F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car shopping interested in a f3x manual for a daily
proTUNING Freaks

03-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Adrian9656
Rep
Drives: 2016 Fiesta ST

Car shopping interested in a f3x manual for a daily

Hello everyone so I have a 2012 Dodge Charger as a project car/current show car and I bought a 2016 Fiesta ST in October as a daily. But we recently found out we’re expecting a child in September and I’m looking for a fun and reliable manual sedan with good trunk space to daily. Looking to be under 30k miles and price and bluetooth and manual transmission are my only wants optionwise. I love to have fun and never keep my cars stock. Currently my ST is fbo with a custom e30 tune/93. With your experiences would this be reliable for me to be using it when driving my child around? I already went on the ats forum for the ats 2.0 sedan and they said the rear seats are really tight for a rear facing seat and the trunk is small for a sedan. I originally wanted a 335i but my must have is a msport pack and the first one i saw was 33k which is a bit out of my price range so should i settle for a 328i msport manual? I’d be new to german cars but my friend has a 15’ 435 and i love how strong it pulls. Has a jb4 charge pipe and dp.
Sorry its a lot but please help me out with your experiences and would be a good price to pay for a 328i/335i with m sport manual with under 30k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

Are you looking at the F3x as your main baby/family car? It'll work, but I would probably recommend a bigger car. The main reason I felt comfortable with getting a 335 sedan was because my wife's car is a Ford Edge that we usually take if we're going somewhere with the baby.

The F30 will fit a rear facing seat pretty well, without needing to put the front seat too far forward, but trunk space is tight, especially if you need to bring a stroller.

Like you, one of my main requirements was a manual transmission, which led me to ALMOST buy a Wrangler - basically the only SUV on the market with a manual. And you mentioned you like modding your cars, the sky's the limit with the Wrangler!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Under 30k miles will be tough. You'll have to look thru CPO and private seller postings.

CPO is highly recommended because you get some warranty. You're probably looking for a 328 in your price range. I tend to shy away from used cars over 4 years old - but you likely won't find the low mileage you want at 4+ years old anyway.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Under 30k miles will be tough. You'll have to look thru CPO and private seller postings.

CPO is highly recommended because you get some warranty. You're probably looking for a 328 in your price range. I tend to shy away from used cars over 4 years old - but you likely won't find the low mileage you want at 4+ years old anyway.
This, I paid 32k for my CPO 335 and it had 34k miles on it already.
      03-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I had a F30 328i for quite awhile when my son was still a baby and I was very happy with it. It was quick enough and looked great. So long as you are not wanting to do 1/4 runs agains Bugattis you will be fine. I would recommend looking for a wagon or even looking at an X3. It just makes life easier.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Agreed that I would look at other cars if space is a priority. the back seat of a 3 series, a4, or c-class leaves a lot to be desired. it's not much more space than the coupe too be honest. you'll want a full-size sedan or an suv. or you could just upgrade to a focus st.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
F30-XP-DM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xDrive

335 is certainly obtainable for 30k with under 40k ish miles, but once you specify your search to an M sport.. that makes things hard. Also agree with the others that the back seat is pretty limited on the 3 series. Is an M sport body really a 100% deal breaker?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
Adrian9656
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranga View Post
Are you looking at the F3x as your main baby/family car? It'll work, but I would probably recommend a bigger car. The main reason I felt comfortable with getting a 335 sedan was because my wife's car is a Ford Edge that we usually take if we're going somewhere with the baby.

The F30 will fit a rear facing seat pretty well, without needing to put the front seat too far forward, but trunk space is tight, especially if you need to bring a stroller.

Like you, one of my main requirements was a manual transmission, which led me to ALMOST buy a Wrangler - basically the only SUV on the market with a manual. And you mentioned you like modding your cars, the sky's the limit with the Wrangler!
Yes as my daily and what I expect to be driving my baby around in too but if the size doesn’t work i guess i could bring out my landyacht out of hibernation in the garage lol. And yes my fiancé dailys her wrangler unlimited thats her dream car only other reasonable car shed have to daily is a silver wrx but thats another story. I honestly might just go with a f30 328i for about 2 years then transition to a atsv or f80 m3 once the g series is out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Adrian9656
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

