Is there anything different about updating with android 12? I have tried several usb drives all fat32 and less than 32gb and my unit wont recognize and ask if I want to update. I do see the zip file on the drive when I look with es explorer. And when I remove the drive there are files the head unit added to it that I can see on my laptop.
No difference for me. I copy the zip file to root folder of USB thumbstick. Plug in to car unit dongle and I see an update prompt. Try to re-download and copy again.
      09-12-2023, 03:05 AM   #157
Mr.Smartepants
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i GT (F34)

It seems that some HU are tempermental about USB sticks. I couldn't get my HU updated with new boot animation until I tried 3 different USB sticks; 2 wouldn't work but one did.
      09-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #158
puster
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

A lot of great Android knowledge here. Not looking one for an F30 but for a G02 (to replace the 6.5" non-nav entry unit) and to me this seems to be a legit device. Hope someone can confirm. And are there any suggestion on which HW version to get? 4/64, 6/128, 8/256. And does anyone know if a chinese reversing cam can be installed to every android unit? Or I need to find a specific one for that function?

The unit in question.

Android 13 unit is also offered on Ali for G02 .. this is a fake?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #159
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by puster View Post
A lot of great Android knowledge here. Not looking one for an F30 but for a G02 (to replace the 6.5" non-nav entry unit) and to me this seems to be a legit device. Hope someone can confirm. And are there any suggestion on which HW version to get? 4/64, 6/128, 8/256. And does anyone know if a chinese reversing cam can be installed to every android unit? Or I need to find a specific one for that function?

The unit in question.

Android 13 unit is also offered on Ali for G02 .. this is a fake?
That indeed looks like a genuine unit. As for the hardware variant, if you're only planning to run a couple of apps at the same time (like music and navigation) then 4/64 is all you need. However, if you want a bit more flexibility and not stress about running out of RAM, get 6/128 or even 8/256. Personally, I think 256GB of storage is a complete overkill, even 128 is probably way too much, but it's the RAM that you should prioritise.

Most aftermarket cameras will work with these Android units.

Android 13 is apparently being worked on, but has not yet been released on genuine devices.
Appreciate 1
puster0.00
      09-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #160
PriceyUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Luxury (2012)

Following on from the OBD Bluetooth discussions: on my A12 v1.5.4 unit, I've had success connecting a VEEPEAK adapter and using it with Torque Pro:

Likewise to my older A11 v1.8.9 unit, I started off by disabling the Ksw BT app (com.wits.bt) via ADB, as this stops some of the funky behaviour with Bluetooth - like when you get into the specific settings page that allows you to toggle the Bluetooth state... only to find it's toggling on and off every 2 seconds.

However, I then noticed on a fresh boot I couldn't connect to the adapter again, even though it was still paired with the system and showing up in apps as a paired, usable device. After some fiddling around I eventually found a silly solution: if you use an automation app like Tasker to firstly unpair, then pair the adapter again - despite the fact this method throws an error stating it can't bond - the adapter is fully usable in apps again with no hiccups.

Hopefully this helps some people!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:56 PM   #161
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Would the ksw toolkit possibly be interfering with my ability to upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 12:40 AM   #162
jclarel
Rep
Drives: X3 G01

Zlink5

Hi! I have a Navifly HU. Android 12/SD 662. Please see below.

I'm using the Zlink5 app to connect to Android Auto. A bit slow to start, but it's working more or less fine. I note that Zlink is unchecked in Factory Settings. See below.

Can someone let me know if I should check the Zlink box in Factory Settings, and how/whether it impacts the functioning of the Zlink5 app?

Do I need to check any of the other unchecked boxes or are they fine to be left unchecked? I haven't seen any tutorial on what these settings do...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 02:21 AM   #163
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMCEO View Post
Would the ksw toolkit possibly be interfering with my ability to upgrade?
If you have it set to hijack the communication aspect (button remapping etc.) then yes, it will interfere.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #164
speedbirdblack
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: f30 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smartepants View Post
What you order depends on what iDrive system you have (CIC, NBT, EVO, etc.). Generally speaking, go for a headunit that has snapdragon 662 and enough RAM to store your music collection (or whatever else you listen to). Start reading this thread from the beginning and you'll see what to look for to spot a fake.
I bought this one for my NBT ID4 F34 and it's been working great. 6gb/128, snapdragon 662 id8.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005005128040841.html
I still connect my phone to the BMW idrive bluetooth system, NOT the android screen. But I use zlink to play audio from my phone through the screen..
Thanks for the enlightenment.
So when you're using OE Bluetooth calls, dose it appear caller details on the display like it should.
What is the sound quality after the Android screen?
      09-13-2023, 01:22 PM   #165
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks RedErik once I turned off ksw toolkit I got the update inquiry and it updated from 1.1.4 to 1.4.4 with no issues. I must add my E85 kit will not connect but big win for my Valentine One radar detector connecting to the headunit with the two apps I use for it. So overall very happy so far with the added BT functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:01 AM   #166
clubplug
Frank
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarel View Post
Hi! I have a Navifly HU. Android 12/SD 662. Please see below.

