F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is your F30 just a distraction from your main squeeze?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Is your F30 just a distraction from your main squeeze?

Checking around if there are others here like me.

I got my E36/7 started today, it needed a warranty replacement battery after it died during storage.

Within a minute of driving it, I swear the F30 didn't exist in my mind anymore.

The way the car sounds, smells, feels, looks, runs, all the feedback-just can't be duplicated in a more modern car.

But that's the F30's purpose for me. Its to be a great car that allows me to enjoy the ridiculously modified and overpowered toy in the other garage.

So, anyone else?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

I got my E36/7 started today, it needed a warranty replacement battery after it died during storage.

The way the car sounds, smells, feels, looks, runs, all the feedback-just can't be duplicated in a more modern car.

But that's the F30's purpose for me. Its to be a great car that allows me to enjoy the ridiculously modified and overpowered toy in the other garage.

So, anyone else?

when i read the title i thought u were talking about the GF lol she complains how i like the car more than her
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
when i read the title i thought u were talking about the GF lol she complains how i like the car more than her
That was a bit intentional lol.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
That was a bit intentional lol.
My F30 competes with my wife for sure...and it's close. She hates that...

I WISH I had another ride...OMG, would be awesome to have a 'vert track car like you!

Thus far, only squeeze...DD/Track/you name it.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

My other toy/ distraction right now is my Suzuki M109R. This time of year with the weather warming up she moves front and center. I am into modding and fab work on my machines. I have well over 14k into this current bike. Love my f30 but the bike is a lot of fun. Did I mention she dynoed at the rear wheel 127.

280 out back

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
My other toy/ distraction right now is my Suzuki M109R. This time of year with the weather warming up she moves front and center. I am into modding and fab work on my machines. I have well over 14k into this current bike. Love my f30 but the bike is a lot of fun. Did I mention she dynoed at the rear wheel 127.

280 out back

That's a pretty bad ass bike!

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Thanks. Been a long time labor of love.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
+1, but in my case it's my whole family...wife, son and daughter...that complain that I like my F30 better than them.

They are right...

OP, If I had a fire breathing toy in the garage then I might share your sentiment, but for me, my F30 IS my toy. One day I'll add an E36 M3 to the stable as my track day toy....just not today.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The F30 is my winter beater.

I have a number of more interesting machines to drive/ride/fly which relegate the F30 to being mostly ignored otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

All I own is toys! Couple 2-seaters, one motorcycle (it took me to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska back in 2011)... and a few bicycles.

Since my M is setup for track and autocross, I'd like to pick something up that's a better all around/roadtrip vehicle (I don't really have a commute, so I don't need a commuter). That's why I had my eye out for the F31 touring. Definitely wanted a long range (diesel!) AWD (to blow by chain control in the mountains) 6 speed wagon to burn up the miles on roadtrips.

Sadly, BMW blew it horribly by only offering the slushbox in the F31, but now I'm in the habit of coming to this forum on an almost-daily basis, so y'all are stuck with me.

I couldn't care less about the sedans. I've never owned a sedan, don't plan on owning one, simply have zero interest. It's neither the most interesting form factor nor the most useful -- the F31 is more useful (and maybe the fugly 3GT) and the F32 is arguably more attractive (though I actually preferred the looks of the E90 to the E92).

The F30 is a fantastic car/DD/appliance, no doubt. From my test drives, it's more athletic than the competition. I just don't see getting all worked up about a family car -- 'round here, you see more BMW sedans than Ford sedans.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
All I own is toys! Couple 2-seaters, one motorcycle (it took me to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska back in 2011)... and a few bicycles.

Since my M is setup for track and autocross, I'd like to pick something up that's a better all around/roadtrip vehicle (I don't really have a commute, so I don't need a commuter). That's why I had my eye out for the F31 touring. Definitely wanted a long range (diesel!) AWD (to blow by chain control in the mountains) 6 speed wagon to burn up the miles on roadtrips.

Sadly, BMW blew it horribly by only offering the slushbox in the F31, but now I'm in the habit of coming to this forum on an almost-daily basis, so y'all are stuck with me.

I couldn't care less about the sedans. I've never owned a sedan, don't plan on owning one, simply have zero interest. It's neither the most interesting form factor nor the most useful -- the F31 is more useful (and maybe the fugly 3GT) and the F32 is arguably more attractive (though I actually preferred the looks of the E90 to the E92).

The F30 is a fantastic car/DD/appliance, no doubt. From my test drives, it's more athletic than the competition. I just don't see getting all worked up about a family car -- 'round here, you see more BMW sedans than Ford sedans.
If I could have my exact F30 as an F31, meaning the 6mt in EB2 MSport RWD guise, I would have taken it over the sedan in a heart beat.

