F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW MPerf Side Skirt Splitter (Blade) Install Instructions?
proTUNING Freaks

05-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Question BMW MPerf Side Skirt Splitter (Blade) Install Instructions?

Anyone have the link to the official pdf of BMW M Perf Side Skirt Splitter (blade) installation instructions?

For the life of me IDK why they don't just include the instructions in all their OEM add-on acessories

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Here you go mate , all you need couple of trolley jack and bobs your uncle

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...2&d=1358459388

Hope this helps
Appreciate 2
1QuikWS61621.50
Solidjake945.00
      05-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Thanx!

Most excellent - Pretty much had an idea how to install, just wanted to make sure with OEM instructions
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
UKF302524.00
      05-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Thx for the pdf, should be doing my front, sides, rear, and spoiler later this week.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

^ share some pics of the process if possible. I have my sides sitting on the floor because I'm nervous about messing something up.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
^ share some pics of the process if possible. I have my sides sitting on the floor because I'm nervous about messing something up.
Wish I had taken more pics. You need a 6mm drill bit (15/64"). I took the rocker panels off the car to make it easier to mount the side blades. Under the car are I think 11 (or is it 8?) plastic torx screws. Once those are out, start at the rear and the rocker panels just pull out. On each end of the blades, there is a "tab". The flat straight one goes towards the rear and the one that kinda sits up goes towards the front. I used masking tape to hold it in place, put in 2 of the screws, then drilled the 17 holes on each side thru the blade and rocker panel. I next removed the 2 screws and masking tape, cleaned off all the parts that would be touching 1st w/ some quick detailer, goo gone for anything remaining, then wiped down w/ alcohol. The blades have a thin stip of tape already on it, I added 4 more small pieces of 3M VHB tape as well. Lined up my holes, and put in the 17 expanding rivets and 11 screws. Put it back on and done.

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wish I had taken more pics. You need a 6mm drill bit (15/64"). I took the rocker panels off the car to make it easier to mount the side blades. Under the car are I think 11 (or is it 8?) plastic torx screws. Once those are out, start at the rear and the rocker panels just pull out. On each end of the blades, there is a "tab". The flat straight one goes towards the rear and the one that kinda sits up goes towards the front. I used masking tape to hold it in place, put in 2 of the screws, then drilled the 17 holes on each side thru the blade and rocker panel. I next removed the 2 screws and masking tape, cleaned off all the parts that would be touching 1st w/ some quick detailer, goo gone for anything remaining, then wiped down w/ alcohol. The blades have a thin stip of tape already on it, I added 4 more small pieces of 3M VHB tape as well. Lined up my holes, and put in the 17 expanding rivets and 11 screws. Put it back on and done.
OK, I look at the PDF of instructions you linked to & it shows that included with the blades are:

AB Blind Rivet, 5.0x8.0mm (17 x per side sill pkg)
AC Oval-headed screw, 4.2x14mm (11 x per side sill pkg)

My blades for F32 came ONLY with the AB Blind Rivets & there are Qty. 15

There are 15 pre-drilled holes in the blades for the Rivets

I do not have the 11 screws, nor are there any holes pre-drilled in the blades for them???

Instructions show these 3mm holes for screws in blades where mine have none & talk about drilling into side skirts for the screws

My car is F32 4 series coupe - instructions you linked to are for F30 3 series saloon - I'm guessing the car instructions & contents included are different between the two?

Do you have a link to F32 instructions wherever you got the F30 ones from?

TIA
Jay
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
OK, I look at the PDF of instructions you linked to & it shows that included with the blades are:

AB Blind Rivet, 5.0x8.0mm (17 x per side sill pkg)
AC Oval-headed screw, 4.2x14mm (11 x per side sill pkg)

My blades for F32 came ONLY with the AB Blind Rivets & there are Qty. 15

There are 15 pre-drilled holes in the blades for the Rivets

I do not have the 11 screws, nor are there any holes pre-drilled in the blades for them???

Instructions show these 3mm holes for screws in blades where mine have none & talk about drilling into side skirts for the screws

My car is F32 4 series coupe - instructions you linked to are for F30 3 series saloon - I'm guessing the car instructions & contents included are different between the two?

Do you have a link to F32 instructions wherever you got the F30 ones from?

TIA
Jay
I got mine on Ebay from Selma. Came w/ their own blind rivets (although I like the BMW rivets better, might change at least half of them), the screws, and the black M-Performance decals which I already have. If I had known that, I wouldn't have ordered the car with them. On the back side of the blades were 17 dimples indicating were to drill thru, and there was also a narrow side to them that ran only about 3/4 of the length and on that part there was small indents indicating where the screws would go in. No instructions were included. I can't speak as to if there is or what are the difference between the parts for a F32. I did notice though that on the back of the rocker panel itself, it did say F30/F31. In the DIY forum there's a sticky and I used the instructions there: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793020
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Ah OK, mine are OEM BMW from BMWPartsPros. They do say F32/F33 specifically on back.

Must be different from F30 cars as I don't have the 11 holes predrilled for screws - I only have the 15 predrilled holes for the rivets.

Just got worried they left out some screws from my shipment, but I guess the F32 uses only the rivets.

