F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > quick easy cheap meal ideas?
GetBMWParts

07-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

quick easy cheap meal ideas?

So ive been having the problem lately of being bored as hell with my meals. Im a college student and a full time employee so i dont have much time or much money to be blowing on going out all the time. So, any ideas on some bachelor meal ideas?

few things, must be low in fat ie not lasagna or anything like that. Need to be high in protein and i would prefer complex carbs and of course must be quick easy and relatively cheap to cook. I love Asian food, but it seems to almost always be more expensive and time consuming to cook, im not really picky and will eat just about anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I cook some rice, fry some chicken sausage and shrimp with some onion, pepper, and jalapeno, then spice everything up and add drained roasted tomatoes and mix in a large skillet. Takes 20 mins and lasts a few days since I just make a bunch at once.

Baked chicken breast with whole wheat pasta and some basil/jalapeno and onion mixed with marinara. Bit of melted mozz on top.

Sliced chicken breast (into strips) on a skillet with fried garlic, bunch of fresh spinach and pesto. Also some whole wheat pasta and a bit of romano on top before you eat.

allrecipes is a good site; all about pulling ideas from different recipes and trying to see what works for you. can't be lazy about it--give yourself time to do a good job.

it's all about quality stuff when you shop. I prefer to buy quality produce and not avoid unhealthy ingredients in my cooking, just keep them to a level I'm comfortable with. I avoid junk food and drinking calories so I can eat whatever I want to cook and not worry about it.

In for more

Last edited by yakev724; 07-22-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Kraft Dinner with a can of tuna and a cup of frozen green peas!
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Get a rice cooker and make all your meals on sunday afternoon/night and freeze them for the week. That way all you have to do is nuke em' and you're good to go.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

I'm a college student living on a tight budget, so I can relate.

I just got a good blender and I love it, I make soups, dressings, smoothies, hummus, and all sorts of things with it. It's real easy to throw some vegetables in it with some olive oil and make a nice homemade soup without salt and with fresh veggies. I then cut a few chicken breasts into 3rds, drop them in the blender and pulse once or twice at the lowest setting. Shreds and blends the chicken in nicely.

Hummus is almost all protein, fiber, and healthy fats. It's also very easy to make. One hundred grams of mature boiled chickpeas [main ingredient in hummus] contains 164 calories, 2.6 grams of fat (of which only 0.27 grams is saturated), 7.6 grams of dietary fiber and 8.9 grams of protein. Homemade hummus is also roughly 8x better tasting than store bought.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip...moked-almonds/

I, almost always, keep a big container of this on hand. The soy beans give it good protein and it's all raw veggies. Very healthy and easy to make, to make it easier I buy the edamame in the microwave steamer bags.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I cook some rice, fry some chicken sausage and shrimp with some onion, pepper, and jalapeno, then spice everything up and add drained roasted tomatoes and mix in a large skillet. Takes 20 mins and lasts a few days since I just make a bunch at once.

Baked chicken breast with whole wheat pasta and some basil/jalapeno and onion mixed with marinara. Bit of melted mozz on top.

Sliced chicken breast (into strips) on a skillet with fried garlic, bunch of fresh spinach and pesto. Also some whole wheat pasta and a bit of romano on top before you eat.

allrecipes is a good site; all about pulling ideas from different recipes and trying to see what works for you. can't be lazy about it--give yourself time to do a good job.

it's all about quality stuff when you shop. I prefer to buy quality produce and not avoid unhealthy ingredients in my cooking, just keep them to a level I'm comfortable with. I avoid junk food and drinking calories so I can eat whatever I want to cook and not worry about it.

In for more
Great stuff, exactly what im looking for. looks like i have some shopping to do tonight. Thanks!

lets keep the ideas coming guys, i think this could be a helpful thread for many of us guys
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
DevilM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC Imola Red/Black

Safeway "buy one get one free" family pack chicken breasts.
Take 'em home and zip-lock bag 'em up. Toss in freezer.

Later...

Pull one out, toss in microwave on defrost 5 minutes.
In a one quart sauce pan, splash a little olive oil, dump chicken breast in, turn heat to med-high, put a lid on it. Flip it before it burns, wait 3 minutes, drop in a cup of cut fresh broccoli, add a shot glass of water, lid it.

