F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Apple Vs ????
proTUNING Freaks

01-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
THIS and homologation. The biggest problem I had with Android is that there are too many manufacturers making android hardware. With iOS, only Apple is making the hardware and has tight control over the root kits. This means that everything on iOS is more harmonious and can shake hands with the apple line of products more seamlessly and results in a better user experience. You pay a premium for this experience, but to me, it's totally worth it. I was a hardcore PC fanboy since the Intel 80386 from the 1980's building my own PCs in grade school all through college. I've gone completely Apple in the past 10 years and now I enjoy using these tools instead of tinkering with them, trying to get them to work together.
Off topic and trip down memory lane.

I remember building the 386s. Those were the days. I started my PC journey when I was able to get a job with a local PC shop when I was in high school. Worked on 8088 PCs and adding NEC V20s to bump speeds up to a whopping 10 MHz. Those were the days with the infamous Turbo switch. Saw the rise and fall of various PC manufacturers....AST, Kaypro, Leading Edge, Hyundai. Fun times.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #46
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
I prefer the Apple ecosystem and have always preferred iOS. I have an iPhone X.

That being said, the best all around phone will have to be the Samsung Note 8 or Google Pixel 2 XL. Samsung has the best hardware and has everything you could possibly want from a smart phone. Jack of all trades. Shame for the mediocre software/skin.

The best Android phone by far is the Pixel 2. Stock android. No nonsense. Great build. And the best camera on any phone by far.

Honorable mention to One Plus 5 because it checks all the boxes and competes will with the rest of the "flagship" market at a much lower price point.

All great phones; it comes down to personal preference.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #47
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
The answer to this is actually very simple. Adding a REMOVABLE battery means adding bulk. Think about it: you would have to seal the battery off from the internals of the phone AND have some type of removable panel/door to get to the battery AND you would have to provide a power ribbon connection that is user friendly and robust enough to not get destroyed. Currently, the internals of the phones are SO compact that it would add significant bulk to the phones.

The average cell phone battery lasts a few years before performance becomes an issue. The iPhone currently costs $25 to have it replaced at an Apples store. Usually it costs $75. That's $75 every 2-3 years. That's a VERY small price to pay over that amount of time. Why pay for a door and have the added bulk of a door that you are only going to use once or twice in 5-6 years?

Keep in mind that a store serviced battery replacement also comes with a guarantee that the install will be successful. In other words, you get a brand new phone if the battery installation somehow damages the internals. I should know, I got a brand spanking new iPhone 6 Plus when I had the battery swapped because the battery had expanded and damaged the screen.

So yes, is SOUNDS convenient to have a removable battery, but actually, it's not.

I'm not a dainty little man or a girl. I don't wear skinny jeans, and I don't carry a purse.

All of the things you just mentioned are NOT issues for me. Battery life is. I'm not some frail little twat that values a phone as thin as a credit card. i don't like twink phones.

I'm not one of the dumbshits that carries a charger every time I leave home and squats by the wall in airport terminals.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #48
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
I'm not a dainty little man or a girl. I don't wear skinny jeans, and I don't carry a purse.

All of the things you just mentioned are NOT issues for me. Battery life is. I'm not some frail little twat that values a phone as thin as a credit card. i don't like twink phones.

I'm not one of the dumbshits that carries a charger every time I leave home and squats by the wall in airport terminals.
Regardless, it's a marketing point that Apple deems important enough for a majority of it's consumer base, and indeed form factor is a big part of Apple's strategy, it always has been.

Even if you could switch out the iphone battery, what are we going to do? Carry a spare battery and small screwdriver around? Why not carry one of these instead:

That way you can charge more than just your phone.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #49
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Regardless, it's a marketing point that Apple deems important enough for a majority of it's consumer base, and indeed form factor is a big part of Apple's strategy, it always has been.

Even if you could switch out the iphone battery, what are we going to do? Carry a spare battery and small screwdriver around? Why not carry one of these instead:

That way you can charge more than just your phone.

I don't give a shit about apple's marketing points. Never have in my life and probably never will

And as for 'form factor' it's hilarious to me that when the iphone came out, the marketing touted how SMALL it was. Then, when Samsung and others came out with larger screens, Apple jumped on the bandwagon and said "holy shit! look how much bigger this screen is than the last one!" and of course dumbasses lined up at midnight to get the bigger and better phone, even though many bought the one before it because it wasn't too big like the big android phones that didn't fit in the purse as well. Comedy.

and as for switching batteries, I don't need to carry a screwdriver, and I also don't need to carry some dumb brick charger thing.

I have a 9000mah battery I don't need screwdrivers and other crap. My phone will work for days and doesn't get intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3773.00
      01-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Does anyone even sell just a regular mobile phone that just makes calls with no other smartphone fluff?:
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #51
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Does anyone even sell just a regular mobile phone that just makes calls with no other smartphone fluff?:

maybe, I think you have to prepay and get them at a dollar store and buy a 30-day card
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #52
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post

maybe, I think you have to prepay and get them at a dollar store and buy a 30-day card
Those aren't practical....pass
But would be a cool option to just be able to buy a simple phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #53
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't give a shit about apple's marketing points. Never have in my life and probably never will
To each his own. A lot of people find it important, whether we like it or not.

Quote:
And as for 'form factor' it's hilarious to me that when the iphone came out, the marketing touted how SMALL it was. Then, when Samsung and others came out with larger screens, Apple jumped on the bandwagon and said "holy shit! look how much bigger this screen is than the last one!" and of course dumbasses lined up at midnight to get the bigger and better phone, even though many bought the one before it because it wasn't too big like the big android phones that didn't fit in the purse as well. Comedy.
Big screen, thin phone. It's not a hard formula to figure out. Big phone doesn't always mean big screen:

Quote:
and as for switching batteries, I don't need to carry a screwdriver, and I also don't need to carry some dumb brick charger thing.
Neither do I. I have an iPhone X. I don't carry a charger and I don't carry a battery unless I am camping or traveling.

Quote:
I have a 9000mah battery I don't need screwdrivers and other crap. My phone will work for days and doesn't get intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.
Then what are you complaining about?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #54
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about it
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #55
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Then what are you complaining about?

my current phone isn't going to last forever. Eventually I'll need to get a new one and the way things are going I'll either have to compromise performance and features for the option of having the ability to add a huge replacement battery; thus my original post in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #56
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666MorDeath View Post
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about it

this is serious business

of the few virtues I have, honesty is one
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #57
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

watch out, we got a badass over here
Appreciate 0