F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 vs F10. Which would you choose?
GetBMWParts

04-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
F30 vs F10. Which would you choose?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
If you had to choose between F30 & F10 with the following options with the quoted price, which would you choose (or have chosen):

Jet Black 528i ($48,894.00)

Mineral Grey 328i ($49,820.00)

Assuming you could negotiate the same discount off both vehicles, which would be a 'better buy'? I was just a bit taken by surprise when I actually saw an F10 (528i) being priced below an F30 (328i), but then again, the 328i is pretty much loaded besides the Harman Kardon (Premium Sound) Package. And if I'm not mistaken, most Bimmer enthusiasts believe that the N20 engine is more suitable for the F30 than the F10. Anyways, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I will be posting this on both the F30 & F10 threads for a more non-biased opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

that's a complete rip off for the f30.... but i would take it over the f10 i think once 2013 MY rolls out, pricing / package structure will make more sense
      04-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
that's a complete rip off for the f30.... but i would take it over the f10 i think once 2013 MY rolls out, pricing / package structure will make more sense
LOL! That is why I mentioned that these prices were before our 'haggling' abilities would be put into action. So I gotta ask, why would you choose the F30 over the F10? Driving experience, 'tech toys', size of the vehicle running the N20 engine, etc? Have to mention that I'm not trying to start a 'flame war' or being 'devil's advocate' on debating the F30 vs F10, just wanted to see what Bimmer enthusiasts really look for in their vehicles!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I'm considering the same thing. Get a optioned f30 or a base F10? My only concern is that the 528i just "looks" like a car that should have a 6 cylinder. I know they're both probably about equal in speed, but I might feel embarrassed pulling up to somebody's driveway and my engine is making the sound of a 4 banger. It just might sound out of place for such a large car, IMO.

But I too am on the fence and I'd like to hear other opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
eddiesteel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09' E60 535i

I think since you are looking at the 328 vs 528 the 328 would be the better buy as the engine seems to fit perfectly with the 3 series and the 528 is a heavier larger car. The overall performance would outweigh the space for me. The only other thing the 528 would have would be the prestige of driving a more expensive car (to non BMW people) but that would be negated by the bmw peeps knowing you are driving a 4 banger and lower performing 528 (rather than the 535).

If we were talking 335 vs 535 it would be much closer and for me would be the 535 because I could use the space over the extra sportiness of the 335 and the 535 engine seems to be the perfect fit for the 5 series body.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Based on building with same options on bmwconfig.com,
  • 528i is base model with Premium, Nav, & Sat radio
    • 52,295 MSRP
    • 43,340 Invoice
    • 48,900 is ~$550 over invoice
  • 328i is Lux line + Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Xenons, Alarm, Sat radio, metallic paint
    • 47,595 MSRP
    • 43,955 Invoice
    • 49,800 is ~$5,850 over invoice <- huge difference

I was very close to getting an F10 a year ago but decided to wait and see what the F30 brought and now have a 335i on order. F10 is a very different car - more luxury, much less sport.

I personally would not consider either of these, must have Sport and, for me wants, F30 is the better choice and much less $.
  • Sport Package on F10 is $3600 vs. $2500/$1700 on 328/335 for Sport Line
  • F30 Nav includes HUD, which is a $1300 adder on F10
  • Lease residual on F10 is 56% vs. 62% on F30
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I'm considering the same thing. Get a optioned f30 or a base F10? My only concern is that the 528i just "looks" like a car that should have a 6 cylinder. I know they're both probably about equal in speed, but I might feel embarrassed pulling up to somebody's driveway and my engine is making the sound of a 4 banger. It just might sound out of place for such a large car, IMO.

But I too am on the fence and I'd like to hear other opinions.
Lol! I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to pulling up into the driveway and having the N20 powering your F10 Bimmer because the people watching you drive up will be mesmerized with the BMW roundel. But seriously, what are you needs for the car....Do you want more space, what type of interior do you prefer, are you into having the latest tech gadgets, is this a DD, etc? It all comes down to what you want out of your car and how to maximize your hard earned cash.

