F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 8 Speed Transmission Questions
Studio RSR

01-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

8 Speed Transmission Questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I ordered my car and it isn\'t going into production in 2 weeks and I have time to change stuff. I\'ve been driving Manual All my life. And I\'m switching to Auto after all the praise it got. But I\'m curious is the downshifting good cause on a 6 speed it sucks. I want to be able for it to downshift without pressing the break like a manual will it do that.?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen
I ordered my car and it isn\'t going into production in 2 weeks and I have time to change stuff. I\'ve been driving Manual All my life. And I\'m switching to Auto after all the praise it got. But I\'m curious is the downshifting good cause on a 6 speed it sucks. I want to be able for it to downshift without pressing the break like a manual will it do that.?
One thing to add. In the paddle shifters will it let me redline if I wanted to like make a quick turn and accelerate really fast
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

its fast, not as fast as a proper 6-2 heel toe downshift in a manual, but faster than the outgoing zf6
      01-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
its fast, not as fast as a proper 6-2 heel toe downshift in a manual, but faster than the outgoing zf6
No it is not. Or prove it. However a car with the ZF 8-sp. is likely to be quicker than ZF 6-sp. because it has more gears to ensure that the engine RPM is kept on average as close as possible on peak HP.

To OP, the real problem is not the transmission (ZF or GM doesn't matter) but the throttle response and the associated programming. I have seen comments in reviews that the response on ZF 8-sp. is still programmed for economy.

This is why a company like Burger Tuning released the PBX. I bought one for my car and no more lag related to throttle response. It does its job. I also drive most of the time in DS/M mode which helps.

Last edited by Saintor; 01-07-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Drove both, ZF 8 speed is faster shift times, anyone that drives both can tell the difference.
      01-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Drove both, ZF 8 speed is faster shift times, anyone that drives both can tell the difference.
Even ZF says that it isn't so.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...enjoyment.html
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The 8 speed 'box shifts far quicker than any manual.

However, at least BMW have sorted the manual out now, it has been 5 years since this awful clutch and flywheel has been about, and they have only just sorted the design out so it changes how a manual should.

I say buy which one you prefer, the auto 'boxes are so good now that they beat a manual in performance terms on level, so really just a case of whether you feel like a race driver or some other shit by having a manual 'box.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Even ZF says that it isn't so.
That well might be so, but in my F10 535d with the same box, I'm just too busy enjoying the seamless gear changes in 'sport+ mode' and what with looking where I'm going, I just don't have time to operate a stop-watch .
OP, you can look at all the raw facts detailing fractions of a second that are impossible to count, but be assured that the 8 speed auto is one hell of an efficient transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Saintor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
That well might be so, but in my F10 535d with the same box, I'm just too busy enjoying the seamless gear changes in 'sport+ mode' and what with looking where I'm going, I just don't have time to operate a stop-watch .
OP, you can look at all the raw facts detailing fractions of a second that are impossible to count, but be assured that the 8 speed auto is one hell of an efficient transmission.
Indeed. Not surprised that it is used by many car makers including Audi. It virtually kills the "need" for a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I say buy which one you prefer, the auto 'boxes are so good now that they beat a manual in performance terms on level, so really just a case of whether you feel like a race driver or some other shit by having a manual 'box.
this is why i prefer a manual. for me its not about which transmission is .0000 sec faster, I have fun driving 0-80ish and with a manual I can get much more enjoyment from the acceleration than just pressing my foot down and having lighting fast shifts.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Most race cars, from Formula 1 to Rally come equipped with SMG/DSG type boxes nowadays. Not many race car drivers actually drive cars with clutches.

As for the 8-speed, I have it in my Audi A5 and I really doubt there is anyone here who can shift faster with a manual transmission. There is one caveat though. it shifts really fast in S and even D; hoever, there is a distinct delay when using the paddle shifters. I have no idea why it was programmed to act this way.
Appreciate 0