F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How is the F36 with child seats?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
How is the F36 with child seats?

I drive an F80 and I am considering a 440 GC Xdrive since the weather in NH sucks for 6 months out of the year.

I have a new born that is in a rear facing seat and will be for a while. How does the F36 do with a rear facing seat? How about getting the seat in and out the car?

TIA

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

FWIW I have no trouble getting our 10 month old into and out of the center of the rear seat in my F30. Can't imagine you having any difficulties in an F36. Our rear doors open a little wider than some of the older BMWs. It was much easier going from my E60 M5 to the F30.
      09-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

No problems with our Britax B Safe 35 in our F36. Have to move the passenger seat forward a bit, but it's actually slightly more spacious than our Ford Escape which I didnt expect. Easy to get it in and out, but we don't use the middle seat since the car isn't designed for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
bmwgoat
Rep
Drives: 440i GC BSM/CR

I have a forward facing clek car seat behind the driver and a rear facing peg perego infant seat behind the passenger seats in my F36.
The coupe-style of the four door does make it a little awkward with the infant seat but gets in no problem.
We have a 4Runner which we use mainly for kid transporting tho
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
3Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_M3 View Post
I drive an F80 and I am considering a 440 GC Xdrive since the weather in NH sucks for 6 months out of the year.

I have a new born that is in a rear facing seat and will be for a while. How does the F36 do with a rear facing seat? How about getting the seat in and out the car?

TIA
It's a BMW 3 series, not a Porsche. It's really no different than any other car. Each will have it's quirks but you'll be fine. One of the reasons SUV's are popular are that you won't have to bend over so low to get the kid in and other stuff with a SUV they are closer to standing height. Also, kids need a lot of crap so yo need a lot of trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

f32 and i got a kiddo in the back seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
Yeah lots of room. Nothing like having a kid seat smashed against the two front seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
Yeah lots of room. Nothing like having a kid seat smashed against the two front seats.
thats a huge car seat, I have a much smaller car seat now. ill take a pic later. but you know what they say, if it fits, it ships
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #9
blau808
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 F31 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgoat View Post
I have a forward facing clek car seat behind the driver and a rear facing peg perego infant seat behind the passenger seats in my F36.
The coupe-style of the four door does make it a little awkward with the infant seat but gets in no problem.
We have a 4Runner which we use mainly for kid transporting tho
How does it make it awkward, is the opening small? Does having no window frame help or hurt?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #10
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Chiming in:

I've got a Diono Radian in my F36 in a rear-facing position currently. Diono's are narrow but quite tall for a car seat. That being said, I was able to make it work without too much hassle. Yes, the lower roofline can make loading/unloading your child a bit more difficult compared to any of the other F3Xs but you get used to it quite quickly. Moving the seat itself in and out of the car can be a chore.

Here's a couple of tips for those interested in having an F36 do family car duty (and are using Dionos):
- if rear facing, make sure you get the angle adjuster pad (essentially a piece of thick foam) to make the seat more upright. I'm not tall (under 6') and without the adjuster pad the rear facing installation can push up against the front seat too much.
- if rear facing, I suggest you install behind the driver's seat. The sloped roofine (and small rear 1/4 panel window) makes it impossible to shoulder-check the right side if you're installing behind the front passenger.
- no issues with front facing... install the seat wherever you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
How does it make it awkward, is the opening small? Does having no window frame help or hurt?
IIRC (when we had the infant carrier), the rear door opening angle is narrow so you will need to be more aware during loading/unloading and not bang it all over the car. Again, after a couple of times you get used to it and it's not an issue. Frameless windows don't make a difference to the situation.

Do I regret having the F36 for family duty? Hell no. I'd do it again if given the chance.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
sevalley
Rep
Drives: 430i Grand Coupe

"upgraded" from a 428i coupe to a 430i GC recently since I had a kid. The rear facing car seat fits great in the back. I don't have to move the front seats up THAT much to make it fit. Alot of other cars like the X1 need you to move the front seats almost all the way up to fit the infant car seat in the back. The hatchback is probably the best feature for kids though, as you can easily fit everything you need back there.
      11-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Bump.

Can anyone post a pic of that rear facing seat in the back ? I'd love to see how much space is really there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Bump.

Can anyone post a pic of that rear facing seat in the back ? I'd love to see how much space is really there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Bump.

I will tonight. Keep in mind that you don't want to incline the seat too much just to make it fit since it is not as safe for the baby. They won't have the neck strength the hold their head up, especially over longer trips. Babies have suffocated from this. Our Britax has a built in level to help set it properly. Not ideal for fitment, but our baby's safety is obviously more important. Also the car is not designed to have the seat in the center!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I will tonight. Keep in mind that you don't want to incline the seat too much just to make it fit since it is not as safe for the baby. They won't have the neck strength the hold their head up, especially over longer trips. Babies have suffocated from this. Our Britax has a built in level to help set it properly. Not ideal for fitment, but our baby's safety is obviously more important. Also the car is not designed to have the seat in the center!!
Absolutely with you here. I'm glad you've got the incline worked out so that I can see how it 'should' be done in your pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #15
spwickson
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Grand Coupe (F36)

I have a F36 and 2 car seats in the back is fine, if you want reasonable room in the front then you need have the right one.

Front facing, I had no issues, I use a Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Car Seat, had been using a Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and it was okay but the slim gave my 4 year old a bit more space

Rear facing was the problem, I tried using Pria 70 behind the passenger seat and it would fit with less room in the front.

I switched it to a Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible and being 5"10 I can sit in the front easily on the passenger side. It's also really easy to tighten up and the car seat in the pic is rear facing in its most horizontal mode #1 and the bubble is in the correct zone for rear facing

I use my car for business and I can also fit both seats in the trunk in the event I need to take customer out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0