I don't think you can go wrong with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiesteel View Post
I think since you are looking at the 328 vs 528 the 328 would be the better buy as the engine seems to fit perfectly with the 3 series and the 528 is a heavier larger car. The overall performance would outweigh the space for me. The only other thing the 528 would have would be the prestige of driving a more expensive car (to non BMW people) but that would be negated by the bmw peeps knowing you are driving a 4 banger and lower performing 528 (rather than the 535).

If we were talking 335 vs 535 it would be much closer and for me would be the 535 because I could use the space over the extra sportiness of the 335 and the 535 engine seems to be the perfect fit for the 5 series body.
I have to agree with you regarding the N20 engine. I do believe it is a better fit to the F30, which offered to me that "Ultimate Driving Experience" as a first time Bimmer owner. I can't believe how much power the N20 can output. I swear I find myself being saved by the HUD because in no time on the short amount of highway I have drive when running errands, I can hit 90mph without blinking. It is an amazing feeling. That is why I always regret not doing an ED because having the chance to hit 140mph must be totally exhilirating!

And yes, of course the general public would perceive that the 528i by default was better than the 328i simply because of the number '5' above....But then again, maximizing one's hard earned cash & knowing what one needs in a vehicle to keep him (or her) happy is the key to having the "Ultimate Driving Experience"!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Based on building with same options on bmwconfig.com,
  • 528i is base model with Premium, Nav, & Sat radio
    • 52,295 MSRP
    • 43,340 Invoice
    • 48,900 is ~$550 over invoice
  • 328i is Lux line + Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Xenons, Alarm, Sat radio, metallic paint
    • 47,595 MSRP
    • 43,955 Invoice
    • 49,800 is ~$5,850 over invoice <- huge difference

I was very close to getting an F10 a year ago but decided to wait and see what the F30 brought and now have a 335i on order. F10 is a very different car - more luxury, much less sport.

I personally would not consider either of these, must have Sport and, for me wants, F30 is the better choice and much less $.
  • Sport Package on F10 is $3600 vs. $2500/$1700 on 328/335 for Sport Line
  • F30 Nav includes HUD, which is a $1300 adder on F10
  • Lease residual on F10 is 56% vs. 62% on F30
You better make sure you share pics with us my friend when your F30 arrives Thanks for supplying this, it should help out our friend above (Joey O) on his choice between the F30 and F10! Advanced congrats on becoming an F30 member in the near future!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
You better make sure you share pics with us my friend when your F30 arrives Thanks for supplying this, it should help out our friend above (Joey O) on his choice between the F30 and F10! Advanced congrats on becoming an F30 member in the near future!
No worries there... Pickup in Munich on 11-May.
  • 335i Sport Line w/6MT, Imperial Blue, Everest Gray leather
  • Adaptive Sport suspension
  • Premium Package
  • Tech Package
  • Parking Package
  • BMW Assist & Apps

Premium is a no-brainer on 335i since it adds leather. I do not *need* Tech or Parking packages or Assist/Apps but decided to get some toys for once.
BTW, I will have my eyes on an F80 M3 in 3 years.
Oh, at ED invoice + $700 my build is less than either of the 2 configs posted by OP (just over $47K) and I get the BMW I6.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Funny enough I actually had a similar choice when on the day that I went for a test drive in the F30 328i and ordered one xD

We just had our test done and I we were in the process of ordering a car. The only thing we were undecided on was the color. Luckily our CA had a F10 535i with the same exterior and similar interior colors available for us as we were thinking about, so we could see how it looked like.

The 535i had a lot less options than we were contemplating for the 328i and was only 1000 bucks more expensive than the 328i. At that time I actually joked "hey sweetie, we can also get this 5 series and just take it home now", thinking back to it, we actually could have lol.

