F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone have high speed driveline vibration?
GetBMWParts

11-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
3xED
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport 6MT

Tires can cause high speed vibration problems - but are usually "first order" - meaning an input occurs 1x per tire rotation. These usually appear in the 60-70 MPH range (and can be at lower speeds if really bad) as a shake or shimmy (in the steering wheel or in the floor - hence vibrating passenger's seat). This isn't my case however - the tires are brand new and have been match mounted to the rims to reduce any vibration input due to imbalance or road force. My issue is a higher frequency buzz/drumming. BMW field techs have now driven both my cars, recognize the issue and are making a report to Germany. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the package of vibration isolators that are attached to the rear differential and rear axle carrier. They differ from model to model (different configurations for 335i, 328i AT, 328i MT) and the package is much more complicated than on the E90. I believe the ones on the 328i MT are either set to the wrong frequency or have one missing (the AT has three dampers; MT only two). I'm also pretty sure this is an MT-only deal. Everyone that says their car is smooth has the 8AT.

I also don't believe it's the clutch in my case either - both cars were brand new built a year apart.

m20b25: Do you have an F30 or E91 with the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xED View Post
m20b25: Do you have an F30 or E91 with the problem?
It's an e91 6AT. It could well be the tyres. However, if I'm accelerating hard then it only seems to appear when I throttle off. By accelerating hard I mean foot down but not as far a kick down
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Seekup41
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Acura RDX

I have similar problems. My 2013 328i xDrive sport line has a "wobble" or "shudder" which seems evident between 40 and 45 mph, and is even worse between 70-80 mph. It is inconsistent, doesn't happen every day or even on the same highways. But it certainly is annoying. It feels like it's coming from the back of the car because I feel the wobble in the drivers seat and in my tailbone. It's almost like something is wobbling somewhere in the back end.

It's been to the shop twice for the issue. The first time the dealer thought it was an out of spec passenger side rear wheel. They replaced the 397 wheel and road force balanced all four tires. The problem was back within 50 miles. Next time, they inspected the entire driveshaft and rear end and found an out of spec tire. They replaced the run flat and actually things seemed good for about a month but now the same problem is back. It's worse when the car is cold but also happens when the car has been up to highway speed for a while. It's super annoying.

I'm guessing that it is still a tire problem (defective run flat?) or something with a bad balancing job but it still is super annoying and unbecoming of a $50k vehicle.

Thoughts? Could it be something in the rear suspension or driveline still?
Makes me wonder if something in the suspension or rear assembly is out of spec.
Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

I've been experiencing steering wheel vibrations, almost a pulsating feel ever since I've swapped to my winter tires. They are brand new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT, mounted and balanced at a pretty reputable local shop. Only problem was I showed up close to closing time so the tech might have done a half assed job. Would winter tires (non studded) still cause steering wheel vibrations if the job was performed correctly?
      12-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
I've been experiencing steering wheel vibrations, almost a pulsating feel ever since I've swapped to my winter tires. They are brand new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT, mounted and balanced at a pretty reputable local shop. Only problem was I showed up close to closing time so the tech might have done a half assed job. Would winter tires (non studded) still cause steering wheel vibrations if the job was performed correctly?
How does your wheel/tire setup compare with your factory setup, in terms of width/offset/tire?

Most likely, you're experiencing nibble due to improperly balanced front tires. If you have a square setup, you could always rotate wheels and see if anything changes.

Source

"Steering nibble is the undesirable rotational vibration experienced by the driver at the steering wheel mainly during straight line driving. In some vehicles steering wheel nibble is the result of the chassis system responding to the tire and wheel force variations which eventually feed back in the form of slight rotations in the steering system. In many vehicles, steering nibble is caused by the presence of a front road wheel imbalance or front tire force variation. This steering wheel vibration occurs at a frequency of one times (1×) the rotational velocities of the front road wheels. The vibrations magnitude is maximized when these frequencies align with the steering/suspension resonant frequency, typically 12 to 20 Hz.
"
Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2009...#ixzz2oY80slLB
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
I would get them balanced again. I had a similar issue with my winter set last winter (vibration at about 120 km/h). Once I swapped my stock wheels back on in the spring the vibration was gone so I knew it was the winter wheels and had them rebalanced this fall and the vibration is now completely gone.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
How does your wheel/tire setup compare with your factory setup, in terms of width/offset/tire?