I always had a thing for sporty wagons. I look at CTS-V wagons just because of this.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Living in Irvine/Newport, I see more BMWs than anything. You must have short guy complex. You come on a sedan forum and rip them. And coupe 2-seaters? At 6'5, I could not fit in one if my life depended on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Living in Irvine/Newport, I see more BMWs than anything. You must have short guy complex. You come on a sedan forum and rip them. And coupe 2-seaters? At 6'5, I could not fit in one if my life depended on it.
On the MZ3 forum, there are plenty of guys 6'2-6'5 that have M Coupes and M Roadsters. I am glad I am nice and short so my height does not dictate what I drive lol. I am the tallest of my cars 3 previous owners and I am barely touching 5'8 lol.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
On the MZ3 forum, there are plenty of guys 6'2-6'5 that have M Coupes and M Roadsters. I am glad I am nice and short so my height does not dictate what I drive lol. I am the tallest of my cars 3 previous owners and I am barely touching 5'8 lol.
Lol. I can totally fit in an M coupe or an S5. It get's extremely difficult for me when it's a true two seater. Lot of leg here. That said, I have always preferred sedans over coupes unless we are talking Aston's and Masi's (which are way out of my price range).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Lol. I can totally fit in an M coupe or an S5. It get's extremely difficult for me when it's a true two seater. Lot of leg here. That said, I have always preferred sedans over coupes unless we are talking Aston's and Masi's (which are way out of my price range).
When I had my M Coupe, a colleague from Germany came over, who was 6'8". He'd always wanted to drive an M Coupe and he found a way, although it did not look at all comfortable.

At 6'2", I had to sort of cheat to achieve 2" of clearance with a helmet for track duty.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

So, anyone else?
The M coupe is a BMW. The F30 is a comfortable family car. That's the main difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
The M coupe is a BMW. The F30 is a comfortable family car. That's the main difference.
Well, we will see when the M3 comes, as it's going to be dimensionally identical and still 4 doors and comfortable

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Might as well post pics of the "other" car.

I am cleaning it for it's first show after it's winter slumber.

Here is an example of the illness I have with this car.

Stock hood latch. It's weak, cracks and breaks.

Replaced with a machined billet piece. Most people would never notice, never bother. lol

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
I thought folks with a short guy complex drove lifted pickups? At the very least, they don't accentuate their shortness by driving small cars. I'm not sure you really understand what you're talking about. I'm 5'10" so I'm thoroughly average height, but thanks for your concern.

The reason I came to the F30/F32 forum was to get info about the F31, as I mentioned in my post. If you haven't noticed, it's discussed quite frequently here. And I'm sure once the F32 comes out, there will be plenty of F30 vs F32 trash talking. Might want to prepare yourself.

My M coupe has been driven by a guy who's 6'10". I don't think he was very comfortable though. At 6'5" you'd fit in plenty of 2 seaters. I have another 6'10" friend who drives a 135 'vert. Granted, it's not a 2 seater, but it's not a huge car.

Jamesons, I have a black machined billet hood release handle too! I forget who it was on the forums that made 'em. I totally forgot it's even there, but the old plastic one sure felt like it was bending a lot every time I opened the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought folks with a short guy complex drove lifted pickups? I'm 5'10" so I'm thoroughly average height, but thanks for your concern. I'm on the F30/F32 forum for info about the F31, as I mentioned.

My M coupe has been driven by a guy who's 6'10". I don't think he was very comfortable though. At 6'5" you'd fit in plenty of 2 seaters. I have another 6'10" friend who drives a 135 'vert. Granted, it's not a 2 seater, but it's not a huge car.
If I had short guy complex, I sure as hell would not drive a tiny Roadster lol.

The guys I know with M Roadster and M Coupes are pretty self assured-chill dudes. Some of the best people I have met are in that forum. These are the guys that came over and helped me with my blower install...beer in hand. In fact a couple of the older guys were smokin' weed in my driveway in Sunday daylight lol.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
If I had short guy complex, I sure as hell would not drive a tiny Roadster lol.

The guys I know with M Roadster and M Coupes are pretty self assured-chill dudes. Some of the best people I have met are in that forum. These are the guys that came over and helped me with my blower install...beer in hand. In fact a couple of the older guys were smokin' weed in my driveway in Sunday daylight lol.

Lol. Sorry, had a moment this morning. Guy in a Chrysler Crossfire cut me off. Plus, I did not have coffee yet when I wrote that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Lol. Sorry, had a moment this morning. Guy in a Chrysler Crossfire cut me off. Plus, I did not have coffee yet when I wrote that.
You should be used to that. I always get stressed when I drive down there.
Appreciate 0