F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 328i M Sport exhaust debris -- normal?
Studio RSR

11-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

328i M Sport exhaust debris -- normal?

I've had my 2103 328i M Sport for almost two months now and throughout this time, I notice quite a bit of exhaust dust/debris clinging to my rear bumper and exhaust tips. It always washes off without too much trouble but seems beyond what I would consider normal. My old E46 convertible had some exhaust dust too -- but no where near as much. The day after I wash the car, it is already obvious to me.

Perhaps this is because of the turbo? (first time I've owned a turbo)

Is this normal? Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

running rich stock.

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_M_Sport_Eurovan View Post
I've had my 2103 328i M Sport for almost two months now
You mean to tell me we're still driving petrol cars in 2103?

Quote:

I notice quite a bit of exhaust dust/debris clinging to my rear bumper and exhaust tips. It always washes off without too much trouble but seems beyond what I would consider normal. My old E46 convertible had some exhaust dust too -- but no where near as much. The day after I wash the car, it is already obvious to me.

Perhaps this is because of the turbo? (first time I've owned a turbo)

Is this normal? Opinions?
some soot on the tail pipe is normal. debris making it as far as your bumper seems a bit odd. How many miles on car? Have you checked oil meter in iDrive to see what it says? I hope you're not dealing with an oil burn issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep

I now have about 2300 miles on it. I did, indeed, check the oil using the iDrive system. All checks out fine. I'm taking in tomorrow and having them take a look and it seems my speedometer is also off a bit. I keep driving by those automated "slow down" signs that post your speed via radar and I consistently show over by 3-6 mph depending upon how fast I'm going. (separate issue).

Anyway, thank you all for your time and effort responding. I'll report back when I get the prognosis. I'm pretty darn sure they will simply report that it is "normal." At least my winter mats came in and I can pick them up at the same time.

H
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh... and Claykin... Yes, I'm from the future and we're still dinosaur driven. England STILL has a royal family, The Mayans were wrong, and we now have an E.T. alien in the White House.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

For what it's worth, both of these are probably normal. My tailpipe slings soot on the back bumper, though I have mineral grey so it doesn't really show.

And out of the 3 BMWs I've had (E46, E90, F30), each one has had a speedo that trends high. If I'm doing 45 per the speedo my iPhone GPS will indicate 43, or thereabouts. I guess it could get up to a 6 MPH delta but you'd have to be going pretty fast.
      12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys -- I have returned from the dealer with news (or not news, depending upon your perspective).

1. oil change -- at 2,500 miles, I decided to do the oil change anyway. I looked at the car on the rack as it was being done. The fluid did come out a little dark but was still fully serviceable. I don't regret doing it ($85) but it probably could have waited until 5K. I will probably get it done yearly (or 10K) at this point. I know there is a lot of talk on the subject and people disagree but i'm planning on keeping a while.

2. As suspected, the tail pipe soot is "normal" and expected during the early part of the car's life. The youngish mechanic tells me that all of the exhaust components have protective coatings that will burn off in the early stages. He told me this should dissipate over time and is perfectly normal. Okay!

3. Speedometer -- this is ALSO normal. They printed out a service bulletin (I can give the number to anyone who wants it) that described the exact condition I was describing. They say most new cars do slightly overestimate the speed by as much as 5%. Interestingly, this does NOT affect the odometer which records miles digitally (not sure I understand where it is getting its data if not from the same source as the speedometer). So, once again, normal.

Thank you, everyone, who took the time to offer your 2 cents. I feel more informed now and maybe feel a little more confident that my car is being taken care of diligently.

Best,
H
Appreciate 0