F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport AT not so smooth when cold
Extreme Powerhouse

11-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Sport AT not so smooth when cold

I've got over 2K now and am really enjoying my 335i Msport.

2 things have come up over the past month.
I've developed a "clunk" in the steering. I can easily feel it trough the steering wheel as I make a left. It's always in the same spot when I turn the wheel, always.
It feels harder on colder days. It's developed and become worse over time.
Started with nothing and now I can hear it and feel it.
Going in soon to have the tech's check it out.

The 2nd thing is my sport AT. It always shifts smoothest in comfort "D" mode. I have the DH pkg with sport mode set to "chassis only", so my trans shifts as if it's in 'comfort' mode.
The problem is that it takes a VERY long time for the trans to warm up and give smooth shifts in DS and especially in manual mode.
If the engine and trans are cold, and I put it in manual mode, the shifts are abrupt and harsh. Down shifts don't feel rev matched at all. They feel like the worst MT driver trying to rev match be over compensates with the throttle.

IT takes between 10-15 miles of driving for the trans to fully warm up and give smooth and fast shifts as it did before.
My commute is about 14 miles so it doesn't help, seems I'm always driving with an abrupt shifting trans, and it's not too much fun.

I'm an MT driver and I decided to give this trans a try as it's damn good when it's good. This abruptness sucks. When new it was better, but frankly it never felt as smooth in DS and manual mode as the test drive cars I drove.
Oddly, it's great in D auto mode cold or warm. The shifts are very smooth and nearly imperceptible up and down. It's just when I use D/S or manual mode when it's cold, the shift quality is abrupt.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm taking my car in for the steering thunk and I'm having them take a look at the trans.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

I can't speak for the new ZF 8AT but my 2009 335xi with ZF 6AT behaved just like you describe. Was a little annoying and I still missed driving stick at times (it was my first auto) but was otherwise very good (drove in DS and manual 90%). Waiting for my 2013 and hoping the 8AT makes me miss stick even less but annoying that this warm up issue still exists. Otherwise in my test drives the sport 8AT seemed fantastic and I felt as though manual transmissions were soon going to be a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I've got over 2K now and am really enjoying my 335i Msport.

2 things have come up over the past month.
I've developed a "clunk" in the steering. I can easily feel it trough the steering wheel as I make a left. It's always in the same spot when I turn the wheel, always.
It feels harder on colder days. It's developed and become worse over time.
Started with nothing and now I can hear it and feel it.
Going in soon to have the tech's check it out.

The 2nd thing is my sport AT. It always shifts smoothest in comfort "D" mode. I have the DH pkg with sport mode set to "chassis only", so my trans shifts as if it's in 'comfort' mode.
The problem is that it takes a VERY long time for the trans to warm up and give smooth shifts in DS and especially in manual mode.
If the engine and trans are cold, and I put it in manual mode, the shifts are abrupt and harsh. Down shifts don't feel rev matched at all. They feel like the worst MT driver trying to rev match be over compensates with the throttle.

IT takes between 10-15 miles of driving for the trans to fully warm up and give smooth and fast shifts as it did before.
My commute is about 14 miles so it doesn't help, seems I'm always driving with an abrupt shifting trans, and it's not too much fun.

I'm an MT driver and I decided to give this trans a try as it's damn good when it's good. This abruptness sucks. When new it was better, but frankly it never felt as smooth in DS and manual mode as the test drive cars I drove.
Oddly, it's great in D auto mode cold or warm. The shifts are very smooth and nearly imperceptible up and down. It's just when I use D/S or manual mode when it's cold, the shift quality is abrupt.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm taking my car in for the steering thunk and I'm having them take a look at the trans.