We didn't and sticked with our fully optioned 328i. Why? Not because we 'need' all those options.. we don't need them at all. Sure, it's fun, but there is no need and under normal circumstances I would never have taken them all. Nah, at that point in time we actually had plans to move to Europe. In Europe we would have had significantly less income available than we have now so we didn't want to take a less fuel efficient and heavier car (road taxes based on weight) and that is why we sticked with the 328i, and besides, it's actually considered a pretty big car over there. We ordered it with all options, again not because we needed the options, no, we did this for the resale value in 3-4 years. The cost for a 3-4 year old Bimmer over there is about the same (if you do a conversion from Euros to USD) as what you buy it for new over here.. if we would go back to the US after selling it there, we almost drove one for free all those years

Now, a few weeks after we ordered the F30, we actually started to think differently and think more and more that it would be better to stay here in Hawaii for now. We have income security here and, obviously, much better weather lol and over there (and in specific my home country the Netherlands) things are not going so nicely right now. There's a lot of stuff going on in the economy and it could be a terrible choice to actually move there now so, in the end, we decided to stay here and buy another house.

Back then, my choice was very obvious and well thought to take the 328i. However, if you put me for the same choice right now, then I would not be so sure what I would choose. Gas is a lot less costly here and the weight thing isn't so bad either. Many options that I get on my 328i are a bit over the top (like seriously, cold weather package in Hawaii? LOL! At least we're going to move uphill so at least it's cooler down there), again, I don't need all of them. And when it comes to the 5 series, I like the size actually. I got accustomed to my X5 and I will miss it dearly. The 3 series is not small but it is still smaller than my X5. Actually, if I knew ahead that we would stay here, I wouldn't even go for the 535i but I would, most likely, have gone for the GT, but that just aside.

Oh well, I am happy with my choice for the F30, though. I love how it looks and feels, and I am not entirely sure about the (exterior) looks of the F10. Maybe, instead, I would have skipped some options and have gone for the 335i, maybe not, maybe I would have taken the 535i or a GT? I don't know. It's not an easy choice to make.

However, when I get back to the original question. The 328i or the 528i? Then I would indeed go with what some other people also said before, the 328i would probably win because that has an engine that is made for it.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Drive it.. Feel it.. then decide We will have both the f10 and f30.. i can tell you straight away that alot of guys owning the f10 just in these forums alone are making a move to the F30 mainly because they love the way it drives... if we had kids then definitely the f10 but because it's just me and the mrs so we'll probably sell the f10 when our f30 m sport arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

F10 is a more grown up car and design. The F30 is more dynamic, smaller and has interesting design details. However if both priced the same you get more for your money with the F10 and will be more comfortable. If don't need the space and live near winding roads, F30 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
However if both priced the same you get more for your money with the F10 and will be more comfortable. If don't need the space and live near winding roads, F30 all the way.
What do you mean by getting 'more for your money' with the F10 when it is a 'bare-bones' configuration and that the 528i's engine is the N20 which many people believe is more appropriate for the F30 size and body weight. Not to mention, the 328i is, for the most part, fully-loaded. As mentioned, this is a comparison between the configured 528i and 328i at the beginning of the post. In this particular situation, this F30 would suit the needs of a buyer who wanted a pretty much fully loaded car, desired a more sporty car, wanted better fuel efficiency, and in all actuality wanted to maximize their hard earned cash, not simply living near windy roads. lol!
But seriously, it really does come down to one's driving habits and needs out of their vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Funny enough I actually had a similar choice when on the day that I went for a test drive in the F30 328i and ordered one xD

We just had our test done and I we were in the process of ordering a car. The only thing we were undecided on was the color. Luckily our CA had a F10 535i with the same exterior and similar interior colors available for us as we were thinking about, so we could see how it looked like.

The 535i had a lot less options than we were contemplating for the 328i and was only 1000 bucks more expensive than the 328i. At that time I actually joked "hey sweetie, we can also get this 5 series and just take it home now", thinking back to it, we actually could have lol.

