F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "LIM" Speed Limiter button vs. "SET" Cruise Control button
Studio RSR

10-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
directordash
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Sport: Mineral White

"LIM" Speed Limiter button vs. "SET" Cruise Control button

I had a loan car from BMW in the past month - a 320d M Sport - which had this Limiter function on the steering wheel, and for a lot of 3's and 4's it looks like a fairly "standard" feature from what I've seen.

The problem I have with it is my F30 Sport (UK base spec 2012) doesn't have this limiter button; instead I have "SET" which sets the speed for cruise control. Needless to say, it made going between the cars a little tricky - pressing the LIM button thinking I was setting my cruising speed.

I'm about to place my 420d Sport order this weekend, but ideally do not want the LIM button, as I'm used to having the SET button there - although I'm not sure if I get the choice?

Anyone know if this is standard from now on?
Or does it only come with active cruise control, or the full black panel display, or some other optional equipment?

To no surprise, my dealership has been unable to provide a definite answer for some reason or another!!

DD.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

SPEED LIMIT FUNCTION
My 2014 435i came with this Speed Limit Function as standard (it wasn't even listed as an "option" on the BMW SPEC print out).
All it stated was:- S544A - GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGLELUNG. MIT BREMSF - Cruise control with brake function

Looking at BMW'S latest literature for the 4-series, it makes no reference to the speed limit function.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/mar...3258405832.pdf

BUT………..

Have a look at their latest 3-series literature and you will see that ALL models get the speed limit function from the SE level up.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/ma...3258314023.pdf

SO, my 99.9% (i.e. sure) guess would be that you WILL get it as standard whatever level of trim you choose.

I know what you mean though, about getting used to control layouts.
I spent all my driving life instinctively KNOWING that in an automatic, you pulled the gear lever REARWARDS to change down……….only for BMW to come along with DCT and swop it round the other way…AARRGGHH
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
jrm1316
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Speed Limit function can be enabled regardless of what text is on the button. I have my US Spec 2013 328i button changed from Set to Lim and it works just fine via coding in e-sys
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
directordash
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
SPEED LIMIT FUNCTION
My 2014 435i came with this Speed Limit Function as standard (it wasn't even listed as an "option" on the BMW SPEC print out).
All it stated was:- S544A - GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGLELUNG. MIT BREMSF - Cruise control with brake function

Looking at BMW'S latest literature for the 4-series, it makes no reference to the speed limit function.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/mar...3258405832.pdf

BUT………..

Have a look at their latest 3-series literature and you will see that ALL models get the speed limit function from the SE level up.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/ma...3258314023.pdf

SO, my 99.9% (i.e. sure) guess would be that you WILL get it as standard whatever level of trim you choose.

I know what you mean though, about getting used to control layouts.
I spent all my driving life instinctively KNOWING that in an automatic, you pulled the gear lever REARWARDS to change down……….only for BMW to come along with DCT and swop it round the other way…AARRGGHH
I had a 420d Coupe out on test drive, and it had "SET" instead of "LIM", but no idea what was different, as it's not a stand-alone option.

Do you have the full black panel display on your instrument cluster?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by directordash View Post
I had a 420d Coupe out on test drive, and it had "SET" instead of "LIM", but no idea what was different, as it's not a stand-alone option.

Do you have the full black panel display on your instrument cluster?
Yes, I do, option code 6WA INSTRUMENTENKOMBI. M. ERW. UMF. or in English, Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

But in my case it came as PART of the Professional Media Package (Option Code ZNP)

Hmmm, how old was that 420d?
Maybe last year's model?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
directordash
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
Yes, I do, option code 6WA INSTRUMENTENKOMBI. M. ERW. UMF. or in English, Instrument cluster, expanded equipment

But in my case it came as PART of the Professional Media Package (Option Code ZNP)

Hmmm, how old was that 420d?
Maybe last year's model?
It was a March/April 2014 model, 420d Sport Line Coupe.

Ordered my GC today, and they reckon it would come with the limiter regardless, as apparently they all are now... will just need to get to grips with it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
LukeS1994
Canada
Rep
Drives: F20 116i MSport 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1316 View Post
Speed Limit function can be enabled regardless of what text is on the button. I have my US Spec 2013 328i button changed from Set to Lim and it works just fine via coding in e-sys
Dude, I've got an f20 but it should be similar I've coded everything found on other threads, I just keep getting speed LIM failure. I've tried various steps to get it working and can't find how, so for now I've just changed it back to the SET button
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #8
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS1994 View Post
Dude, I've got an f20 but it should be similar I've coded everything found on other threads, I just keep getting speed LIM failure. I've tried various steps to get it working and can't find how, so for now I've just changed it back to the SET button
Hi LukeS1994,

Have you solved this issue yet? I found the same on several of the cars I have coded. This does not happen on all, although all coding value is the same. Not sure what happened. Maybe it is due to the firmware version of related ECU.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

hi DD

How I've seen it:

A car without cruise control has a LIM button instead of a SET button. the LIM button = Limiter so it only limits your speed that if you speed up, at the point you set the LIM (you can move the pointer further up or down using the scroll thingy on the steering wheel) you're car slows down on acceleration. If you floor the pedal, you'll go over the limit. My previous F30 didn't have cruise control and came with the LIM button.

But that LIM button does not accelerate while cruise control does when you put the pointer higher up there so it's really just a limiter. I found it useful though, avoiding to speed where there are fixed speed camera's I would set it and use it.

The SET is when you've got cruise control so that's different, you set the speed you want to have and the car accelerate itself up to that speed (it you've got manual gearbox, you still have to consider your gears of course)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Coding can change the "SET" feature to "LIM", so if any Cruise Control options come with a "LIM" function, it may be possible to revert the control to "SET".

In addition there is a "SPEED WARNING" setting in iDrive under SETTINGS, so this is available without the LIM function...at least in my 2015/2016 F36.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
Coding can change the "SET" feature to "LIM", so if any Cruise Control options come with a "LIM" function, it may be possible to revert the control to "SET".

In addition there is a "SPEED WARNING" setting in iDrive under SETTINGS, so this is available without the LIM function...at least in my 2015/2016 F36.
I believe all iDrive cars have the Speed Warning function as my 2013 has it as well. It's definitely useful in keeping things under the license suspension limit when driving in a spirited manner

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
...when driving in a spirited manner
Very hard to drive in any other manner!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Levanius
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: F30 20d M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1316 View Post
Could you please tell me what a have to code??
I want to Change SET foto LIM.

THANK YOU
Appreciate 0