F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > McKenna BMW? Full of scams?
ARMA SPEED

07-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

McKenna BMW? Full of scams?

Hello everyone, I finally decided to post this thread to give local prospective BMW buyers some pointers so they will not have similar experience that i had with McKenna

This goes back to 3yrs ago when i leased my first BMW, i got my 328i from McKenna and i didnt have any knowledge in leasing or dealing with a dealership...a long story short, after a year of leasing this vehicle, i went over the lease contract and found out that i was charged for Marked up money factor as well as Acquisition fee... That made me felt horrible as i remember being sales person being all polite and caring but she was actually ripping me off behind my back.... I blamed myself so much for trusting this dealership and time has passed 3yrs

It was the time for lease return that i got from McKenna, the sales person i dealt with KEVIN HITE remember this name you will save money and time!!!!
My friend wanted to buy the car out from me so i contacted Kevin Hite to negotiate the buy out price and we came to an agreement At this time, i asked him if i will be charged for disposition fee and he said i will not be charged since i am selling the car instead of returning and i asked this several times to make sure and he replied with same answer
Long story short, i got a bill for disposition fee from bmwfs so i contacted Kevin and he started to make up some excuses for the words he said and he will call me back soon after talking somone from BMWFS since then i have never got a call from him and it has been 5days now I wrote numerous emails and voice messages, he barely emailed me back yesterday he said he will call me by the end of day and never did.............

I am just speechless of how this dealership deals with customers

Kevin Hite also played cool, polite and nice But once he made a business he became completely different person and did not even bother to try to solve the problem...

I am just speechless ans feel horrible like i am conned by them again

Apparently there are a lot of people from bimmerpost who had similar experiences

There are so many dealerships in southern california Please save yourself time and money
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
zyncopado
Musician/Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Mineral Grey

Thanks for the heads up! My friend got hammered by McKenna BMW. She's currently leasing a 2015 Luxury Line 328i pre-owned vehicle for $850/month!

I asked why the steep monthly and she said that her CA told her there was a $5000 negative equity on her trade in!

I told her she got schtooped! Then again... in spite of her ignorance, McKenna BMW shouldn't have taken advantaged of her.
      07-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyncopado
Thanks for the heads up! My friend got hammered by McKenna BMW. She's currently leasing a 2015 Luxury Line 328i pre-owned vehicle for $850/month!

I asked why the steep monthly and she said that her CA told her there was a $5000 negative equity on her trade in!

I told her she got schtooped! Then again... in spite of her ignorance, McKenna BMW shouldn't have taken advantages of her.
Omg $850 for 328i thats close to my M4 payment of $880 with $0 down
another victim of McKenna
Just imagine their con artist mind hidden by their fake face when your friend was there to get that car Thats disgusting

I hope there wont be any future victim by reading this thread
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

This makes me laugh, not feel sorry for you. This is the 21st century and have this tool called the internet. I may sound like an ass hat, but I don't feel sorry for or anyone that get's ripped off by a dealer, specifically when purchasing a car. You need to educate your self prior to leasing/purchase so that when they are trying to rip you off you catch it.

There will always be victims, they just don't know they are, that's how dealers survive.

What's funny is you felt fine when you purchased the car, but then all of a sudden after reviewing your contract you feel bad. A good deal is perception. Don't feel bad. Next time don't go back or if you do, be educated on the matter and steal your next car at lease.

Also, the sales person or has little control over what BMW FS does. You personally need to call them and ask questions why they took your money.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Really? So you are justifying dealers willingness to rip people off from uneducated people?

There are many dealership who would not be doing this as its more common in Mckenna

I hear tons of stories related to Mckenna on M3/M4 as well as 5 series forum

But you are correct on getting educated
They made me become an expert

I see your point but it seems like you are more of heartless person ( no offense)

I did asked Kevin Hit more than 3 times since this was not returning the vehicle and selling it to my friend I wanted to make sure that i will not be charged and i did... So you are saying its ok for sales person to change his attitude and say be careless is ok? It seems like you have high tolerance level when you are mistreated but i dont think i deserved this treat for being lied to Completely avoiding, not keeping the words

I even asked Kevin this
"Do you think its fair for me to pay this fee although i was told by you numerous times that i will not be, if you think its fair then ill pay and will not make a deal out of it."