Cook about 1.5 minutes, the steam will finish off the chicken and heat and green up the broccoli.
Turn off stove, drain using lid, dump on a plate, a little salt or salt substitute, bon appetite.

I've cut lbs and body fat % and haven't gotten bored with it yet. And it's a cheap meal.

Last edited by DevilM; 07-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Here's my list:
-Coscous, white chicken, sweet potatoes (great meal that's easy to make and full of everything you need)
-wild rice, red meat or fish
-tilapia
-salmon w/ pesto and olive oil
-tuna
*almost any piece of fish is relatively in your price range with tuna and tilapia being your cheapest moving up to salmon and a couple others being a tad pricier*

Eat clean and you'll be ok. I know you can get sick of the same food over and over again so don't kill yourself and throw in some foods you enjoy just make them healthier. Pasta; make your own sauces and use wheat for your Pasta (same calories but wheat has more nutrients) and definitely throw some ground beef in there for protein

Hope this helps :/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Soup and fresh bread. Get the organic soups if you wanna be seriously healthly.
Cost per meal..maybe $3 ?

spicy tuna fish: canned tuna, add relish, ginger, horseradish and/or wasabi to taste. Very inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
patrickguu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335ix

chicken fish or beef. they are all lean/ high in protein. just add adobo. boom ur done.
eat 5 egg whites and 1 egg everyday. its filling and no fat good protein and its cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
elicid
Rep
Drives: N/A

Chicken/beef fajitas. Fry the meat, toss in some vegetables, season. Serve with some quinoa and black beans, whole grain wheat tortilla.

Total cooking time ~15minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
fidelcashflow
Rep
Drives: M3

shepherds pie. make it in huge quantities. ground beef and potatoes = protein and starch.

youtube: gordon ramsay shepherds pie. thats one of the best videos on it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
ground turkey and ground chicken are fairly cheap (don't need the super lean versions) and you can combine them in a frying pan with seasoning. Mince it up....add it to brown rice and vegetables. goes a long way.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Beef + Salt&Pepper + foreman = WIN
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Beef + Salt&Pepper + foreman = WIN
That sounds great but somehow doesn't seem very balanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That sounds great but somehow doesn't seem very balanced.
Quick, Cheap, Balanced

Unfortunately, you can only choose two.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

supermarket whole roast chicken ($7-9) + hearts of romaine lettuce (~$3, add lemon juice or vinagrette)

easy to make, easy to microwave, and even for a big guy like me it's 3 meals.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

step one- get a nice girlfriend. step 2- hit it right. step 3- tell her your hungry. done.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

i like to buy different meats, cheese, and breads and make crazy good sandwiches. Of course, sandwhiches still get boring after awhile
      01-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Meal 1 - Asian Lettuce Wraps
-grill chicken breast, lightly seasoned, let cool in fridge.
-put chicken in food processer/Magic Bullet/blender with cut up and peeled fresh ginger root, garlic and green onions. Process until it's very fine particulate.
-cook long grain brown rice or basmati rice, let it cool
-head of iceberg lettuce, take off leaves in large sections, put everything on a plate, and then take each leaf and throw some of everything in there, wrap it up and enjoy! Very tasty. Season with any kind of sauce you want, but Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce works well.

Meal 2 - Sweet Potato and Chicken Stoup (Stew/soup)
-peel and cut up sweet potatoes or red garnet yams and boil in water until very soft, then remove from heat
-drain water and mash them up in the pot until it's like a paste
-add some chicken or vegetable stock/broth to the pot, and then use an immersion blender or normal blender and blend away. Keep adding liquid until you get a thick but runny consistency; something like pancake batter is good.
-Season to taste with salt, pepper and herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano and sage
-Heat on medium high heat until it starts to bubble, and then reduce heat to simmer.
-Add fresh raw chicken or turkey cut up into very small chunks, and simmer until chicken is cooked
-Serve hot. If you want your Stoup creamy, you can add some lowfat or nonfat plain (unflavored) greek yogurt. It tastes like sour cream in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
step one- get a nice girlfriend. step 2- hit it right. step 3- tell her your hungry. done.
Never fails.
Appreciate 0