F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Winter tire in Vancouver region?
GetBMWParts

12-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #23
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Elite View Post
I'm coming up to Vancouver and Victoria in mid-January with a rental. Will the all season tires be enough?
Usually you'd be ok but this year's winter has been much snowier so far than the past 3 or so years. Grab a rental with winters on to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #24
SQQDQQ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi604 View Post
Quote:
I'm coming up to Vancouver and Victoria in mid-January with a rental. Will the all season tires be enough?
Usually you'd be ok but this year's winter has been much snowier so far than the past 3 or so years. Grab a rental with winters on to be on the safe side.
Yea probably will rent a SUV just for this winter. Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #25
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Called my rental company Sixt here and asked for an all wheel drive but they said they cannot guarantee one. *sigh... I'm getting either a Mercedes C-class, BMW 3er, or Audi A4 so I have a chance at it. They're probably equipped with all seasons. I plan to get chains for 2 wheels, will that be enough for Vancouver? I will be going to Lynn Canyon and Sea to Sky Gondola. If any locals can update me with the weather and road condition, I will greatl appreciate it! I will be there for my birthday next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #26
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

Quote:
Called my rental company Sixt here and asked for an all wheel drive but they said they cannot guarantee one. *sigh... I'm getting either a Mercedes C-class, BMW 3er, or Audi A4 so I have a chance at it. They're probably equipped with all seasons. I plan to get chains for 2 wheels, will that be enough for Vancouver? I will be going to Lynn Canyon and Sea to Sky Gondola. If any locals can update me with the weather and road condition, I will greatl appreciate it! I will be there for my birthday next week.
Check drivebc.ca for the latest road condition update.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #27
Project Elite
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
Check drivebc.ca for the latest road condition update.
Very useful, thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #28
Gitte
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Welcome to Vancouver! It is still quite cold but snow is slowly melting in the city. This has created a bit of an ice problem in some areas but city driving along main routes is pretty much OK.

Definitely check drivebc.ca. Winter tires (I think M+S are also acceptable) are required on the Sea to Sky Highway - here is a list of routes for which they are mandatory (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...hain-up-routes).

I believe chains are not allowed for cars - only for commercial vehicles but I am not 100% sure on this.

EDIT:

Chains are not allowed for passenger vehicles - more information here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...res-and-chains

Also noticed your post said you're not here until next week so conditions may change, even so the winters are mandatory from October to March on the Sea to Sky (you'll be on this highway to Squamish if you want to go the Gondola).

Good luck, hopefully the rental company can accommodate you.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #29
Project Elite
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitte View Post
Welcome to Vancouver! It is still quite cold but snow is slowly melting in the city. This has created a bit of an ice problem in some areas but city driving along main routes is pretty much OK.

Definitely check drivebc.ca. Winter tires (I think M+S are also acceptable) are required on the Sea to Sky Highway - here is a list of routes for which they are mandatory (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...hain-up-routes).

I believe chains are not allowed for cars - only for commercial vehicles but I am not 100% sure on this.

EDIT:

Chains are not allowed for passenger vehicles - more information here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...res-and-chains

Also noticed your post said you're not here until next week so conditions may change, even so the winters are mandatory from October to March on the Sea to Sky (you'll be on this highway to Squamish if you want to go the Gondola).

Good luck, hopefully the rental company can accommodate you.
Wow, I'm a lot more trouble than I thought. Thank you for informing me on this.

I was under the impression passenger vehicles may use chains but just not with summer tires (like all season/winter tires). In other words, no passenger vehicle in BC uses chains? This is very different than the States but different country different regulations. My rental will come with anything but winter tires cause it doesn't snow here. :
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #30
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

try Simpletire.com
They come from the US, fast shipping. I got myself some All Season from them. Very happy with their service + price.
Appreciate 0