F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
Bring it back in for a repair attempt 78 83.87%
Demand something free as compensation 14 15.05%
Don't do anything, just let it go, this stuff happens 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

FWIW, In FL this type of claim would typically be covered under your comprehensive coverage. In FL (and I suspect elsewhere) uninsured motorist requires the damaging party (party who hit you) to be a human and the uninsured motorist claim is limited to bodily injury only and not damage to personal property.
      02-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
FWIW, In FL this type of claim would typically be covered under your comprehensive coverage. In FL (and I suspect elsewhere) uninsured motorist requires the damaging party (party who hit you) to be a human and the uninsured motorist claim is limited to bodily injury only and not damage to personal property.
Well, I can assure you it's different in DC. Also different in MD. Uninsured would cover damage to your vehicle caused by another person's vehicle. Comprehensive covers stuff caused by nature. If the OP was driving in a tornado and the tornado flung the thing into his car, it'd be comprehensive. If the thing came flying off another vehicle, it'd be uninsured motorist. Without a police report, though, the insurance company may force the latter to fall under comprehensive. In neither case would it be collision, which in DC and MD covers damage to your car cause by you.

Sometimes, what they will do is initially class it as collision until their adjusters review the case and determine that you didn't cause it yourself, but then shift it to uninsured. That generally only takes a day or less though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #47
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Thanks, I now know that I was very lucky and the car damage will get repaired. I'm going to start taking the smith system driving skills to heart now. The funny thing is our work just had a refresher course the day after the incident on driving safety, the scary statistic is most drivers have an accident every 18 years.

It happened on the freeway right before the offramp to my work in downtown LA. It's a pretty hazardous area as people from the freeway are trying to get off and another freeway merges where people are trying to get on.

That's pretty freaky that it happened to your wife before. Is this stuff really that common!?! Hope it's a one in a million event.

Be careful out there guys, it's a jungle...

I had a 2x4 get kicked up at my Mustang a couple years ago. Same deal - driver's mirror obliterated. My father had a pipe wrench come straight into his windshield a few years back as well. Thankfully he saw it bouncing off the truck up ahead and he instinctively hit the brakes. If he hadn't, it easily would have come all the way through.

Many years ago, there was an accident on I-95 outside of Philly where a torque convertor fell off of a car that was being towed. It bounced up over the median and through the windshield of an unsuspecting driver heading in the opposite direction. It went straight through the windshield at eye level.

This happens far more often than you might imagine. In most cases you really don't have a chance to react. Just count your blessings.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #48
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, I can assure you it's different in DC. Also different in MD. Uninsured would cover damage to your vehicle caused by another person's vehicle. Comprehensive covers stuff caused by nature. If the OP was driving in a tornado and the tornado flung the thing into his car, it'd be comprehensive. If the thing came flying off another vehicle, it'd be uninsured motorist. Without a police report, though, the insurance company may force the latter to fall under comprehensive. In neither case would it be collision, which in DC and MD covers damage to your car cause by you.

Sometimes, what they will do is initially class it as collision until their adjusters review the case and determine that you didn't cause it yourself, but then shift it to uninsured. That generally only takes a day or less though.

There's no definitive way to ascertain if it came directly from the other vehicle or if it was kicked up. The handful of times I've personally dealt with this it's been comprehensive with no deductible.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I had a 2x4 get kicked up at my Mustang a couple years ago. Same deal - driver's mirror obliterated. My father had a pipe wrench come straight into his windshield a few years back as well. Thankfully he saw it bouncing off the truck up ahead and he instinctively hit the brakes. If he hadn't, it easily would have come all the way through.

Many years ago, there was an accident on I-95 outside of Philly where a torque convertor fell off of a car that was being towed. It bounced up over the median and through the windshield of an unsuspecting driver heading in the opposite direction. It went straight through the windshield at eye level.

This happens far more often than you might imagine. In most cases you really don't have a chance to react. Just count your blessings.
That's very unsettling news.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #50
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's very unsettling news.
Look at it this way: you're way ahead of the curve with respect to the law of averages.

This is why it's best to not follow too closely to cars in front of you so you have a bit more time to react in the event there IS something that you can avoid. Likewise when on a divided highway - don't camp out in the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #51
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

My personal experience has been different, and a conversation with a friend who sells insurance confirms this should be a comprehensive claim. See links below.

http://www.allstate.com/auto-insuran...-coverage.aspx

http://www.allstate.com/auto-insuran...insurance.aspx
      03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Well, despite my warning about others getting damage due to seat removal for the rusty seat pan remediation, I got 2 deep gouges on the driver door sill. Also a big gouge on the wood console passenger side and a nick in the vinyl/plastic part below.

I don't want the sills repainted, but something like Lanka or careful touchup. The wood I'm sure must just pop out, but the vinyl is more problematic and I don't think I'd want that whole section messed with.

Anybody have to have the wood replaced?
      03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #53
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Well, despite my warning about others getting damage due to seat removal for the rusty seat pan remediation, I got 2 deep gouges on the driver door sill. Also a big gouge on the wood console passenger side and a nick in the vinyl/plastic part below.

I don't want the sills repainted, but something like Lanka or careful touchup. The wood I'm sure must just pop out, but the vinyl is more problematic and I don't think I'd want that whole section messed with.

Anybody have to have the wood replaced?
Wow, I guess we have sucessfully concluded that if u get the seat pans replaced there will be damage elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #54
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Wow, I guess we have sucessfully concluded that if u get the seat pans replaced there will be damage elsewhere.
Yeah, but the risk of rusty particles becoming airborne and messing up the electronics or who knows what else is more disturbing to me.

I'm not so bummed about the door sill, and the wood should be an easy fix. But the plastic part of the console I'm not so sure about.
      03-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #55
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I think at the very least these issues should be brought up to the dealer or even bmwna. For a car to be damaged from a repair that should've never existed in the first place is ridiculous.

For a company that prides itself on luxury, you'd think your car is in good hands at a dealership of all places. These are types of careless mistakes you'd expect from a shady autobody shop.

DarkTrigger,
Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, but just be glad it wasn't worse and you're safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #56
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3581512
I think at the very least these issues should be brought up to the dealer or even bmwna. For a car to be damaged from a repair that should've never existed in the first place is ridiculous.

For a company that prides itself on luxury, you'd think your car is in good hands at a dealership of all places. These are types of careless mistakes you'd expect from a shady autobody shop.

DarkTrigger,
Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, but just be glad it wasn't worse and you're safe.
Thanks, I'm glad that it wasn't worse too. What sucks is that it's been in the shop for almost two weeks now. They predict I'll get it back to me by the end of the week. I'm stuck taking the ghetto ass light rail train for now. You never know how much you love your car until it's gone.
Appreciate 0