F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 8Speed paddle shift questions
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

8Speed paddle shift questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys I ordered my BMW and I\'m a little confused this is my first automatic car. When I paddle shit mode do I have full control of the car can I red line in 1ST gear without the car changing. Is it possible to stall the car before switching into 1St gear I you don\'t tap the accelerator?? Last question Somone told me that I gave to disable Traction Control and enable sport+ to use the paddles is that true?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Check out the owner's manual: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635389, pages 67-69

I have MT so not familiar with BMW steptronic programming, but this is what I understand from the manual.

When I paddle shit mode do I have full control of the car can I red line in 1ST gear without the car changing.
Seems so, but it will automatically upshift at or near redline.

Is it possible to stall the car before switching into 1St gear I you don't tap the accelerator??
Don't know, but would seems like a dumb design, if so.

Last question Someone told me that I gave to disable Traction Control and enable sport+ to use the paddles is that true?
Nope.
When you do those things you enforce manual mode AND disable auto upshift. I think this means it will not auto upshift and you just hit fuel cutoff at redline.
But, if you use the paddles while in D, it temporarily switches to manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay now do I have to disable traction to do that. Because I would not like to do that.

I fell that switching from Manual to Auto was a bad session what do you think PCbrew.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Okay now do I have to disable traction to do that. Because I would not like to do that.
Unclear on your question - to do do what?

My suggestion is to read the manual first, then post what is still unclear to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Unclear on your question - to do do what?

My suggestion is to read the manual first, then post what is still unclear to you.
I've read the manual. Do I have to disable Traction to take full control of the car via paddle shift
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

The manual seems pretty clear.

You have full control with paddles or lever in manual mode, but, car will auto-shift if needed.

If by full control you mean you do not want any automatic shifting, then any of these 3 will do it:
- DSC deactivated
- TRACTION activated
- SPORT+ activated (this deactivates DSC)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
But you cannot have full control on the transmission.
The transmission WILL shift up and down accordingly, they will give you more time depending on setting, but to protect the transmission, it WILL shift itself.
If you want control, get a manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
With the transmission in "sport" mode (lever pulled toward the driver), if you hit the paddle shifters it will go into "manual" mode. The tranny will automatically upshift at the redline and will automatically downshift when going a low speed (like around a corner or at a stop light). Other than that, the car won't shift unless you tell it to. You cannot "ride" the redline with the rev limiter like you could in a manual transmission car. The car may automatically shift from M1 to M2 below the redline... I don't remember the behavior there. You'll figure it out when you get the car.

The transmission is a conventional automatic with a torque converter, you cannot stall the car in any way with the transmission. If the car manages to stall, it's broken and should be taken to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You have full control with paddles or lever in manual mode, but, car will auto-shift if needed.

If by full control you mean you do not want any automatic shifting, then any of these 3 will do it:
- DSC deactivated
- TRACTION activated
I know DSC(Dynamic Stablity Control) but is traction DTC?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346
With the transmission in "sport" mode (lever pulled toward the driver), if you hit the paddle shifters it will go into "manual" mode. The tranny will automatically upshift at the redline and will automatically downshift when going a low speed (like around a corner or at a stop light). Other than that, the car won't shift unless you tell it to. You cannot "ride" the redline with the rev limiter like you could in a manual transmission car. The car may automatically shift from M1 to M2 below the redline... I don't remember the behavior there. You'll figure it out when you get the car.

The transmission is a conventional automatic with a torque converter, you cannot stall the car in any way with the transmission. If the car manages to stall, it's broken and should be taken to the dealer.
I appreciate the answer thank you. Redlining a car is bad anyways and I'm not racing a bloody Lamborghini in Miami. Once I can control the transmission a little before it reached the redline I'll be happy. Manual is just getting a little frustrating in all this traffic. Esspicaly on I-95
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwrrr
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
But you cannot have full control on the transmission.
The transmission WILL shift up and down accordingly, they will give you more time depending on setting, but to protect the transmission, it WILL shift itself.
If you want control, get a manual.
Thanks for the answer
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #12
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

- DSC deactivated
- TRACTION activated
Thanks Man, I found out what traction was. I really do appreciate all the help you've given me in the thread post and in others.
Appreciate 0