I'm using the Zlink5 app to connect to Android Auto. A bit slow to start, but it's working more or less fine. I note that Zlink is unchecked in Factory Settings. See below.

Can someone let me know if I should check the Zlink box in Factory Settings, and how/whether it impacts the functioning of the Zlink5 app?

Do I need to check any of the other unchecked boxes or are they fine to be left unchecked? I haven't seen any tutorial on what these settings do...

Thanks in advance!

Yes, same here... I would love to know if there was a tutorial or reference guide where it explains the differences between toggling the option on or off.

Maybe there is and I have not been able to find it.

Looking forward to any input from the more experienced people on this forum

Thanks
FV
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:18 AM   #167
edwardtopalian
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Please help with 8+256G Android 12 Qualcomm Snapdragon 662

hi All,
I have just installed the head unit, but for some reason the unit is not starting.
once i start the car the unit powers on and shows the connect drive logo and then it shows the spinner and stays there, it keeps on spinning over and over and nothing happens.
i waited for 15 min and still nothing.
any thoughts ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 06:37 PM   #168
anthony heo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardtopalian View Post
hi All,
I have just installed the head unit, but for some reason the unit is not starting.
once i start the car the unit powers on and shows the connect drive logo and then it shows the spinner and stays there, it keeps on spinning over and over and nothing happens.
any thoughts ?
You sould contact the seller.
cuz it looks problem
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:41 AM   #169
Mr.Smartepants
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardtopalian View Post
hi All,
any thoughts ?
Double check the wiring connections. If they're all connected properly, then file a claim with the seller to replace the headunit since it's defective.
      09-15-2023, 04:36 AM   #170
READER84
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 320D Touring

Recently installed the 10" android screen from Droid UK, so on my idrive menu its added the little box to the right displaying speed, but in kmh and the speed/revs display on the android side also displays in kmh, and ideas how to change both the MPH at all please. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 07:55 AM   #171
Mr.Smartepants
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by READER84 View Post
Recently installed the 10" android screen from Droid UK, so on my idrive menu its added the little box to the right displaying speed, but in kmh and the speed/revs display on the android side also displays in kmh, and ideas how to change both the MPH at all please. Thank you
There's a setting in the iDrive section to use metric or imperial.
Most of us disable split-screen mode though.
You need to use Bimmercode to change the screen settings to full-screen vs split screen.
Full screen mode:

This video explains the process nicely.

On my screen, I changed the display size to 8.8 / 10.25(can't remember the exact setting), you'll need to experiment.
But in Bimmercode access "headunit", then expert mode, then:
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 8.8_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display
      09-15-2023, 07:57 AM   #172
Mr.Smartepants
Private
Rep

I've got an odd intermittent problem with the reversing camera display. Sometimes the "turn lines" overlay the camera image, and sometimes they don't. Anyone else have that problem? More of an annoyance than a problem.
      09-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #173
edwardtopalian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony heo View Post
You sould contact the seller.
cuz it looks problem
thank you,
I did, and it seems like it needed to be factory reset, the supplier send me a 1.5 GB file and i did a full reset using a memory card, and it worked finally.
in case anyone have this issue, the only way is getting the file from the supplier and complete reset the software of the HU.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 10:46 AM   #174
edwardtopalian
Rep

Quote:
Double check the wiring connections. If they're all connected properly, then file a claim with the seller to replace the headunit since it's defective.
thanks for the reply,
At first i was thinking its the wired also, but the wires are so simple that i maybe removed and reinstalled like 20 times to make sure, and nothing, LOL

i'm glad it was only a software thing, after the seller sending the file to me, i reset everything and installed the a fresh copy of the software, everything worked.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #175
READER84
Private
Rep

Quote:
There's a setting in the iDrive section to use metric or imperial.
Most of us disable split-screen mode though.
You need to use Bimmercode to change the screen settings to full-screen vs split screen.
Full screen mode:

This video explains the process nicely.

On my screen, I changed the display size to 8.8 / 10.25(can't remember the exact setting), you'll need to experiment.
But in Bimmercode access "headunit", then expert mode, then:
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 8.8_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display
Great thank you 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #176
READER84
Private
Rep

Same unit as above, droid uk. Can be fine for a short time, then suddenly decide to drop into a reboot loop on the android side. Radio on idrive will continue to play fine, but screen will continue to keep going black during this loop. Had a new harness sent out and problem persists. Now looking like i have to return the unit for testing. Anyone seen this before of know of a fix this end? Thanks
Appreciate 0