We didn't and sticked with our fully optioned 328i. Why? Not because we 'need' all those options.. we don't need them at all. Sure, it's fun, but there is no need and under normal circumstances I would never have taken them all. Nah, at that point in time we actually had plans to move to Europe. In Europe we would have had significantly less income available than we have now so we didn't want to take a less fuel efficient and heavier car (road taxes based on weight) and that is why we sticked with the 328i, and besides, it's actually considered a pretty big car over there. We ordered it with all options, again not because we needed the options, no, we did this for the resale value in 3-4 years. The cost for a 3-4 year old Bimmer over there is about the same (if you do a conversion from Euros to USD) as what you buy it for new over here.. if we would go back to the US after selling it there, we almost drove one for free all those years

Now, a few weeks after we ordered the F30, we actually started to think differently and think more and more that it would be better to stay here in Hawaii for now. We have income security here and, obviously, much better weather lol and over there (and in specific my home country the Netherlands) things are not going so nicely right now. There's a lot of stuff going on in the economy and it could be a terrible choice to actually move there now so, in the end, we decided to stay here and buy another house.

Back then, my choice was very obvious and well thought to take the 328i. However, if you put me for the same choice right now, then I would not be so sure what I would choose. Gas is a lot less costly here and the weight thing isn't so bad either. Many options that I get on my 328i are a bit over the top (like seriously, cold weather package in Hawaii? LOL! At least we're going to move uphill so at least it's cooler down there), again, I don't need all of them. And when it comes to the 5 series, I like the size actually. I got accustomed to my X5 and I will miss it dearly. The 3 series is not small but it is still smaller than my X5. Actually, if I knew ahead that we would stay here, I wouldn't even go for the 535i but I would, most likely, have gone for the GT, but that just aside.

Oh well, I am happy with my choice for the F30, though. I love how it looks and feels, and I am not entirely sure about the (exterior) looks of the F10. Maybe, instead, I would have skipped some options and have gone for the 335i, maybe not, maybe I would have taken the 535i or a GT? I don't know. It's not an easy choice to make.

However, when I get back to the original question. The 328i or the 528i? Then I would indeed go with what some other people also said before, the 328i would probably win because that has an engine that is made for it.
Thanks for sharing this my friend!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I came from a F10 535i 8AT sport. There was maybe only one thing I 'd miss and that's the dashboard feel of the F10, when I collected my F30 one month ago, but that's gone already.

I love the F10's shape and comfort though. Great car for long distances but not exactly BMWish when driving through bends.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
If you had to choose between F30 & F10 with the following options with the quoted price, which would you choose (or have chosen):

Jet Black 528i ($48,894.00)

Mineral Grey 328i ($49,820.00)

Assuming you could negotiate the same discount off both vehicles, which would be a 'better buy'? I was just a bit taken by surprise when I actually saw an F10 (528i) being priced below an F30 (328i), but then again, the 328i is pretty much loaded besides the Harman Kardon (Premium Sound) Package. And if I'm not mistaken, most Bimmer enthusiasts believe that the N20 engine is more suitable for the F30 than the F10. Anyways, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. I will be posting this on both the F30 & F10 threads for a more non-biased opinion.
We've spent about 2 weeks considering both vehicles but went with 335 and couldn't be more happier with our decision. F10 is gorgeous looking vehicle but there are so many of them on the road. Eventually our decision based on the engine type and after test driving 335 we just couldn't go back to 528 and didn't want to pay mid 60Ks for 535 with less options than our 335.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I was thinking about getting a F10 550i. But, after comparing it to an E60 550i, it seems like the F10 has grown way too big. OTOH, when I checked out the F30, it felt just the right size. The F30 IMO, is very roomy in the rear seats. It definitely feels like one class size larger than the E90. In fact, the F30 rear seats felt just as roomy as the E60 rear seats. Good enough for me and my family.

So, I would go with the F30 for good enough space + much better handling and better acceleration.
Appreciate 0