F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > low rpm stutter , jerkiness NEED HELP!
Studio RSR

05-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
vladpopescu7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Question low rpm stutter , jerkiness NEED HELP!

Hello guys, recently I have been looking all over the forums to try and solve my problem. My engine is N20 with 8HP45Z AT.

4 months ago i noticed that my car is feeling kinda jerky when i first start it in the morning especially when changing gears from 1st-2nd and also when braking and it downshifts it felt like it hangs in gear for too long and a jolt follows. I took the car to a specialized shop to do a full transmission rebuild and they changed the solenoids, fluid , sleeves etc. and the shifting quality didn't improved too much , the guys at the AT garage insisting that my problem it's from the engine. Related to engine i had a intermitent error on VANOS 130308 exhaust vanos position not reached , and also i did notice that after this error popped up the car ran like crap(jerkiness ) for a couple of days and then all of a sudden super smooth for a couple of days and then again started to be jerky.
I changed the plugs , coils , injectors , vanos solenoids(the vanos valves where changed 7 months ago when i changed the timing ) but it didn't made any difference. The error kept popping up but with other title "130308 VANOS, outlet:control error, position not reached ".
As i started to read more on forums about similar problems i discovered that my car kept popping that error when i was driving in the low rpm range <2000rpm and below this rpm threshold it stutters and jerks (if i give it gas it runs perfect ). To be mentioned that i also hear a small whistle from the turbo ,i assume .

And the last thing that confuses me is that sometimes the car runs super smooth and resposive and then all of a sudden it starts to jolt on downshifts and stutter etc. I Also have a muffler delete and when the car runs smooth the exhaust has a different tone than when the car is not running well.

Please help!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I hated my 2013 320i. It's like putting a piece of garbage fragile as hell engine inside the shell of a sportscar. I blew mine after about 20k miles of driving, hadn't hit 50k yet... a friend of mine blew the engine on his m3 but he drove the ever living crap out of that thing and had it tuned to the max. Anyway, mine was rough idling before it crapped out and I took it to a few places and they said it was normal for my car to idle that way.

All I can say is good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #3
vladpopescu7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I hated my 2013 320i. It's like putting a piece of garbage fragile as hell engine inside the shell of a sportscar. I blew mine after about 20k miles of driving, hadn't hit 50k yet... a friend of mine blew the engine on his m3 but he drove the ever living crap out of that thing and had it tuned to the max. Anyway, mine was rough idling before it crapped out and I took it to a few places and they said it was normal for my car to idle that way.

All I can say is good luck.
im super confused right now and im taking the car back to the garage where i changed the timing because i think that it has to do with the timing !
Appreciate 0