F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW US Announces 2013 328i Touring (F31) & New Photo Gallery From World Press Launch
GetBMWParts

07-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Doesn't this press release explicitly tell us the 2013 F31 will be sold in the US with *only* the 8 speed slushbox....?
It says "Eight-speed automatic gearbox available".... to me that says a 6 speed manual is also available. You're right about the N20 though, I doubt we'll see a 335 anytime soon if ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #46
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I don't recall saying that the M Sport will be available at launch. Sorry if I did, but could you show me where you read this?

You didn't say it, Southlight said it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #47
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd happily pay it to not have to drive around a cute ute BMW RAV4.
Ha! Me too!

Quote:
If they sold it with a stick.
They will for sure. You'll just have to order it. We wont get fog lights or alcantara or the cool blue brakes but we'll get a 6MT damn it, we have too!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
It says "Eight-speed automatic gearbox available".... to me that says a 6 speed manual is also available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That BMW Press Release

Sporty 8-speed automatic transmission as standard; state-of-the-art 8-speed sports automatic with steering wheel mounted paddle shift is optionally available.The BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon owes its characteristic driving experience not just to its high-torque, fast-revving engines, but also to its transmissions. For performance-minded drivers the transmission, as the interface where the power from the engine is relayed to the rear wheels, is pivotal to a dynamic driving experience. It is just as important for it to offer precise shifting as to provide the right ratios. Smooth shifting, low noise and efficient design are further qualities demanded in the premium segment. For drivers who value a silky smooth seamlessly variable transmission and love to leave the shifting to the transmission, they will find an ideal offering in the innovative 8-speed automatic transmission. Drivers can also opt for a sports automatic version of this transmission, with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts as an upgrade with the Sport Line and M Sport package.

Innovative 8-speed automatic transmission: efficient power transmission and optimal ratios.
The new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon equipped with the optionally available high-performance 8-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted paddle shifts, offers additional ratios not currently offered by any competitors in the premium compact sports wagon segment – This transmission combines unprecedented standards of comfortable shifting, sporty performance and efficiency. With all this going for it, the automatic transmission is fully in keeping with the overall sporty temperament of the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon.

In terms of size and weight, this 8-speed unit is comparable with the 6-speed automatic transmission used in the past. A range of innovative technical features and exceptionally high internal efficiency allow this higher-performance unit to combine powerful acceleration, strong mid-range sprinting and further reduced fuel consumption. For performance-minded drivers this transmission also has lots to offer, particularly since the driver can choose to play a more active role by changing gears manually, thereby releasing even more of this sporty wagon’s potential.

With its optimized control technology, the 8-speed transmission boasts extremely fast shift and reaction times and direct downshift capability. The electronic transmission controller can also alter the shift characteristics as required, to cater either for a sportier or for a more relaxed, fuel-saving driving style. Despite a larger overall spread, eight ratios mean that the spacing between them is smaller, so that the optimal ratio is available in virtually all situations. The close ratios deliver turbine-like power combined with smooth and fuel-efficient low-rpm operation. The new 8-speed automatic also allows drivers to maintain a very economical driving style. This all helps to explain why, when fitted with the 8-speed automatic transmission, the new BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon’s even lower fuel consumption than models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission.

A sports version of the new 8-speed automatic transmission is available as an option for cars equipped with the Sport Line and M Sport package. This unit offers even sportier shift characteristics (e.g. faster shift times), and the option of changing gear manually using the paddle shifts on the steering wheel. Alternatively, it is also possible to use the electronic The Normal and Sport modes are chosen using the Driving Dynamics Control switch. This allows the sports automatic to deliver both dynamic driving enjoyment and top-level comfort.
Maybe something was lost in translation from the original German (the sentence in red reads like Babelfish translated it), but I read the press release as saying that there are two different slushies available on the F31 for the US market, one with paddle shifters and one without.

Too bad (for me) if there's no 6-speed manual sold here, absent Bangle's styling I think the F31 is a nice looking car!
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #49
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
Maybe something was lost in translation from the original German (the sentence in red reads like Babelfish translated it), but I read the press release as saying that there are two different slushies available on the F31 for the US market, one with paddle shifters and one without.

