F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you hate your steering?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #89
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmck View Post
Still can't decide on VSS and m adpative suspension, so many contrary opinions! Running out of time haha
If I were you that would be a no brainer...Adaptive package is a must.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #90
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a Sport Line but no Adaptive Steering and I don't like it. It's a bit lacking in feel but mainly it's way too slow. I don't like the artificially heavy steering in Sport because at center it's very light then suddenly loads up.

My perfect F30 steering would have 10% more feel, be 10% heavier than Comfort, and be 25% quicker.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #91
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Don't notice any significant difference in steering feel "stiffness" between comfort and Eco pro when on the highway, but definitely stiffens in sport mode. The steering response though is almost, if not instant, no play in the steering. I find I have to really concentrate staying in my lane as a slight twitch and the car moves off-center. I've gotten used to the more assisted steering when parking, etc, that when I switch to my X5, it feels like a truck with no power steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #92
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I am convined that this can be fixed through coding, I have been told that BMW simply had not dealt with it (hopefully yet, predictions suggest LS upgrade?).

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #93
jeff30
Rep
Drives: f30

At low speed it is too light, at 60 km/h+ the steer feels superb
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #94
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Hi all.

I picked up my car on Monday and have a question. In comfort mode the steering is smooth. However in sports mode I notice the steering feels "lumpy" only on small steering changes/inputs.

Just wondering if this is common? I was quite surprised.

It feels like the electric servo is inactive and suddenly wants to kick in when the steering angle turns past a few degrees. A bit of a disconcerting feel. Whilst I like the sports weight and feedback I can do without this feel.

Admittedly I didn't test drive much in sports mode
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #95
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

EPS steering failed at speed

Dear forum members, am quite lucky to be here tonight. Cold day in Ottawa, -24C earlier, when got my car and headed at the post office- borrowing a highway stretch. Wanted to have fun longer but.. being thew 13th had this unusual reservation I do not have about such a number. Warmed up the car, pushed lightly just to get the growl as my winter tires forced through the dry but very cold pavement. Went in Sport mode, steering felt a bit .. numb.

Exiting a ramp at about 60 km/hr thought I would loose it straight into the ditch, as the understeer was so bad. PULSE PULSE PULSE the M Performance brakes, car barely keeping the turn. "Cold, Black Ice or brand new tires failing..?" The temperature was low enough to suggest a cause. But the highway and ramp were bone dry. The next 2 minutes made it at the post office, not before having to make another effort to get her in. OK ground slush so maybe my car is not gripping. Lateral skid or drift I thought?

Post office done, got in, and had the first Steering warning. Then the Camera one popped. Interesting, had the Camera one on Sunday BUT it dissapeared without event, nothing else..

I crawled the car back at my near BMW dealership (to do a 120% large intersection turn i had to max the steering wheel revs like a bus). Once parked at the dealership, had the battery alarm. Am attaching pics.

Am very lucky, if I think of the drive between the EPS fail and the actual iDrive warning when i realized EPS had failed, I could have wrecked the car one of many ways. Should have towed it. One thing in my defense, is that, without too much ambient light, and eyes on the road, I could barely see the wheel in the dark or realize how much I had turned it. Ironically, had just gotten red leather to add a red stripe at the top so I can always tell...

What does this say about EPS? No idea. But unlike a hydraulic fail, where it becomes difficult to steer esp at slow speeds, in the EPS fail case the wheel became jello and my car did not want to steer unless I maxed the wheel. I cannot speculate on causes etc, but am neither impressed nor sure it is an acceptable glitch. Searched the forums, nothing similar to this experience...
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-13-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #96
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW
I love the steering. Had an e90 sport 335i and now a F30 335i - sport mode in the F30 is very comparable. I'm often in comfort and it's still awesome. I have adaptive M suspension, active steering, and 19's with bridgestones.
Pretty much same story here. Cam from an e90 335 m sport and running an f30 335 m sport xdrive with dinan suspension. No issues with steering. Sport mode is just right.
      01-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #97
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Is that -22*C?

