F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DTUK Pedal Box Plus Review
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

DTUK Pedal Box Plus Review

Having had a really positive experience with the DTUK CRDT 3+ tuning box I decided to buy the DTUK Pedal Box Plus.

Fitting

Literally takes 5 minutes, remove the screw cover at the base of the accelerator pedal and then unscrew the torx bolt.

Slide the accelerator pedal upwards and unclip the electrical connector, connect the pedal box connector in-line and slide the pedal back onto its bracket. Replace the torx bolt and cover and that's it.

You can place the controller anywhere that suits you as the cable is more than long enough. The controller comes with a holder and a sticky pad so there is no need to drill holes etc

Setting Up

There is a setting called PerfecTune which learns the travel of the pedal so it know how far the pedal travels from top to bottom and delivers the best possible result. This takes less than a minute and is very straightforward.

Once set up there are 4 modes - Off - City - Sport - Race

Each mode alters how the results are delivered

Within each mode (except off) you can fine tune from -3 to +3 to alter the characteristics of the Pedal Box

Result

Instantly you can tell that the Pedal Box works, previously when you accelerated there was a noticeable pause from when the accelerator is pressed to the car responding, now its instant.

When driving you only need to press the accelerator a small amount, your pedal inputs are amplified. Comfort mode on the gearbox feels a lot more like Sport and Sport is incredible the car feels alive and raring to go.

When pushing on the performance is instant, lift of the pedal and then back on and its immediate, the car is a lot more drivable and increases the enjoyment no end.

It reminded me of the days when cars has cables from the accelerator instead of drive by wire.

I switched it off as a comparison and at the first junction when pulling off I thought for a split second that the car had stalled as there was a pause when accelerating.

I took the car to Darth Helmut as he drove it previously with the BlueSpark fitted but had not driven it with both DTUK products fitted, he was impressed and am sure will add a comment.

Overall the two products have transformed the car, if the tuning box is not a route people are comfortable with the PedalBox+ is a no brainer as the improvement in drivability is amazing.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...Pedal+Box+Plus
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Great write up mate.

I can most certainly vouch for the package of the DTUK box and throttle tuner on Jons F10. Totally transforms the car. The tuning box on its own gives the next best thing to a stage 1 remap but adding the throttle box puts the icing on the cake and now it drives with so much response when needed. Takes away that typical FBW lag or latency.

I have a stage 1 remap and the RaceChip XLR throttle on mine and I certainly advocate to anyone who has a good box or a remap to look at trying a throttle box too.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691881.00
      10-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Imo if anything the accelerator response in sport is a bit too quick, so I?m not sure why there is the need for this. Surely it reduces modulation of the accelerator even more than sport mode already does?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Imo if anything the accelerator response in sport is a bit too quick, so I?m not sure why there is the need for this. Surely it reduces modulation of the accelerator even more than sport mode already does?
Yep exactly that but the beauty is you can mix and match the throttle response in any chassis setting. So even in comfort mode, you can tweak the throttle to be a bit more lively. It takes out that first 1cm of f**k all that you always get. But the great thing is when driving hard, you can almost play with the throttle in a similar way you can with a nicely set up manual but still have all the perks of an auto box. Demand and position of the throttle is more harmonised.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691881.00
      10-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
As Tony says but in my simple view

The car is a lot more of a car and a lot better to drive than without it.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Interesting thanks. I have a dtuk on the 340 and whilst certainly giving the extra power does make the delay in comfort more noticeable. If it removes that initial sleep and sudden wake up well pulling off in comfort then that's a winner.
What's it like to drive with the pedal box in sport bit the car in eco pro?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Interesting thanks. I have a dtuk on the 340 and whilst certainly giving the extra power does make the delay in comfort more noticeable. If it removes that initial sleep and sudden wake up well pulling off in comfort then that's a winner.
On mine, Eco chassis mode with box set to Sport or above makes it feel like comfort in throttle response. Takes away that bloody dangerous loooong reaction but still gives you coast and the other stuff that Eco is good for.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Yes it removes the sleep, you can also adjust how much sleep with the fine tuning, comfort is now alive like sport mode and sport mode is electric, I actually turned it down from +3 to +1 as it was too sensitive in the wet.

