F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Why no ETA displayed while navigating?
GetBMWParts

05-31-2015, 05:00 AM   #1
terrypin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Luxury Auto Saloon

Why no ETA displayed while navigating?

I've had my 2012 328i Luxury only a couple of months and yesterday was only the second time I've used its Navigation for a serious journey. So please excuse a possibly dumb question.

With a map displayed and route guidance active, why am I not seeing one of the key items of data needed, namely an ETA?

As well as the map itself I have Journey Computer displayed as my split screen option, to show otherwise full details of this journey - but ETA is not included!

To see ETA I have to call up On Board Computer. But that includes various more general, longer term items, not focusing on the current route/journey, so it's not a suitable split screen option.

On the external sat-nav devices I've used before (Tom-Tom, Garmin, etc), ETA is a prominent item on the screen. So I'm hoping this is just a matter of a setting or some other basic point I'm missing, not a surprising design flaw?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
Makky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
I've had my 2012 328i Luxury only a couple of months and yesterday was only the second time I've used its Navigation for a serious journey. So please excuse a possibly dumb question.

With a map displayed and route guidance active, why am I not seeing one of the key items of data needed, namely an ETA?

As well as the map itself I have Journey Computer displayed as my split screen option, to show otherwise full details of this journey - but ETA is not included!

To see ETA I have to call up On Board Computer. But that includes various more general, longer term items, not focusing on the current route/journey, so it's not a suitable split screen option.

On the external sat-nav devices I've used before (Tom-Tom, Garmin, etc), ETA is a prominent item on the screen. So I'm hoping this is just a matter of a setting or some other basic point I'm missing, not a surprising design flaw?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Mine is showing the ETA on the map (bottom right).
I think I have seen a setting whre you can choose what to show on the map. Just look in the Navi-settings.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Its supposed to show it, check your settings, I think pressing the controller down once move is only supposed to hide the radio info thats in the top right, not the ETA which is on the bottom right.
      05-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
terrypin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Luxury Auto Saloon

Thanks both, appreciate the fast replies.

Well, I don't understand why, but I'm pleased to report that the map does now show ETA and other info, in a small grey box on right of map.

No sign of this yesterday over several hours, during outgoing and return trips. But after your posts I switched on ignition, and this time went to Connected Drive > Status (or something like that) because I was wondering if that was a requirement and had perhaps not been activated previously. Then I started guidance. The data then appeared on the map. Together initially with 'TMC' (Traffic Message Channel, I gather) which changed shortly afterwards to 'RTTI', (Real Time Traffic Information).

Although the practical problem is resolved, I'd still appreciate any insights into what might have been going on here. And also any explanation of the distinction between TMC and RTTI. So far I've found nothing in the user guide about this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
The gray box in lower right mysteriously disappeared on me a while ago; this box has ETA & distance to go. I discovered that all I had to do was push down on iDrive controller and it reappearef
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Its supposed to show it, check your settings, I think pressing the controller down once move is only supposed to hide the radio info thats in the top right, not the ETA which is on the bottom right.
kind of side topic, i think that functionality is so stupid. i always accidentally hit the controller and everything hides
      06-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
kind of side topic, i think that functionality is so stupid. i always accidentally hit the controller and everything hides
Its changed, now it actually brings up a small menu with some shortcuts I like,

I think it has Hide info, stop guidance, and 2 other things that I can't recall atm.