F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 435xi Msport quarter mile drag strip times
ARMA SPEED

02-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #23
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
What was the density altitude where you were at? You should be able to check a history online. Plays a huge role, easily could add/subtract .5 sec in the et. Probably the only benefit of all this ungodly cold weather lol...

Also curious about tires. Looks like you were running pretty consistent times!
-311DA
So bumps my time down to 13.31 if you use the correction

Tires are stock 18" Continental all-season Run flats

Btw had 3/4 full tank of pump gas. Full tank of washer fluid. It's Alpine white with most options including Msport, Xdrive, cold weather, premium, drivers assists, dynamic handling, Nav, etc.
So no stripped model. It's prob as heavy as you can build it with a hard top.

Last edited by Mik3ymomo; 02-23-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
-311DA
So bumps my time down to 13.31 if you use the correction

Tires are stock 18" Continental all-season Run flats

Btw had 3/4 full tank of pump gas. Full tank of washer fluid. It's Alpine white with most options including Msport, Xdrive, cold weather, premium, drivers assists, dynamic handling, Nav, etc.
So no stripped model. It's prob as heavy as you can build it with a hard top.
All seasons

thats a very important piece of information you had left out. I think you can bring it down to 13.2 and +104mph with more sticky tires. Great times for a car on all seasons though

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #25
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn't getting wheel spin

Based off of the time slips the car ran a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. Just wanted to add some real world numbers because I've seen numbers all over the place.

I spent a lot of time at the line trying to get the launch control to engage so I was launching it softer then I could have. The launch control engaged once on my last run but I don't think it's very aggressive. Even with its learn feature I think I can probably launch it harder myself just power braking it.
The launch is where the time is to be made up. With a fastest 60 foot time of 1.99 I think with the Xdrive I can get a 1.84 which would put the car at 13.1 stock.
I don't think it will go faster without more power.

Speaking of power, based off the time slips its at 329hp stock. Slightly more then BMW has rated it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #26
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo
I wasn't getting wheel spin

Based off of the time slips the car ran a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. Just wanted to add some real world numbers because I've seen numbers all over the place.

I spent a lot of time at the line trying to get the launch control to engage so I was launching it softer then I could have. The launch control engaged once on my last run but I don't think it's very aggressive. Even with its learn feature I think I can probably launch it harder myself just power braking it.
The launch is where the time is to be made up. With a fastest 60 foot time of 1.99 I think with the Xdrive I can get a 1.84 which would put the car at 13.1 stock.
I don't think it will go faster without more power.

Speaking of power, based off the time slips its at 329hp stock. Slightly more then BMW has rated it.
Your 0-60 is likely 4.6 based on the quarter you recorded, same as car and driver. However you still need summers, all seasons are not your go to tire for performance. Add summers better launch techniques and you are right, lots of time left on the table

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #27
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

May want to try with traction completely disabled. The car may be pulling power but maybe not. If you're getting no wheel spin at all, maybe not. I know comfort or sport has traction involved earlier than sport + before it pulls power. All off will let even more, at least for me but I have rwd and jb4/intake and that's with the summer tires. With my PSS I don't get as much though, but we're talking about 265 rears vs 225s too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Sport + as far as I know completely disables it. And the 0-60 time I calculated based off the DA. Came to 4.56 seconds 0-60
If I best these times I will let you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo
Sport + as far as I know completely disables it. And the 0-60 time I calculated based off the DA. Came to 4.56 seconds 0-60
If I best these times I will let you guys know.
You just beat car and driver on all seasons, good job bro

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #30
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

It's my wife's car just wanted to see what it could run for giggles.
I'm sure someone will probably be faster by next weekend. At least they have an idea where the cars are running.
I usually drive old beat up cars, my wife gets the nice ones and I don't get to drive them all that often.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #31
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Your 0-60 is likely 4.6 based on the quarter you recorded, same as car and driver.
That was a 335ix they tested, right? The only official C&D number of the 435i is 5.2s rwd with 6MT.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Sport+ doesn't completely disable all the nannies
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Name:  11607215325_1141c02099_b.jpg
Views: 20583
Size:  261.6 KB

Name:  11611011674_04b0c133e0_b.jpg
Views: 20908
Size:  396.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #34
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Quote:

Purty
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #35
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche
Quote:
Your 0-60 is likely 4.6 based on the quarter you recorded, same as car and driver.
That was a 335ix they tested, right? The only official C&D number of the 435i is 5.2s rwd with 6MT.
No C&D has not tested an F30/2 xdrive. I was referring to the rwd 335i they tested, they recorded 4.6s.

I still think for a non professional driver on all seasons to beat a professional driver on staggered summers is impressive, especially given this is his first attempt. I am sure with attempts to carry less weight and better tires he can take more time off

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #36
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
No C&D has not tested an F30/2 xdrive. I was referring to the rwd 335i they tested, they recorded 4.6s.