I now have Race mode +3 for the dry and sport mode +1 for the wet

I believe that they have a sale or return policy like the tuning boxes so you can see if you like it.

I have just switched off the tuning box to see what the pedal box is like on a standard engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #9
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

When informing your insurance company that you have fitted the pedal box, did they have a clue what it was or did it take some explaining?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
When informing your insurance company that you have fitted the pedal box, did they have a clue what it was or did it take some explaining?
It was not a problem, they knew what it was and added it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
M5 F90 (2018)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Does it remember your last setting after switching off the engine?

Shame i did not know you had this Tony as i would have loved to have a look at the process and results when we met up at the RR in surrey!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Never really heard of these. Thinking about it forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't this just in a nutshell increase throttle percentage for a smaller demand ie, if demanding 20pc it'll output 50pc thus feels sharper and quicker because it's demanding more fuel thus more power targeting that cell in the ecu. Diesels don't have a throttle body as such but tps .

I'm pretty sure this how sport vs other modes (eco Pro/comfort etc) work apart rpm shifts points and chassis.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Xdrive (2015) View Post
Does it remember your last setting after switching off the engine?

Shame i did not know you had this Tony as i would have loved to have a look at the process and results when we met up at the RR in surrey!
Yes it remembers all of the settings on all of the modes.

It's Jon by the way

I did not have it at the RR day just fitted it last week.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Never really heard of these. Thinking about it forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't this just in a nutshell increase throttle percentage for a smaller demand ie, if demanding 20pc it'll output 50pc thus feels sharper and quicker because it's demanding more fuel thus more power targeting that cell in the ecu. Diesels don't have a throttle body as such but tps .

I'm pretty sure this how sport vs other modes (eco Pro/comfort etc) work apart rpm shifts points and chassis.

Thanks
I am not an expert but you may partly be right, however the biggest gain is it totally eliminates the sponge effect of pressing the accelerator and then waiting whilst the power starts being produced.

There is now no delay the effect is instant, instant power no delay. As mentioned the car feels alive and a lot more interesting and engaging to drive
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #15
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

So, for example, in comfort, you could have comfort gear change timing and gear selection, without the peddle input lag?

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:13 AM   #16
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So, for example, in comfort, you could have comfort gear change timing and gear selection, without the peddle input lag?
Correct

Not tested it without the tuning box on but will later this week to get a comparison against a standard engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #17
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

I had a similar thing fitted to my Merc (sprintbooster), brilliant bit of kit but sport mode on the beemer is very similar so surely fitting this will make the car very sensitive in sport mode?

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 05:04 AM   #18
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
I had a similar thing fitted to my Merc (sprintbooster), brilliant bit of kit but sport mode on the beemer is very similar so surely fitting this will make the car very sensitive in sport mode?
Yep
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #19
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

This sounds like a great bit of kit. I often idly browse the threads on tuning boxes, get tempted, but conclude that for me it's a solution to a problem I don't have. Real world, my car is already plenty quick enough for me, but I am always switching up to Sport, even around town, because I find the throttle map in Comfort so irritating. What I want is an instant response when I spot a gap at a busy roundabout, or need to get up to speed quickly on a short slip road, etc. If it makes the car generally 'feel' quicker, so much the better.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #20
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
This sounds like a great bit of kit. I often idly browse the threads on tuning boxes, get tempted, but conclude that for me it's a solution to a problem I don't have. Real world, my car is already plenty quick enough for me, but I am always switching up to Sport, even around town, because I find the throttle map in Comfort so irritating. What I want is an instant response when I spot a gap at a busy roundabout, or need to get up to speed quickly on a short slip road, etc. If it makes the car generally 'feel' quicker, so much the better.
That's perfect for you then as it removes the delay and makes the car more responsive
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      10-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #21
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
It can be very sensitive in Sport mode but you have 6 settings per Pedal Box mode so you can reduce the sensitivity.

When I am in sport mode I can put the pedal box to race and have it it set on standard rather than say plus 3

You can tweak it so that it suits your style of driving etc
Appreciate 1
evdok818.00
      10-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
scusswold
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Not tested it without the tuning box on but will later this week to get a comparison against a standard engine.
I would certainly be grateful of this feedback JLR1969, thanks
Appreciate 0