Most likely, you're experiencing nibble due to improperly balanced front tires. If you have a square setup, you could always rotate wheels and see if anything changes.

Source

"Steering nibble is the undesirable rotational vibration experienced by the driver at the steering wheel mainly during straight line driving. In some vehicles steering wheel nibble is the result of the chassis system responding to the tire and wheel force variations which eventually feed back in the form of slight rotations in the steering system. In many vehicles, steering nibble is caused by the presence of a front road wheel imbalance or front tire force variation. This steering wheel vibration occurs at a frequency of one times (1×) the rotational velocities of the front road wheels. The vibrations magnitude is maximized when these frequencies align with the steering/suspension resonant frequency, typically 12 to 20 Hz.
"
Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2009...#ixzz2oY80slLB
Tires and wheels are exactly the same as factory specs as I just mounted factory spec'd snow tires to factory 400M rims with original TMPS. I do have a squared set up but don't have a jack to rotate the tires to check. I might just have to bring the car back to the shop who mounted and balanced them and have them take care of it. Thanks for your input!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
I would get them balanced again. I had a similar issue with my winter set last winter (vibration at about 120 km/h). Once I swapped my stock wheels back on in the spring the vibration was gone so I knew it was the winter wheels and had them rebalanced this fall and the vibration is now completely gone.
For me it's a constant vibration regardless of speed (except for when stationary obviously) but it tends to be more noticiable as speed increases. I also tend to notice it more when road surfaces start to get a little loose. On long stretches of smooth highway I still feel it but not as pronounced as it would had there been slight grooves, rubble, etc. along the road. Like I told drob, I'll just have to contact the shop and have them take a look at it again. Thanks for your feedback as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #30
joedimarzio
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i, Sport Line

High Speed Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xED View Post
Has anyone noticed high speed driveline vibration on their F30? I had a 2013 328i 6MT M-Sport which was just replaced by BMW due to this problem. Last week I picked up my 2014 (same spec) at the Welt and it has the same issue. Really frustrated - and it's not me being too picky. Car and Driver just reported the same problem in their long term 2012 328i 6MT wrap up article (Oct issue).

Here's the issue: From about 72-95 MPH there's floor & seat vibration as well as low frequency drumming/booming noise that can be heard in the back ground. It peaks about 85 MPH and at that speed, the rear view mirror vibrates so badly that headlights of the cars behind you in the mirror are a blur. The seat vibration is much worse in the rear where there's a lot of vibration in the cushion. Car and Driver's description of the problem was nearly identical to mine (the only difference being they think their car started having the issue at 5900 miles, but both of mine were bad on delivery).

The dealer and BMW NA field service reps tried a lot of things: Balanced the tires, then replaced the wheels, rear differential and finally the prop shaft. It moved the vibration around, but never fixed it. At that point, BMW offered to replace the car.

I rode in a friend's 335i 8AT and it was glass at all speeds. Both my cars had different tires (Pirelli Cinturato on the '13; Bridgestone S001 on the '14) so I don't think it's that.

I also I don't think it's a manufacturing problem - would be unusual to have three cars from three different model years having exact same issue. I believe BMW missed something in the development of the car. I'm guessing it's related to the combination of N20 + 6MT.

I'm at a loss at this point since taking the car back to the dealer isn't going to get me anywhere. Perhaps if we band together - we can get BMW's attention and get them to look at the issue back at R&D in Munich?

Comments/advice welcome.

I have the same vibrations issues on my 320i 8AT.
At 90mph, the entire cabin or chassis starts to vibrate, but the vibration is even worse on the drivers seat (I guess the others seats vibrate the same) and the funny thing is that vibrations disappear for a few seconds en then comes back again. My car has 27,200 miles an I remember it has the same feeling when I picked it up from the dealership. I have no idea what to do...

regards,
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #31
BMW30_BLACK
Rep
Drives: BMW 32o

I have steering wheel vibrations at speeds over 70kmh/h, vibration is slight, however its noticable and keeps me thinking about it while driving, sometimes it disappears and then its back again. Also, I feel steering wheel pulsation when the engine is working (resonation ?) the pulsation is not visible, but i feel it. The official dealership said that they do not see any vibrations.

As to regards engine vibrations - i only feel it on my seat when i am starting the engine and when it works for some minutes. No serious cabin vibrations at high speeds.

