F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Interesting Stop/Start E-Mail from BMWNA
Studio RSR

03-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Interesting Stop/Start E-Mail from BMWNA

We received an interesting e-mail from BMW of North America educating us about the Start/Stop feature on our new 328i. It makes me wonder if BMW has received customer feedback that the feature is annoying, confusing or otherwise not well received. Full text below.

Anyone know more about this?

-----

Subject: BMW's Auto Start/Stop functionality

FINALLY, AN ENGINE SCHOOLED IN EFFICIENCY

Dear ______,

Your vehicle's engine is equipped with Auto Start/Stop, the latest technology in BMW’s ongoing effort to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. This feature can save you money at the pump by automatically turning your engine off when it's not needed and auto-starting it when it is. This means your BMW won’t unnecessarily waste fuel when you’re at a red light or in a traffic jam. The system is intelligent, only activating when the outside temperature is above 38°F, the battery is sufficiently charged and the engine is operating at a normal temperature.

Have more questions? Reach out to CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com or consult your online owner’s manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I'm a bit confused. How come you got that email?

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

As previous BMW owners, we were already registered with BMW's online customer portal. So when we bought the new F30, it automatically showed up in our online account a few days after purchase (I believe the dealer provides that info to BMWNA).

So that would explain why we would receive an e-mail about from BMW about the F30 -- they know we have a new car with Stop/Start -- but it doesn't explain why BMW sent the e-mail.

Anyone else receive it?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
As previous BMW owners, we were already registered with BMW's online customer portal. So when we bought the new F30, it automatically showed up in our online account a few days after purchase (I believe the dealer provides that info to BMWNA).

So that would explain why we would receive an e-mail about from BMW about the F30 -- they know we have a new car with Stop/Start -- but it doesn't explain why BMW sent the e-mail.

Anyone else receive it?
Hmm... it could be the reason but at the same time I'm not so sure. Thing is, this will be our third BMW and we are also registered online since our first BMW :S

The email seems to me as if you asked them a question, which is why I was wondering but apparently you didn't. Kind of odd they send you that I think

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
The email seems to me as if you asked them a question, which is why I was wondering but apparently you didn't. Kind of odd they send you that I think
Right, we didn't ask/e-mail them anything, hence my surprise and this thread wondering out loud about the background. I only posted the text of the e-mail, but it was a fully formatted communication with BMW branding, HTML & images. It seems like some kind of education campaign or something along those lines.

I just noted from your sig that your F30 is on order -- maybe they'll send you something once you receive the car. We've had ours for 3 weeks and the mail came through today.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I have occasional use of an E82 118d MT and the Auto Stop/Start has never caused any issues. In fact, it hardly ever kicks in, presumably because one of the many pre-conditions (engine temp etc) is not being met. So I was somewhat sceptical of the suggestions that this technology was going to cause a raft of issues.

However, there have been a fair few F30 owners on this forum who have complained of problems with it (notably stalling) and this email only adds to the suspicion that 'something's up'!

I'll keep an open mind until I've had a chance to try it in my car but I am beginning to wonder if there is a genuine problem here.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right, we didn't ask/e-mail them anything, hence my surprise and this thread wondering out loud about the background. I only posted the text of the e-mail, but it was a fully formatted communication with BMW branding, HTML & images. It seems like some kind of education campaign or something along those lines.

I just noted from your sig that your F30 is on order -- maybe they'll send you something once you receive the car. We've had ours for 3 weeks and the mail came through today.
Hmm maybe that's indeed why I haven't seen anything, I did not finalize the sale of course (will actually do that tomorrow lol.. I wont see the car just yet but I agreed to do this so I can keep my leased X5 for the time being without any extra cost and having them reimburse my registration costs).

It's kind of odd yeah that they send you that, perhaps it's meant as advertising but a bit in a different way as they normally would do

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
john4.4x5
E46 ~ E53 ~ E90 ~ E92 ~ F30.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan EB II/Red

Fake!
ZPP, 7-SPD DCT, 19" 225M, Sirius, H/K, DCT, iPod, NAV. TiAg, Black int.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4.4x5 View Post
Fake!
Really? If it makes you feel better to believe I made this up, you do what what you have to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I got one too.

Dear JUSTIN,

Your vehicle's engine is equipped with Auto Start/Stop, the latest technology in BMW’s ongoing effort to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. This feature can save you money at the pump by automatically turning your engine off when it's not needed and auto-starting it when it is. This means your BMW won’t unnecessarily waste fuel when you’re at a red light or in a traffic jam. The system is intelligent, only activating when the outside temperature is above 38°F, the battery is sufficiently charged and the engine is operating at a normal temperature.

Have more questions? Reach out to CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com or consult your online owner’s manual.

from BMW of North America bmwusa@emails.bmwusa.com
      03-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I got one too.
So I guess we can officially call this a conspiracy now...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

they have sent me some other bull shit too lol
      03-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Are you able to disable this? I hope so. If not maybe juicebox or vishnu can work something out. Going to be terrible when you have aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Are you able to disable this? I hope so. If not maybe juicebox or vishnu can work something out. Going to be terrible when you have aftermarket exhaust.
Only by pressing the 'off' button each time you get in the car. I don't think anyone has come up with a sure-fire way to turn it off permanently: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ght=Auto+start
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
This feature can save you money at the pump by automatically turning your engine off when it's not needed and auto-starting it when it is.
Has anyone tried to assess their actual savings at the pump with this feature?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

An interesting email... funny they'd send that out after you purchased the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
An interesting email... funny they'd send that out after you purchased the car.
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
richb811
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Huh?
From a marketing standpoint it is ionteresting to me that they felt the need to educate post purchase via email.

Thats all
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Um.... there were a bunch of posts in this thread involving people moaning about stop-start and me responding to them that seem to have disappeared.

What's happened to them?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
From a marketing standpoint it is ionteresting to me that they felt the need to educate post purchase via email.

Thats all
Agreed -- that's why I started the thread. It's not to bitch about Stop/Start but rather to suggest BMW feels the need to educate new customer for some reason. Having worked in communications, I can say for certain that BMW wouldn't send a mail like this to new owners without any background or goal.

My hypothesis is that the average new F30 owner (i.e. people not on these forums) are confused as to when the engine stops and when it doesn't. RTFM, I know, but let's be realistic -- the average buyer doesn't do that either, so I'm betting BMW sent this communication to educate people about their new F30s so they don't think the car is misbehaving. It appears they also took the opportunity to promote the efficiency of the feature so the average buyer has an incentive not to disable it every time they get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
richb811
Rep

Quote:
Agreed -- that's why I started the thread. It's not to bitch about Stop/Start but rather to suggest BMW feels the need to educate new customer for some reason. Having worked in communications, I can say for certain that BMW wouldn't send a mail like this to new owners without any background or goal.

My hypothesis is that the average new F30 owner (i.e. people not on these forums) are confused as to when the engine stops and when it doesn't. RTFM, I know, but let's be realistic -- the average buyer doesn't do that either, so I'm betting BMW sent this communication to educate people about their new F30s so they don't think the car is misbehaving. It appears they also took the opportunity to promote the efficiency of the feature so the average buyer has an incentive not to disable it every time they get in the car.
Yep. I know a LOT of people who buy a car and don't know how 95% of the features work within the car, so it does make sense. They must have had a number of confused buyers in the US and Canada to think about putting out the email though.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I guess we can officially call this a conspiracy now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Um.... there were a bunch of posts in this thread involving people moaning about stop-start and me responding to them that seem to have disappeared.

What's happened to them?!?
They got used to it

Appreciate 0