Too bad (for me) if there's no 6-speed manual sold here, absent Bangle's styling I think the F31 is a nice looking car!

OMG, that is completely fucked! Why do they do this?????? You can get a 6MT everywhere else! If this is true I have to rethink everything and I thought I had it all figured out. I don't want a damn auto no matter how good it is!

Edit! Wait a minute! I don't know why I'm getting all upset. The 8 speed auto is standard NOW on the sedan. The Sports transmission is a $500 option and the 6MT is a no cost option. I don't see why that will be any different for the F31.

PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $0
Manual Transmission $0
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles $500

The press release doesn't mention all the ways the wagon car be configured, only that the 8AT is standard, which just the same as the sedan is now.

Plus, if you read the sentence you highlighted in red, it says that the 8 speed gets better gas mileage than the manual....well then there has to be a manual!!!!!!!!! God I hope so.....

Last edited by Alpine F31; 07-06-2012 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: make another point!!!!!!!11
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #50
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Ha! Me too!

They will for sure. You'll just have to order it. We wont get fog lights or alcantara or the cool blue brakes but we'll get a 6MT damn it, we have too!
If you're willing to be hopeful, I will too!

I wish we could get the alcantara, but I'm used to not getting the good interiors in the US. Wish I could have had the M3 GT seats in my 95 M3

I said I'd never buy a car new, but if BMW brings the F31/6 I'll special order one just on principle. And yeah, I'd never expect to see a car I actually want on a sales lot. It goes without saying if I'm spending that kind of money for a car, I want ED and the whole nine yards.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
I love the e87, too. I guess I just have terrible taste for not wanting a generic me-too car! Might want to try the phrase "rear end is not my style" rather than "hideous", when it is clearly, objectively, NOT hideous.
i think my issue with it is it doesn't look euro at all.. just looks like any old holden/subaru etc. wagon.. with a BMW badge.

ED: for reference

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/hsv-c...r8-tourer1.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #52
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Quote:

Plus, if you read the sentence you highlighted in red, it says that the 8 speed gets better gas mileage than the manual....well then there has to be a manual!!!!!!!!! God I hope so.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Press Release

This all helps to explain why, when fitted with the 8-speed automatic transmission, the new BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon’s even lower fuel consumption than models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission.
Models like ... the F30, F32, F33? They sell more 'verts than wagons here, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they meant.

Back to German--> Das alles hilft um zu erklären, warum, wenn mit der 8-Gang-Automatikgetriebe ausgestattet, der neue BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon der sogar noch niedriger Kraftstoffverbrauch als Modelle mit 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe ausgestattet.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #53
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I'm going to remain hopeful that the 6 speed remains a no cost option just like on the sedan. We'll know as soon as the F31 is on the USA configurer. I will be distraught if it really is automatic only. The E91 wasn't auto only so I'm not convinced the F31 will be either.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #54
mln
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
Well, I'm going to remain hopeful that the 6 speed remains a no cost option just like on the sedan. We'll know as soon as the F31 is on the USA configurer. I will be distraught if it really is automatic only. The E91 wasn't auto only so I'm not convinced the F31 will be either.
I'm with you in thinking/hoping the 6 speed manual is going to be a no cost option.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #55
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

as a la carte as bmw has traditionally been, I'm surprised the auto doesn't cost money anymore. actually i'm vaguely surprised that bmw never charged for both transmissions. i always thought we'd see the day that they charged for either transmission and either metallic or non-metallic paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #56
PhillyTim
Rep
Drives: E46 323ci

No Manual???

I just noticed the BMW USA press release from June and then found this thread. It sure reads to me like the F31 is not coming to the US with a manual. I'm really hoping to be wrong, and that those of you suggesting the manual option was omitted from the release are right; I was hoping to order a manual, RWD M-Sport, but it seems more likely than not that those of us hoping for a manual are SOL.