He said "i will talk to someone and call you right back."

Never ever got a call from him ever again and still havent

Anyway i want whoever reads this thread to have his or her own perception and i respect them!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
I agree with labeef here. Dealers are also known as stealers. They read people as they walk into their dealerships and once they start talking, they pretty much know what kind of deal they can make. if you have no idea how to buy/negotiate a car, please take someone who knows with you. Your experience would have been the same with any other dealership due to lack of knowledge and expertise in purchasing or leasing a car and not specific to that dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian
I agree with labeef here. Dealers are also known as stealers. They read people as they walk into their dealerships and once they start talking, they pretty much know what kind of deal they can make. if you have know idea how to buy/negotiate a car, please take someone who knows with you. Your experience would have been the same with any other dealership due to lack of knowledge and expertise in purchasing or leading a car and not specific to that dealership.
I agree with you on the part that the consumers need to be educated but i must disagree with you that it would have been the same case visiting other dealership I have been to many other dealership talking about numbers without talking so much, yet i found no dealership trying to charge me marked up MF and acquisition fee
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post
I agree with you on the part that the consumers need to be educated but i must disagree with you that it would have been the same case visiting other dealership I have been to many other dealership talking about numbers without talking so much, yet i found no dealership trying to charge me marked up MF and acquisition fee
I'm sorry, I must have misread your original post which clearly said you had no knowledge of purchasing or leasing a car in a "dealership"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian
Quote:
I'm sorry, I must have misread your original post which clearly said you had no knowledge of purchasing or leasing a car in a "dealership"
That was my first bmw and since then
I leased
1 x 335i(pacific bmw)
1x228i( riverside bmw for my sister)
1x 328i( nick alexander)
1xM4 ( long beach bmw)

Obviously i paid close attention to money factor and acquisition fee they put in the computer when we talk about numbers, no dealers tried to charge me marked up MF and fee
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

I have a serious question that can hopefully be answered with logic and reasoning.

Why is the auto industry the ONLY retail establishment NOT allowed to make a profit? And when they do, they are "ripping you off" of called stealerships?! Yet, they are the most transparent of all goods and services.

Everyone is fine with the 200% markup a furniture store charges. No one bats an eye when a real estate agent make $15000 when he sells you a $280000 house.

Do you think your bank isnt making money on your mortgage? When you go to the doctor, do you depand to pay only what it cost in supplies to be treated? When you go to Dillards to buy a Raulph lauren oxford, do you tell them that even though the tag says $79 you know it only cost RL $4 to make it so you will only pay $5? When you go to the grocery store and ring up $150 in groceries, do you tell the cashier the Grocery Blue Book says market value is only $110 so thats what you will pay?

I know that is all a little extreme....but is it really? I could go on and on with comparisons. So why is the dealer the stealer and no other establishment is. Why are they(we) so vilified? Dealers do business the way they do because society forces it. Its not the dealers fault that you have negative equity. And you have every tool at your disposal to already know that, so it shouldnt be a surprise. i am not saying there arent some bad dealers out there. Of course they mark up the MF/apr/any other fee. They are in business to make money. You same people that want to buy for invoice and buy rate will go pay $2 for a coke at a restaurant that cost them $0.10 or $14 for a glass of wine from a $12 bottle. But the car dealer is evil. And how dare he be nice and helpful while making a paycheck!
Appreciate 3
      07-28-2015, 01:50 AM   #11
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
This goes back to 3yrs ago when i leased my first BMW, i got my 328i from McKenna and i didnt have any knowledge in leasing or dealing with a dealership
If you had no knowledge, why the hell did you not go check something called the internet?