320i. 10 000 km
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #32
iansanderson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I am having the identical issue as the OP. 2014 (08/13 build) 335i 6MT M-Sport since I picked up the car new. I initially chalked it up to tire imbalance from the factory. Like the OP, it is really bad at 85 MPH and goes in and out of phase with no obvious way to manipulate it other than going a different speed. When I say really bad, rear view mirror shaking, cups moving around in the cup holder, passengers commenting on it bad. It's at the dealership now at approx 9,000 mi.

Had Pirelli SottoZero winter tires installed in the fall and the issue remained. Just put the factory Conti's back on and it's still there. The dealer has determined it's obviously not a tire issue nor balancing problem.

As a whole, the car was built very poorly. Weird gap along the right side of the trunk/rear quarter seam, the Estroil Blue II base coat looks like it was sprayed with a rattle-can plus typical BMW orange peel clear coat, buzzing from the iDrive screen when cold, iDrive resetting, wind noise...

...all for the price of 57K MSRP!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #33
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

My feb13 328i 6mt had this on pickup from the Welt. Back in the us the dealer replaced all 4 rotors and the problem went away and hasn't returned for 11k miles. They said all 4 were warped.

It was vibration from 60 mph all the way on up. Not fun at 120 mph to garmisch!

I had a similar issue with a 2011 328 and the dealer replaced the tires for free. That took care of that one!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #34
iansanderson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, just got the car back today and according to the service manager, a FSR (BMW Field Service Rep) looked into my vibration issue and said there is no repair that will correct it.

That's where he left it, so the dealer really has nowhere to go from here since BMW could potentially charge-back any parts or labor attempts to repair my car for the vibration problem.

On a side note, the head technician informed me that there are "a lot" of vibration dampeners underneath the car that he never noticed on the automatic models. Not sure if this points to a known driveline vibration issue with the F30 that BMW has attempted to correct albeit unsuccessfully.

Not sure where to go from here other than calling BMWNA and complaining. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #35
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Strange, my 2013 428i 6MT has just developed the exact same issue starting just under 6k on the clock. Same issues, only occurs at 80mph and above. There is a slight vibration and the car starts resonating/booming. The booming sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Can't isolate the vibration. Does not affect the steering or anything.
I'm thinking it could be a unbalanced wheel or warped disc or something? Sounds like a common issue.
Car was running perfectly prior.
Have booked it into the dealers so hopefully they can identify the problem...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #36
iansanderson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Strange, my 2013 428i 6MT has just developed the exact same issue starting just under 6k on the clock. Same issues, only occurs at 80mph and above. There is a slight vibration and the car starts resonating/booming. The booming sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Can't isolate the vibration. Does not affect the steering or anything.
I'm thinking it could be a unbalanced wheel or warped disc or something? Sounds like a common issue.
Car was running perfectly prior.
Have booked it into the dealers so hopefully they can identify the problem...
Yep, same problem here, same speed, same booming from the rear, 6MT. Vibration has been getting progressively worse since about 5-6K miles. Now at nearly 10K, it is unbearable and starting at lower speeds. I can start to feel it around 70-75 now with 80-85 as its sweet-spot. Definitely feel it from the rear of the car, the steering wheel doesn't vibrate/oscillate when it is happening.

From what I gathered, the head tech at the dealership measured all wheels and hubs runout.. all OK. Checked the diff, no metal shavings. No play in suspension. No warping of rotors, I mean, I've never even curbed a rim. I've babied this car. All OEM too. Factory tires still on the car, balanced, not out of round. BMW FSR came in, head-tech explained the problem and what he checked. He asked the FSR what to do/replace next and the FSR said nothing, it's normal.

From my research, the issue seems limited to 6MT F30 regardless of engine. Interesting that the issue is stretching to the F32 chassis as well.

Mind posting back with an update on your F32?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #37
blk88verde
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 6MT M sport

2014 320i 6MT - build Oct 2013. So far, 3000 miles no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
Yep, same problem here, same speed, same booming from the rear, 6MT. Vibration has been getting progressively worse since about 5-6K miles. Now at nearly 10K, it is unbearable and starting at lower speeds. I can start to feel it around 70-75 now with 80-85 as its sweet-spot. Definitely feel it from the rear of the car, the steering wheel doesn't vibrate/oscillate when it is happening.