I'll just follow same instructions skipping the 11 screw part
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah OK, mine are OEM BMW from BMWPartsPros. They do say F32/F33 specifically on back.

Must be different from F30 cars as I don't have the 11 holes predrilled for screws - I only have the 15 predrilled holes for the rivets.

Just got worried they left out some screws from my shipment, but I guess the F32 uses only the rivets.

I'll just follow same instructions skipping the 11 screw part
Wow, that's really interesting. Try to take pics as you go along so we can see where they differ.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
OK, I got the OEM Side Splitters installed

Sorry, couldn't take many pics as I went along - it was only me & you can't just stop with the thing partially adhered and hanging loose as they are rather unwieldy

You definitely do NOT need to remove your entire side skirt to install these - that's simply 10x more work than is necessary

Was actually very EZ - hardest part was thoroughly cleaning all the crap off the bottom of the side skirts...
  • 1st I cleaned with Turtle Wax Bug n Tar Remover
  • 2nd cleaned with alcohol
  • Put the car up on Rhino ramps 1 side at a time
  • Pulled off the 3M tape protector film along back edge & front edge - left the center film installed but BMW kindly leaves the ends xtra long so you can grab once blades are temporarily stuck up
  • Aligned rear edge with car, locked the rear groove of blades on to skirt & pressed up to adhere tape (other end of blade was held up off ground close to car with box)
  • Started pulling the protective film and pushing up firmly to attach to skirt as I went along length of skirt - making sure the rear edge of the blade locked into place as I went along
  • Once fully adhered to car, I went along with 1/4" drill & drilled out the (15) holes thru the pre-drilled holes in blade
  • Seated all the Rivets
  • Then went along and screwed/pushed the center part of rivet home to tighten

These thing are on solid & won't be coming off anytime soon

Difference between my OEM F32 blades & yours is that instead of using those xtra (11) screws - BMW has a special angled locking edge all along rear of blades that engages with side skirt edge. Once locked it cannot be removed unless you would angle the blades down toward ground.

I had mine painted Gloss Black/clear by my usual paint shop to match my grilles & window trim instead of leaving that bare matte black plastic - also matches well with my CF front spoiler. It was a toss up between body color & black - glad I chose the black

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 05-30-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, I got the OEM Side Splitters installed

Sorry, couldn't take many pics as I went along - it was only me & you can't just stop with the thing partially adhered and hanging loose as they are rather unwieldy

You definitely do NOT need to remove your entire side skirt to install these - that's simply 10x more work than is necessary

Was actually very EZ - hardest part was thoroughly cleaning all the crap off the bottom of the side skirts...
  • 1st I cleaned with Turtle Wax Bug n Tar Remover
  • 2nd cleaned with alcohol
  • Put the car up on Rhino ramps 1 side at a time
  • Pulled off the 3M tape protector film along back edge & front edge - left the center film installed but BMW kindly leaves the ends xtra long so you can grab once blades are temporarily stuck up
  • Aligned rear edge with car, locked the rear groove of blades on to skirt & pressed up to adhere tape (other end of blade was held up off ground close to car with box)
  • Started pulling the protective film and pushing up firmly to attach to skirt as I went along length of skirt - making sure the rear edge of the blade locked into place as I went along
  • Once fully adhered to car, I went along with 1/4" drill & drilled out the (15) holes thru the pre-drilled holes in blade
  • Seated all the Rivets
  • Then went along and screwed/pushed the center part of rivet home to tighten

These thing are on solid & won't be coming off anytime soon

Difference between my OEM F32 blades & yours is that instead of using those xtra (11) screws - BMW has a special angled locking edge all along rear of blades that engages with side skirt edge. Once locked it cannot be removed unless you would angle the blades down toward ground.

I had mine painted Gloss Black/clear by my usual paint shop to match my grilles & window trim instead of leaving that bare matte black plastic - also matches well with my CF front spoiler. It was a toss up between body color & black - glad I chose the black
The instructions do not show taking off the rocker panels so no it is not necessary. But it certainly is not 10x more work. A couple of plastic screws and it just pulls off. I would guess it takes the same amount of time as you are now able to work on them on any surface at a comfortable height vs laying on the ground under the car. I used ramps like you did when putting on the rear diffuser but now that I also have the front splitter on, ramps are out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #13
DanielD BMW 420I
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420I F32 MSPORT

I know this thread is old now but does anyone know how to remove the side skirt of a F32 4 Series ? I want to install my carbon blades but it looks very difficult to do under the car haha.

Any help is appreciated please thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielD BMW 420I View Post
I know this thread is old now but does anyone know how to remove the side skirt of a F32 4 Series ? I want to install my carbon blades but it looks very difficult to do under the car haha.

Any help is appreciated please thanks
it's actually easier to do ON the car, just jack up your car mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #15
DanielD BMW 420I
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420I F32 MSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
it's actually easier to do ON the car, just jack up your car mate.
The one i got dont come with 3m tape attached like factory ones, They do have a locking thing but it dont seem to fit correctly we i mocked it up under the car.

This is why i thought it would be easy to remove the side skirt and fit the blade then ?
Appreciate 0