F THAT!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #98
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Dear forum members, am quite lucky to be here tonight. Cold day in Ottawa, -24C earlier, when got my car and headed at the post office- borrowing a highway stretch. Wanted to have fun longer but.. being thew 13th had this unusual reservation I do not have about such a number. Warmed up the car, pushed lightly just to get the growl as my winter tires forced through the dry but very cold pavement. Went in Sport mode, steering felt a bit .. numb.

Exiting a ramp at about 60 km/hr thought I would loose it straight into the ditch, as the understeer was so bad. PULSE PULSE PULSE the M Performance brakes, car barely keeping the turn. "Cold, Black Ice or brand new tires failing..?" The temperature was low enough to suggest a cause. But the highway and ramp were bone dry. The next 2 minutes made it at the post office, not before having to make another effort to get her in. OK ground slush so maybe my car is not gripping. Lateral skid or drift I thought?

Post office done, got in, and had the first Steering warning. Then the Camera one popped. Interesting, had the Camera one on Sunday BUT it dissapeared without event, nothing else..

I crawled the car back at my near BMW dealership (to do a 120% large intersection turn i had to max the steering wheel revs like a bus). Once parked at the dealership, had the battery alarm. Am attaching pics.

Am very lucky, if I think of the drive between the EPS fail and the actual iDrive warning when i realized EPS had failed, I could have wrecked the car one of many ways. Should have towed it. One thing in my defense, is that, without too much ambient light, and eyes ont he road, I could barely see the wheel in the dark or realize how much I had turned it. Ironically, had just gotten red leather to add a red stripe at the top so I can always tell...

What does this say about EPS? No idea. But unlike a hydraulic fail, where it becomes difficult to steer esp at slow speeds, in the EPS fail case the wheel became jello and my car did not want to steer unless I maxed the wheel. I cannot speculate on causes etc, but am neither impressed nor sure it is an acceptable glitch. Searched the forums, nothing similar to this experience...
Weired
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #99
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Is that -22*C?

F THAT!!!
-24 to -28 with windchill, or as low as -18F. I do not think the temperature had an effect; thinking it may have began failing a day previously when it was -5.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #100
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Steering is fine, better than fine. In comfort the wheel is maybe a smidge heavier but no less responsive than my S4. Handles just like a performance sports car should.....and it's a wagon.

F31 x-Drive with M sport and DHP, factory RFT

I wonder if everyone complaining about electric steering knows that combat aircraft have had electonic fly-by-wire controls for many, many years. It's called technology and advancement.

Heck there are still people on the old 944 forums that complain and whine about HYDRAULIC power steering instead of the 100% manual gear. I mean....really......you can't please everyone. LOL
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #101
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

no complaints here

MPS, with pilot sport a/s 3

drive 90% of the time in Sport mode

compared to the E46 we still have, it's different but not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #102
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post

Am very lucky, if I think of the drive between the EPS fail and the actual iDrive warning when i realized EPS had failed, I could have wrecked the car one of many ways. Should have towed it. One thing in my defense, is that, without too much ambient light, and eyes on the road, I could barely see the wheel in the dark or realize how much I had turned it. Ironically, had just gotten red leather to add a red stripe at the top so I can always tell...

I believe that the car was telling you that humans are not meant to live in -22C weather.

Seriously though, that's not an excuse, and it was much colder here in Ohio last year during the "Polar Vortex" and my F30 had no issues. What did the BMW Service Center say? I wouldn't let them get off with a simple "it happens"...that's a safety issue for sure.
      01-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #103
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

I am able to live with a 2014 with sport suspension. It is definitely too vague for my taste. That "sudden" artificial heavy feel needs to go especially at low speed. At higher speed I can tolerate during regular driving. BMW take notice!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #104
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

I just wish the ratio was a little higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #105
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