I prefer doing dealer deals i normally get them to put in a lift and i give it a glance and thorough test drive. And if its a manufacturer dealer i pay the extra to cpo it if it isnt already. My ST i got with 10k miles cpo it was a ford owned car. I mean i know low mileage gems are out there i just have to be patient i waited for 3 months before i called the dealer 4 hours away negotiated over the phone and went the next morning to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
This, I paid 32k for my CPO 335 and it had 34k miles on it already.
might be a little high in mileage and price a 328i with some few bolt ons, a tune, and better tires should give me the fun and stay in the budget for a short ownership ill have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I had a F30 328i for quite awhile when my son was still a baby and I was very happy with it. It was quick enough and looked great. So long as you are not wanting to do 1/4 runs agains Bugattis you will be fine. I would recommend looking for a wagon or even looking at an X3. It just makes life easier.
Haha thats what i like to hear i might be on the same path as you temporarily a 328 to work my way to a m3 or ats-v. I looked at the wagons and they look good dont get me wrong especially in the metallic grey to compliment the lines but i need to have a manual as a part of a lineup i cant completely turn my back on it until my next car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30-XP-DM View Post
335 is certainly obtainable for 30k with under 40k ish miles, but once you specify your search to an M sport.. that makes things hard. Also agree with the others that the back seat is pretty limited on the 3 series. Is an M sport body really a 100% deal breaker?
M sport and manual are my must haves. No offense to any with other packages i just am a sucker for aggresivs body panels when theirs a choice from the factory plus the steering wheel feels so much better to me. A 328i manual m sport should be easier to find for under 30k miles and maybe even under 25k instead of 30k.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
Adrian9656
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Agreed that I would look at other cars if space is a priority. the back seat of a 3 series, a4, or c-class leaves a lot to be desired. it's not much more space than the coupe too be honest. you'll want a full-size sedan or an suv. or you could just upgrade to a focus st.
Most people seem to say it should do here. Ill probably wait till we get the seat and take it to the deAler and ask if i can fit the child seat to test. And i always have the charger in the garage if when i do take the baby we need more trunk space for extra stuff like an activity day. But i think hatchbacks when speaking to trunks are the most pathetic in cubic space. Sedans seems to be the perfect medium unless they had manuAl 328 wagons.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

Looked at F34 GT? Looks quite roomy, and sits a little higher - something you will appreciate when you gotta squeeze that car seat et al in and out all day...
Mojave Metallic | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | Navigation | 442M 19" Staggered | Gloss Black Kidneys & Exhaust Tips | Ferrari Red Start Button | M Sport Pedals | LCI Sills | Hikari LED Fogs & Brights | VIP Moto 55W HID | FRG Flat Black Caliper Covers | CF Rear Spoiler, Eyebrows, and Roundels | Huper Optik 30% Ceramic Tint
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian9656 View Post
Most people seem to say it should do here. Ill probably wait till we get the seat and take it to the deAler and ask if i can fit the child seat to test. And i always have the charger in the garage if when i do take the baby we need more trunk space for extra stuff like an activity day. But i think hatchbacks when speaking to trunks are the most pathetic in cubic space. Sedans seems to be the perfect medium unless they had manuAl 328 wagons.
Kid fits in the back fine but with a rear facing seat the front seat has to be moved way forward. so for a while the passenger will have their knees in the glove box.

We just upgraded from a wagon to an X5 and it's a world of difference for my wife. Just about anything can work, the seat even fits in the back of my 4 series without an issue. But if you're buying a bigger car for more space/comfort, get a car that will actually give you more space. i don't see a 3 series being that big of a difference from your fiesta.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Forward and rear facing child seats fit perfectly fine in an f30 3-series. The trunk will also accommodate a typical stroller, and there's plenty of room for taking bags and what not. The only times an f30 seems small is when one needs to transport a large item like a 60" flat screen. In those cases you can just have it shipped or borrow a truck. If you have a spare truck or suv, so much the better. An f36 will even fit fairly large items if you remove the baby seat and fold the back seats down. It's kind of a pain taking the baby seat in and out, but how often do you transport huge items anyway. If you do, then you'd be looking at a truck or full size suv.

Point being an f30 will do domestic duty just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Kid fits in the back fine but with a rear facing seat the front seat has to be moved way forward. so for a while the passenger will have their knees in the glove box.
Methinks that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm 6' and I fit just fine in my wife's 328xd in front of my grand-daughter's rear-facing seat.

