F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Improvements needed for next generation F30/F32 3-series...
ARMA SPEED

04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #111
AMASIAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Vert

LSD Option

VENTILATED SEATS!
-God damn Kia offers it in their Sportage... Seriously...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #112
dvil9
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
A more eco-friendly car. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #113
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Some of these things may be a bit Euro-specific, but here's my list:

- Make the car lighter
- Make more options available on the 5 series available on the 3
- Make the smaller engines sound better
- Enable the iDrive to link to a Spotify account to stream music via an iPhone

That last one I would be VERY interested in...

...oh, and don't use electric power steering!

Last edited by jhbodle; 04-22-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #114
K1M2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325ix, Red M02 (Sold)

-add dipstick for motor and transmission.
-Coolant temperature gauge
-NO runflats and add spare tire kit w/jack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #115
Alex D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Make it at least half as reliable and solidly built as my G35. That wold be a 100% improvement!!
'07 335i Convertible - Karmesinrot/Korallrot, Dinan Stage 2, 6-speed, Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Pkgs., iDrive/Nav, BMWCCA#407025
'13 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 - Ingot Silver/Gray, Ecoboost 3.5l Twin Turbo, 302A Equipment Group, 3.31 Electronic Lock Axle, 5Star 93 Perf./Tow tune
'08 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - Crystal Pearl White/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #116
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

Car is lookimg amazing man!

Nice work as always and love the detailed writeup with photos and props to vendors... Car is so clean!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #117
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1M2 View Post
-add dipstick for motor and transmission.
-Coolant temperature gauge
-NO runflats and add spare tire kit w/jack
Can you please explain the importance of having the dip stick?
The car comes with this great warranty package when bought brand new..

We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0
Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

I don't see the importance of the dip stick..

what other car company has this sort of great warranty?
Call me old fashioned, but I would like some visual feedback on my oil as well. Instrument cluster oil check is great and alerts you when you need more In case you've forgotten, but it doesn't tell me the relative condition of the oil when I check it. It also makes it hard to gauge oil quantity when changing oil outside of warranty (I'll NOT be paying for oil changes after warranty since I can save more than half of my money DIY while still using OEM filters and LL-01 oil).

Furthermore, every time I have ever checked my oil level digitally it has told me that I have exactly the "max" quantity, right at the line. I find this hard to believe after the amount of oil that has gone into and come out of my car.

Why trust a computer when I can know for certain just by popping the hood?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #118
GodLy
DSC OFF!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 991 Turbo S

Built in source "video in"
      04-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #119
bimmermookie
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6M RWD

I like the cruise control stalk...

1. Modern stereo controls! I can't believe this isn't high on others' lists! The LED display is so 1980s, and is near invisible with polarized sunglasses.

The push button controls for stuff like selecting AM or FM, or Random when using the ipod, are tiny and don't even line up properly with the LED function listed above them! You're never sure which button to push! This is crazy!

Then to top it all off, the steering wheel control for selecting the next track on your ipod (and a CD?) makes you push UP! Did BMW ever notice that nothing else works this way?! Like on an iPod? Where the tracks are always listed in descending order? Or on a CD or album cover? Or on the grocery list you scrawl on a scrap of paper? I know Arabs write from right to left; do Germans write from bottom to top?!

I'm begging, please someone explain this stuff to me!

2. Stop forcing buyers into RFTs. At least offer regular tires as an option. Give us a tire repair kit instead of a spare and jack, if weight and trunk space are the concern.

3. More interior cargo space/options.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #120
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

How on God's beautiful blue Earth do you improve upon perfection?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #121
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:

We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

There are many enthusiasts that enjoy working on and maintaining their cars. And they keep them after 50K miles...

Others buy BMWs after 50K miles and also enjoy caring for them by keeping the oil level in check. Sure many people don't care about or know how to use a dipstick, but we do (many have indicated it on this forum)

This is by the same token as the BMW toolkit in the truck which has faded away - we want to be able to tighten that bolt on the side of the highway or change our tires (non-runflats). Perhaps it old school, perhaps even primitive, but it IS what we want.