Quote:
...a long story short
This is a long short story honestly

Quote:
, after a year of leasing this vehicle, i went over the lease contract and found out that i was charged for Marked up money factor as well as Acquisition fee... That made me felt horrible as i remember being sales person being all polite and caring but she was actually ripping me off behind my back.... I blamed myself so much for trusting this dealership and time has passed 3yrs
Of course sales people are going to be nice, that's their job is to make you feel good and to buy a car. They weren't ripping you off behind your back, they were making a hefty profit in front of your face!

Quote:
My friend wanted to buy the car out from me so i contacted Kevin Hite to negotiate the buy out price and we came to an agreement At this time, i asked him if i will be charged for disposition fee and he said i will not be charged since i am selling the car instead of returning and i asked this several times to make sure and he replied with same answer
If you read your contract, it would clearly state this. This is something you agreed to.

Quote:
Long story short
Heard this before

Quote:
i got a bill for disposition fee from bmwfs so i contacted Kevin and he started to make up some excuses for the words he said and he will call me back soon after talking somone from BMWFS since then i have never got a call from him and it has been 5days now I wrote numerous emails and voice messages, he barely emailed me back yesterday he said he will call me by the end of day and never did.............
Don't listen to a sales guy, read your contract or talk to a manager who can be held accountable, not some sales person.

Quote:
There are so many dealerships in southern california Please save yourself time and money
Maybe you should learn how a car lease works - or simply read your contract before you agree to it.

I'm not trying to be an enormous jerk, I'm trying to make you realize you're a grown up. Nobody is going to be holding your hand while you lease your first car if you expect to get the best possible deal. If you can't learn the basics of leasing a car on the internet before you go to a car dealer, maybe you shouldn't be leasing a car in the first place.

That said, nobody here knows the unbiased and full story - and we never will. This thread should just get locked IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/millen...ong-1720141330

Great timing for this article
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #13
Labeef
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Really? Because you don't really have much credibility after your first post. How do you know.....
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
Labeef
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I was just about to post this.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am reasonable person, maybe its the wording I have put into this thread..

I was called by his supervisor yesterday and was asked if I have any proof of him saying that i wont be charged..... Obviously i do not record my everyday conversation with everyone... kevin knows by his heart that he said it several times to me although i should now blame myself again for trusting the words spoken out of sales persons mouth rather than from my own research

In the end, I know consumers should be educated to avoid scams from the dealership but one thing i can tell you without any exaggeration is that.... I wasnt sure about the fee, and simply asked Kevin as it seemed very trustworthy guy..... And trusted his words

After all, the incident took place opposite from what I was told by Kevin and have never ever heard from him again to address this issue after he told me he will call me back since then i tried Voice msgs and emails.... No luck still
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
Labeef
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
I have a serious question that can hopefully be answered with logic and reasoning.

Why is the auto industry the ONLY retail establishment NOT allowed to make a profit? And when they do, they are "ripping you off" of called stealerships?! Yet, they are the most transparent of all goods and services.

Everyone is fine with the 200% markup a furniture store charges. No one bats an eye when a real estate agent make $15000 when he sells you a $280000 house.

Do you think your bank isnt making money on your mortgage? When you go to the doctor, do you depand to pay only what it cost in supplies to be treated? When you go to Dillards to buy a Raulph lauren oxford, do you tell them that even though the tag says $79 you know it only cost RL $4 to make it so you will only pay $5? When you go to the grocery store and ring up $150 in groceries, do you tell the cashier the Grocery Blue Book says market value is only $110 so thats what you will pay?

I know that is all a little extreme....but is it really? I could go on and on with comparisons. So why is the dealer the stealer and no other establishment is. Why are they(we) so vilified? Dealers do business the way they do because society forces it. Its not the dealers fault that you have negative equity. And you have every tool at your disposal to already know that, so it shouldnt be a surprise. i am not saying there arent some bad dealers out there. Of course they mark up the MF/apr/any other fee. They are in business to make money. You same people that want to buy for invoice and buy rate will go pay $2 for a coke at a restaurant that cost them $0.10 or $14 for a glass of wine from a $12 bottle. But the car dealer is evil. And how dare he be nice and helpful while making a paycheck!
I have to agree. People feel this way because you can put a face to the deal. In addition, a car deal is a direct representation of the buyers intelligence and skill of negotiation, so when they over pay they feel offended and used.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 01:33 AM   #17
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92
I am reasonable person, maybe its the wording I have put into this thread..