335i with OEM run-flats and the standard suspension. I enjoy the ease of maneuvering the car on city streets, which can be attributed to the electric steering. When I take the car on the mountain roads, I put it in sport mode and shift manually. I didn't like the way the car felt at first, coming into it from an E46, but I definitely like it now. Hard to explain, but I seemed to grow more fond of the electric steering as time went on because it's precise and does give some feedback as to what the front tires are doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #106
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Here's my take. Previous E90 328i owner. Traded it for a new 2015 335i M Sport a few weeks ago. Sad about the old one but so excited for the new. The old E90 steering was the best steering system I've ever had, save, maybe, an '89 Acura Integra that was also really special. I was a little disappointed in the f30. But, thinking about that old Integra, it all makes sense. It's easy to long for the old days. The E90 was more direct and communicative. But not by much. Mostly it's just different . As I get used to the F30 I realize that it is still a BMW. Accurate, communicative, excellent. Do I miss the old rattle trap but practically telepathic Integra? Yes. Do I miss the E90? Yes. Will I miss the F30 when I part with it. Surely.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #107
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Would like the ratio tightened up a bit - that's all
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #108
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW View Post
I love the steering. Had an e90 sport 335i and now a F30 335i - sport mode in the F30 is very comparable. I'm often in comfort and it's still awesome. I have adaptive M suspension, active steering, and 19's with bridgestones.
I know it's an old post but I just drove a 2015 328i for the first time today. I have an 09 e92 328i with sports package. Which has really heavy steering (takes more muscle to turn wheel but don't have to turn wheel as much).

This 2015 328i was the complete opposite. I had to crank the wheel like mad and took little effort to turn. Very loose. I was really disappointed, it felt like a buick verano I had as a rental recently. I would have to turn the wheel a lot more for the desired result.

I quoted your post specifically because you said is was comparible to an e90 which I find isn't the case at all. So I'm curious to know what information I'm missing.

I heard some people talk about different sport settings, and I've tried eco, comfort and sport on mine and that didnt seem to affect the steering at all.

Am I crazy or what's up? The steering, shifter, and brakes killed this car for me, which sucks because I was planning to sell my car in a couple years and pick up a used 2012-2015 328i, just refresh what I already had.

The brakes didnt seem nearly as grabby. The shifter felt tiny and cheap. The transmission however seems a lot better. I'm on the fence about the inline 4 turbo over the inline 6, but the inline 4 sounds cooler and seems to have more pick up. The turbo wastegate or blow off valve, whatever.. sounds pretty cool.

Sorry I got off topic of steering, but lastly I'll say I really liked the tech in it. The colour screen under the cluster is nice
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #109
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
I know it's an old post but I just drove a 2015 328i for the first time today. I have an 09 e92 328i with sports package. Which has really heavy steering (takes more muscle to turn wheel but don't have to turn wheel as much).

This 2015 328i was the complete opposite. I had to crank the wheel like mad and took little effort to turn. Very loose. I was really disappointed, it felt like a buick verano I had as a rental recently. I would have to turn the wheel a lot more for the desired result.

I quoted your post specifically because you said is was comparible to an e90 which I find isn't the case at all. So I'm curious to know what information I'm missing.

I heard some people talk about different sport settings, and I've tried eco, comfort and sport on mine and that didnt seem to affect the steering at all.

Am I crazy or what's up? The steering, shifter, and brakes killed this car for me, which sucks because I was planning to sell my car in a couple years and pick up a used 2012-2015 328i, just refresh what I already had.

The brakes didnt seem nearly as grabby. The shifter felt tiny and cheap. The transmission however seems a lot better. I'm on the fence about the inline 4 turbo over the inline 6, but the inline 4 sounds cooler and seems to have more pick up. The turbo wastegate or blow off valve, whatever.. sounds pretty cool.

Sorry I got off topic of steering, but lastly I'll say I really liked the tech in it. The colour screen under the cluster is nice
I must agree with the steering. I have had 2 E90s, still have 1 of them. My F30 has zero feel compared to them. I will add the caveat that I drove an A4 and A3 when buying my F30 and they had about the same amount of feel (i.e. nonexistent). However, it is very precise and accurate and turn in is much more rapid than my E90 with the new tires/suspension.

Also agree about the shifter, why they couldn't retain the E90s nice shifter is beyond me.

In terms of powertrain, the F30 is much better than the E90 though, as well as the interior layout. The added interior space is also very nice. That is enough of a win for me to go for the F30.
      06-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #110
Blackpearll
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D XDrive

I don't like the electric steering, it does not give much feedback to my opinion. I have to visit the dealer because of small vibrations at specific speeds. I really hate it. Furthermore, there is a weird sound (not always) which I cannot trace for now. BMW's quality is decreasing with each model apparently ...
Appreciate 0