I can understand why BMW would go this way; manual, RWD E91's are exceedingly rare--sadly there isn't much of a market for the most performance oriented variant of the car, and presumably it's just too expensive to federalize such a low volume model. If only our gov't didn't make it so damn hard (expensive) to federalize minor variants of the same car.

This news has ruined my day...I guess I better keep searching for an E91 msport with RWD, but it seems the lucky few that ordered such a car aren't much inclined to part with them...

Last edited by PhillyTim; 07-13-2012 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: typo / clarity
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #57
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
I have a hunch there will be more engine offerings in the future for the 3 touring. We are almost certainly going to see another 6 cylinder diesel in the US and possibly the 320d, if those engines are being emissions certified for the US, then offer them in the wagon why don't you? Not having an F11 wagon should be plenty business case to at least offer a 335i touring in the US.
And there it is, one week later, you might say I was prophetic!
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717786
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #58
PhillyTim
Rep
Drives: E46 323ci

C&D Confirms; No Manual for the US

"...the only model making the transatlantic trip will be the 328i, motivated by BMW’s 2.0-liter turbocharged four coupled exclusively to an excellent eight-speed ZF automatic. (That means no 300-hp 335i, no diesel, and no manual.) Buyers again will have the ability to choose between rear- and all-wheel drive."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

What a dissapppointment. So I suppose that leaves Cadillac and Subaru as the only manual wagons available in the US, and the Cady the only one available with both RWD & a manual. Too bad it's a Cady, and that it has a very thirsty V8.

I'm surprised C&D (of the "Save the Manuals" campaign) didn't make a bigger issue of this in the article.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Wagons in the US are an incredibly small market, and manual wagons are sadly a microscopic part of that already tiny market. The STI is sort of in limbo, waiting on a replacement, and the Legacy wagon isn't available here, with only the silly Outback being offered, and that only comes in a manual if you get the base motor. I suppose there is the current Impreza, but that's a snooze and a half.

The next Audi A3 will likely come with an available manual, but it will again be a Haldex setup, not a fully fledged awd setup like the current quattro setups.

Pity, the F31 looks great, but with no manual available for us here, it's currently off my list.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #60
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The next Audi A3 will likely come with an available manual, but it will again be a Haldex setup, not a fully fledged awd setup like the current quattro setups.
I believe the current A3 offers DSG *or* the 6-speed manual (funny, no DSG in Audi's other cars in the US), but you simply cannot get a Quattro A3 with the TDI, no matter what transmission you choose.

WTF??

I definitely would consider an A3 TDI Quattro M/T.

For now, I'm thinking of building a 2011+ (ie, widebody) WRX hatch as a snow car. Won't have the fuel economy or the refinement I want in a roadtrip car but at least it'll do the trick in the snow for smaller dollars... so, it fits half the bill for half the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
I believe the current A3 offers DSG *or* the 6-speed manual (funny, no DSG in Audi's other cars in the US), but you simply cannot get a Quattro A3 with the TDI, no matter what transmission you choose.

WTF??

I definitely would consider an A3 TDI Quattro M/T.

For now, I'm thinking of building a 2011+ (ie, widebody) WRX hatch as a snow car. Won't have the fuel economy or the refinement I want in a roadtrip car but at least it'll do the trick in the snow for smaller dollars... so, it fits half the bill for half the money.
Clearly Audi NA hangs out with the BMW USA clowns.

The R8 now has a DSG, as does the S4/S5.

Drive a Haldex car before you buy one, my ex had a few quattro A4's and it's a totally different setup than Haldex, which the A3 and Golf R utilize. Haldex is mostly fwd with the ability to transfer back, rather than a set ratio like quattro (presently 40/60 in most Audii) that can transfer from that ratio. The Mini Countryman AWD also uses Haldex.

I borrowed a friend's STI for a few weeks years ago and got 7.2mpg on a tank of gas. I was a little surprised when I got the fuel light to come on 60 miles after filling the tank. Don't forgot to factor in the cost of gas if you go that route and have a heavy foot.
Appreciate 0