I was called by his supervisor yesterday and was asked if I have any proof of him saying that i wont be charged..... Obviously i do not record my everyday conversation with everyone... kevin knows by his heart that he said it several times to me although i should now blame myself again for trusting the words spoken out of sales persons mouth rather than from my own research

In the end, I know consumers should be educated to avoid scams from the dealership but one thing i can tell you without any exaggeration is that.... I wasnt sure about the fee, and simply asked Kevin as it seemed very trustworthy guy..... And trusted his words

After all, the incident took place opposite from what I was told by Kevin and have never ever heard from him again to address this issue after he told me he will call me back since then i tried Voice msgs and emails.... No luck still
Use email instead of the phone. Then there is no question. However, you're still the one at fault here. You walked in there without knowing what you were doing and couldn't read a contract you had signed
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #18
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok just to clarify, im not concerned about the deal that i had 3 yrs ago,, im upset about the disposition fee that i was told that i wont be charged recently when i sold that BMW to my friend as lease matured
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #19
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok just to clarify, im not concerned about the deal that i had 3 yrs ago,, im upset about the disposition fee that i was told that i wont be charged recently when i sold that BMW to my friend as lease matured
The same contract from 3 years ago still is the same contract in effect when you sold the car. It will state that there is a fee. Read the damn thing.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
I even asked Kevin this
"Do you think its fair for me to pay this fee although i was told by you numerous times that i will not be, if you think its fair then ill pay and will not make a deal out of it."

He said "i will talk to someone and call you right back."

Never ever got a call from him ever again and still havent
OP, as I shared through PM's, the disposition fee is nothing Kevin has authority to waive, being that the fee is something you pay forward to BMW and not your selling dealer. Obviously all the information and fees were disclosed in your closing contract in which you spent the time in signing because we all know how long it could take, why you are this upset about a minimal fee astonishes me... As I shared with you in our PM, I recently returned my girlfriends Mini, and even as a BMW employee I still had to pay the disposition fee, you do however have the "power" per say to negotiate the fee with BMW financial and once again not your selling dealer... I don't quite understand how "scam" is even relevant to your situation because as I just stated, you signed a legal document stating that you are financially responsible for all fees associated when purchasing or going into a lease... Now I do agree that Kevin could have carried out his responsibilities to you his client a little more effectively and definitely shame on him for never getting back to you, but there's always two sides to the story...
      08-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #21
Westsider45
draught tolerant
Rep
Drives: '17 C63 sedan

Glad to see that McKenna Service seems to care about McKenna Sales' image.

I did the Drive for Team USA there a few weeks back, stepped into the sales floor to get a quote for an ED 320i, and asked for a bottle of water on that hot, humid day.

Nothing.

Fortunately, Century West gave me two when I bought one off their lot, a couple of weeks later ...
'07 G35 sedan Sport 6MT - tail happy
'94 del Sol Si 5MT - sweet shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsider45 View Post
Glad to see that McKenna Service seems to care about McKenna Sales' image.
Naturally so... But more importantly I didn't want there to be any form of misconception in relations to the OP's situation... Point being a document was signed in agreement to pay such fee's in question for a lease, but somehow was misinterpreted as a "scam" is just falsifying information... The salesman in question stated that he would look into seeing if the fee could be waived(not 100% possible), although the fee was a signed commitment to be paid by the OP, and because it could not wash away or be waived, he's upset... In full understanding that the salesman could have done a better job at communication, that's where the fault is IMO, communication was nearly non existent...

Obviously everyone here posted similar responses leads me to believe that the OP is in full understanding as well now? He hasn't chimed in...