From what I gathered, the head tech at the dealership measured all wheels and hubs runout.. all OK. Checked the diff, no metal shavings. No play in suspension. No warping of rotors, I mean, I've never even curbed a rim. I've babied this car. All OEM too. Factory tires still on the car, balanced, not out of round. BMW FSR came in, head-tech explained the problem and what he checked. He asked the FSR what to do/replace next and the FSR said nothing, it's normal.

From my research, the issue seems limited to 6MT F30 regardless of engine. Interesting that the issue is stretching to the F32 chassis as well.

Mind posting back with an update on your F32?

The BMW technician confirmed the issue on my car from the passenger seat as apparently they are not able to do road tests over 70mph.
From the diagnosis the technician reported that the two back wheels were out of balance, one by about 5grams. All they did was to re-balance the rear wheels. However I have not had the chance to fully test the car as it was raining heavily with traffic on the way back. I did briefly get up to 80mph and it did seem like the vibration was gone. I will report back once I have driven it properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #39
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The BMW technician confirmed the issue on my car from the passenger seat as apparently they are not able to do road tests over 70mph.
From the diagnosis the technician reported that the two back wheels were out of balance, one by about 5grams. All they did was to re-balance the rear wheels. However I have not had the chance to fully test the car as it was raining heavily with traffic on the way back. I did briefly get up to 80mph and it did seem like the vibration was gone. I will report back once I have driven it properly.
Nope, issue still there... Very annoying. Still there from 80mph but doesn't seem as strong as before but hit 90 and and its there. Not sure it was louder when negotiating a bend or whether thats just me. Something to do with the diff or exhaust? It's one of those things because its at high speed only makes it difficult to pinpoint.
Will contact the dealer again.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
ethrnz
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d

I have the same vibration on my 430d. Only realized it when I was driving 800-900 kms on highway. It is very annoying as there many concrete highways in Germany, where the vibration gets stronger. I have the 8AT, and tested a lot. The vibration is the same when in N or D, so I guess it has nothing to to do with the drivetrain.
I found the car producing too much road noise/vibration from the very beginning. I tried to identify where the vibration is coming from, and my first idea was unbalanced tires, but had exactly the same feeling with factory Bridgeston RFTs and Hankook S2 evo non-RFTs. The F30 320d of my friend is running absolutely butter smoth compared to my car. Dealer service manager felt what I was talking about, but was not sure if this by design... more road feedback, whatever...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
ethrnz
Rep

Quote:
Nope, issue still there... Very annoying. Still there from 80mph but doesn't seem as strong as before but hit 90 and and its there. Not sure it was louder when negotiating a bend or whether thats just me. Something to do with the diff or exhaust? It's one of those things because its at high speed only makes it difficult to pinpoint.
Will contact the dealer again.
I had this rebalancing several times with both RFT and non-RFT, not better... Also 5g should not make any vibration.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #42
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethrnz View Post
I had this rebalancing several times with both RFT and non-RFT, not better... Also 5g should not make any vibration.
My vibration issue was not due to the tyres. My dealer managed to fix the issue, they did balance the tyres but that made no difference at all. They swapped in a new diff, but the car was still the same. They then raised a PUMA case back to Germany. In the end they swapped out the prop shaft and that finally sorted the vibration issue. The car is now smooth at all speeds. My car has the Bridgestone RFT's by the way.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 10-20-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #43
ethrnz
Rep

Quote:
My vibration issue was not due to the tyres. My dealer managed to fix the issue, they did balance the tyres but that made no difference at all. They swapped in a new diff, but the car was still the same. They then raised a PUMA case back to Germany. In the end they swapped out the prop shaft and that finally sorted the vibration issue. The car is now smooth at all speeds. My car has the Bridgestone RFT's by the way.
Hi there, did you experience any difference in vibration when pushing/lifting the throttle, drivetrain still cold (first 10-20km)?
I had a feeling I do not have this vibration in the first 10-20km, only after running a while on the motorway, but not sure about this.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #44
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethrnz View Post
Hi there, did you experience any difference in vibration when pushing/lifting the throttle, drivetrain still cold (first 10-20km)?
I had a feeling I do not have this vibration in the first 10-20km, only after running a while on the motorway, but not sure about this.
No, my issue was speed related so was only there at high speed after about 75 mph. The vibration was still there if you lifted the throttle or without drive engaged, no difference between cold or with throttle applied.
The vibration was subtle so you didn't really feel it, but there was a constant booming which sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. Dip below 75 and the issue disappears.
Appreciate 0