I still think for a non professional driver on all seasons to beat a professional driver on staggered summers is impressive, especially given this is his first attempt. I am sure with attempts to carry less weight and better tires he can take more time off
Like I said earlier in the thread, the DA plays a huge role in how the car runs in the 1/4 mile. From what we know, the OP had a really nice DA to run with. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he beats what a magazine ran. You can also tell from his times (namely consistency) that launching an automatic AWD car is not exactly rocket science (i.e. doesn't need to be "professional" magazine driver).

A MT RWD car with high torque/power would require a lot more skill. These cars just require figuring out how to prevent the ECU from cutting power, the trans from short shifting and brake torquing the launch correctly. Also, I doubt staggered tires help in drag racing an AWD car like this, where the engine isn't really putting out enough torque - staggering tires is really for RWD cars (especially ones without LSD's) to provide added rear grip and neuter the throttle oversteer a bit (staggered tires create understeer).

Last edited by drob23; 02-23-2014 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #37
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Like I said earlier in the thread, the DA plays a huge role in how the car runs in the 1/4 mile. From what we know, the OP had a really nice DA to run with. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he beats what a magazine ran. You can also tell from his times (namely consistency) that launching an automatic AWD car is not exactly rocket science (i.e. doesn't need to be "professional" magazine driver).

A MT RWD car with high torque/power would require a lot more skill. These cars just require figuring out how to prevent the ECU from cutting power, the trans from short shifting and brake torquing the launch correctly. Also, I doubt staggered tires help in drag racing an AWD car like this, where the engine isn't really putting out enough torque - staggering tires is really for RWD cars (especially ones without LSD's) to provide added rear grip and neuter the throttle oversteer a bit (staggered tires create understeer).
That's right, any of you guys should be able to do this. I look forward to you 4 series guys getting out to the track and eclipsing my times.
I look forward to the posts! I don't know how many more times the wife will let me take her car to the track again!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #38
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's right, any of you guys should be able to do this. I look forward to you 4 series guys getting out to the track and eclipsing my times.
I look forward to the posts! I don't know how many more times the wife will let me take her car to the track again!
LOL, is that how you phrased it? Honey, just gotta pick up some groceries...maybe hardware shop...and err...drag strip No way in hell would the lady let me hoon on her car
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #39
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL, is that how you phrased it? Honey, just gotta pick up some groceries...maybe hardware shop...and err...drag strip No way in hell would the lady let me hoon on her car
It wasn't the friendliest of responses I received lol.
But I have some leverage, we call it her car but she doesn't exactly pay for it all on her own
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #40
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:

In these photos it looks like the radiator down in the air dam can be easily hit by rocks. It looks like nothing is really protecting that radiator. May want to look at installing some mesh so that you won't get a rock causing a punctured radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #41
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:

Hey man, just taking things at face value here

It's ok to get into the details but given what we know the guy beat C&D. (For example do you know the DA when C&D tested their car, btw their car weighed about 200lbs less than his) I will give him that credit, he beat them and now it's up to us ( and him) to beat him.

FYI xdrive is a 60:40 split so for straight line stuff the additional grip offered by the rear wheels in the staggered summer tires setup should help.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #42
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW
Quote:

In these photos it looks like the radiator down in the air dam can be easily hit by rocks. It looks like nothing is really protecting that radiator. May want to look at installing some mesh so that you won't get a rock causing a punctured radiator.
Although his is a bit lower than mine, my radiator lies just as low and in the 15000 miles I have owned it, nothing happened

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
I don't think BMW makes their heat exchangers out of paper mache like the "other" guy you are alluding to. Never read of any problems here.

Quote:
Hey man, just taking things at face value here

It's ok to get into the details but given what we know the guy beat C&D. (For example do you know the DA when C&D tested their car, btw their car weighed about 200lbs less than his) I will give him that credit, he beat them and now it's up to us ( and him) to beat him.

FYI xdrive is a 60:40 split so for straight line stuff the additional grip offered by the rear wheels in the staggered summer tires setup should help.
Most of the magazines don't run their cars in extreme cold (they are trying to emulate real world conditions). Even OEM's move their testing and calibration engineers to the southwest during winter. A lot of the magazines do testing either in So Cal or Michigan, where in the summer it can be either really hot or the humidity can be bad (in midwest, not CA ). Humidity is probably the worst killer of DA other than altitude itself. The conditions this guy ran were pretty damn good.

The staggered setup won't help if he isn't even getting wheel spin with square all-season setup. There is no torque/power that he's leaving on the table, unless I am missing something. The torque split on xdrive can vary for launch (it's def not fixed like a mechanical center diff). The biggest helper would probably be light weight wheels, rotors, calipers etc.

Most drag guys are dealing with serious wheel spin (high HP rear wheel drive cars), which is why they put the huge wide tires on the rear. There are some tricks like letting out air (maybe to 20 PSI) to get a slightly larger contact patch and a little more torsional flex at the launch, check out this

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #44
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't the friendliest of responses I received lol.
But I have some leverage, we call it her car but she doesn't exactly pay for it all on her own
Auditude from the S4 boards also ran that day, and took video, is this your car LOL - link to his post along with his mods and slips http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...nd-6MT-content

Appreciate 0