F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > [AutoCar]:BMW i3 and i8 might not be replaced
ARMA SPEED

02-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #67
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The i3 is within the top five of best driving BMW's today.
How much did BMW pay you to say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #68
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I plan to get one soon. I actually like how it looks, and i've heard it drives pretty good too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #69
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Drive One.
      02-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #70
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Drive One.
I drove them for three years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #71
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
All that means is the rest SUCK
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
I plan to get one soon. I actually like how it looks, and i've heard it drives pretty good too.
It gets 80 miles on a charge. Where can you drive to to actually drive it?

Car and Driver, "The i3s remains so disinterested in aggressive cornering that it’s easy to forget this is a rear-wheel-drive car with a mid-mounted motor; an electric Porsche Cayman the BMW i3 is not."
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #73
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
I second that. The i3 is a fantastic drive!
Appreciate 1
SCOTT265298.50
      02-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #74
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

With BMWi you will now get "parallel" BMWs.

The new i3 will be the full EV 4dr 3er and iX3 will be the full EV of the X3. And they will be designed differently from the core 3er and X3 to the BMWi design philosophy.
The i3 as we know it will cease in name only, not Concept.
Attached Images

02-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #75
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I drive one around Munich.
      02-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #76
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It gets 80 miles on a charge. Where can you drive to to actually drive it?

Car and Driver, "The i3s remains so disinterested in aggressive cornering that it’s easy to forget this is a rear-wheel-drive car with a mid-mounted motor; an electric Porsche Cayman the BMW i3 is not."
There lies the idiocy in the reporting.
They were expecting an Electric Porsche Cayman? No one else was or did. Comparing an Electric mega-city vehicle to a small performance sports car? Is a bit like V12 against an engine built of 12 exercise ball hamsters.
The i3 in its standard form is relatively good to drive. It's not for the track or to compete in competitions.
If you want the i3 with a little more dynamic edge to the standard i3 there is the i3S with the same rapid response but with a bit more edge of dynamic agility.
It's not a sports car per se. But it's certainly the sportiest amongst its segment.
      02-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There lies the idiocy in the reporting.
They were expecting an Electric Porsche Cayman? No one else was or did. Comparing an Electric mega-city vehicle to a small performance sports car? Is a bit like V12 against an engine built of 12 exercise ball hamsters.
The i3 in its standard form is relatively good to drive. It's not for the track or to compete in competitions.
If you want the i3 with a little more dynamic edge to the standard i3 there is the i3S with the same rapid response but with a bit more edge of dynamic agility.
It's not a sports car per se. But it's certainly the sportiest amongst its segment.
Come on Man, you said the "i3 is within the top 5 of best driving BMWs today". What other 4 BMWs are you speaking of? M2, M3, M4, M5? That's four (4) other BMWs that are better driving than 95% of the cars on the road today from ANY manufacturer. So you are saying that the i3 (or i3s apparently) drives as good as the four M cars in BMWs line up. And you said within, so that would indicate the i3 drives better than at least one of the M cars listed. I call bullshit. I've driven both the i3 and the Chevy Bolt. The bolt drives better than the i3 IMO (I've been driving BMWs for 30 years). And the Bolt, you can actually drive it outside the city to a road that curves and has grade to it and get back to tell the story.

I didn't publish the entire Car and Driver review, so you can go read the comment I sourced from it in the context of the entire review. And a discussion about a "best-handling" car that is primarily designed for city/close suburban use is really pointless anyway. A car for that driving environment should accelerate well, stop well, and have a suspension designed to absorb poor road conditions. The i3 is quietly fast off the line (at a traffic light) and that's about it.

If you truly work for BMW and actually believe the hype you publish, then you are one of the people that have taken one of the best car companies off its track IMO.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-19-2018 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 3