What doesn't work is a third rear-seat passenger with two car seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

The F30 is a pretty roomy sedan. My kids are a bit older now, but I had no problem with rear facing seats in earlier smaller 3 series models, so I would say it's a great choice for your needs and wants. It's a fun engaging car with stick shift and plenty of rear seat and trunk room. Can't think of a better option with a manual.

So my recommendation would be to just start combing the internet for the right one. Manual will cut your selection dramatically, so keep a sharp eye and find the right 328/335 with M sport nearest your mileage and price targets. You will find one that fits the bill. I just helped by Brother-in-law find a 328 m sport and with enough looking, there are some pretty good deals out there.

Sure the 6 cylinder is the way to go if you can find one at your price with low mileage, The 4 cylinder doesn't have the same rush, but it is still fun to drive and can be tuned to be fast enough to be fun.

The F30 is still a great do it all car if you get the right spec.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Methinks that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm 6' and I fit just fine in my wife's 328xd in front of my grand-daughter's rear-facing seat.
It's really not. In a comfortable position the seat hits the headrest, so you either have to sit the back of the seat straight up or move it forward. so your choice is either no legroom or sit folded in half. My head almost hits the roof sitting like that, and i'm 6' too. Plus when she has to ride in the back to feed him/give him attention, she complains about limited leg room in the rear.

Like I said, you can make it work but 1. It's not that comfortable and 2. You won't get that much of an improvement moving from a hatchback to a sedan. We have a sedan and a coupe and both have a similar amount of space in the front and back seats, the only difference is headroom in the rear. i'd imagine a GC is the same. You don't really get more room out of a car until moving up to full-size sedan (5 series, E-class, A6) or an SUV. Crossovers and wagons aren't much better either.

Just voicing my opinion/frustration that i've dealt with the past few months before biting the bullet and upgrading. The X5 drives really well for a large car, much better than the other german brands. More space in the front, back, and trunk than our old wagon, and it has a lot more features. We bought a 2010 but even up to a 2013 can be had for 20k or so. That's my recommendation, though after a while you'll be itching for a fun car again.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #17
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
It's really not....

Just voicing my opinion/frustration that i've dealt with the past few months before biting the bullet and upgrading. The X5 drives really well for a large car, much better than the other german brands. More space in the front, back, and trunk than our old wagon, and it has a lot more features. We bought a 2010 but even up to a 2013 can be had for 20k or so. That's my recommendation, though after a while you'll be itching for a fun car again.
It's fine to voice your opinions, but you're presenting your opinion as fact. Several others have voiced opposing opinions; please don't denigrate them.

As for facts: the X5 has only about 1/2 inch more legroom than the 5-series, which has only about 1.5 inches more rear legroom than the 3-series. Those are taken from edmunds.com's specs (all have comparable front seat specs.)

We have Chico car seats; perhaps yours are not and take more space. <shrug>

As an aside, the car sites make it very difficult to get to those numbers. They used to be useful (edmunds, bmwna, cars.com, etc.) Now they're almost completely a waste of time for actual research.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

The GC is not nearly as good as the sedan for rear seat room. I had one as a loaner and it was more of a difference than I expected. Go sedan over GC. Plus with your budget, there is a price jump to the GC.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      03-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
larcoc
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive

i got my 335i manual xdrive w/ 18k miles 4-5 months ago for 30k flat. came from a lease. it is base but im gonna upgrade the suspension so I dont care for msport and it is stage1 MHD already gonna go stage 2 w/ intercooler by the end of the year
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #20
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian9656 View Post
....M sport and manual are my must haves. No offense to any with other packages i just am a sucker for aggresivs body panels when theirs a choice from the factory plus the steering wheel feels so much better to me. A 328i manual m sport should be easier to find for under 30k miles and maybe even under 25k instead of 30k.
This is a tough search. You will have to keep your eyes open and be willing to go some distance to get what you want. Be flexible with the options. Do you want a xDrive or RWD vehicle as they both come with manual trans (in 335i)? If you go 328i, only RWD has manual.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

My 2015 CPO 335 Msport 6MT had 27k miles when I bought it for $34k. Well optioned... so I think you should be able to find something less optioned for around $30k, especially if it's not a CPO

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #22
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I looked for over a year for a six speed 335 within a few states and was never able to find one. I finally gave up and ordered a new one.
Appreciate 0