Being involved in the state of your BMW, changing its oil yourself is a Pride thing, don't make it impossible.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #122
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I would like some visual feedback on my oil as well. Instrument cluster oil check is great and alerts you when you need more In case you've forgotten, but it doesn't tell me the relative condition of the oil when I check it. It also makes it hard to gauge oil quantity when changing oil outside of warranty (I'll NOT be paying for oil changes after warranty since I can save more than half of my money DIY while still using OEM filters and LL-01 oil).

Furthermore, every time I have ever checked my oil level digitally it has told me that I have exactly the "max" quantity, right at the line. I find this hard to believe after the amount of oil that has gone into and come out of my car.

Why trust a computer when I can know for certain just by popping the hood?
+1 but we are not old fashioned, we are correct fashioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #123
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:

Your maintenance costs:

With a dipstick, I can check the quality of the oil. Because of a dipstick I got early warning that a manifold gasket was starting to leak. There were no warning lights, but I could see small amounts of water on the dipstick.For more info I suggest you search as there have been a bunch of threads on this topic.

This thread is for people to list their wish list of items they'd like to see on the next gen 3-Series. Let's not hijack it by questioning/criticizing people's wish list.

Leif W.

Last edited by LeifW; 04-23-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #124
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:

"Lower Your Expectations and Aspirations." It will make everyone so much happier.

This kind of thinking never got anyone anything. Your current BMW may meet, and exceed your expectations - mind does (e46 325i). But another BMW offering may not - I believe the e90 328i is not on par with the e46.

So I am hoping that BMW just made a mistake, dropped their guard. And the less than stellar e90 3-series sales will make them re-evaluate and listen closer to the feedback of BMW owners. Hence my constructive criticisms.

For the first time in many years the audi a4 outsold the 3-series in Europe - perhaps that will serve as some proof of my claims.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #125
Ivan Ho
Captain Fantastic
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330ci

Smile Improvement needed for next generation F30/F32 3 series....

1) Less weight overall
2) Use more Carbon Fibre
3) No bigger size. The 3 series has grown from generation to generation. It is more than enough.
4) less pressure needed on the throttle to launch it (for one reason, it must be the weight especially on higher end models)
5) better looking back-up mirrors, get rid of the latest square-like pair.
6) Provide more color options for stock, especially in the area of sharp color. 3ers are supposed to look young & bright.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #126
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

Re: 3 Series Touring

First, make sure the USA gets the touring, not some 3GT weirdness.

Power rear hatch up/down, with key remote controls.
Ventilated seats (c'mon, even my mother-in-law's IS250 had these)
Factory BMW performance parts when car is ordered/Euro delivery
Keep the stalk cruise control. I had it on my e28, I have it on my Z4Mcoupe, and I still want it on a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #127
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
I'm amazed at how many people are making design suggestions. You can be sure that those decisions occured long ago, and are not going to be changed now.

What we can work on is marketing and packaging. Especially in the US market, where our options are often limited.

I would like to see the M-Sport package available sooner, within 6 months of launch. And EPA certify more engine choices for the US market. Not just 2 or 3.

Lastly, offer special edition models from the factory. How about a BMW Performance edition?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #128
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
Lastly, offer special edition models from the factory. How about a BMW Performance edition?

I like that idea.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #129
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Plus farking one. Best cruise control on a car evAR.

I feel like i could drive in traffic with it. It's really an incredible amount of control at your fingertips.
I DO drive in traffic with mine (up to a point). It is a good system. I absolutely HATE rentals with button control cruise control systems after driving any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #130
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
It's there now, just push in the center of the slide switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Cool. Add that to the "Things you didn't know about your 3 series" thread.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #131
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Quote:

Your maintenance costs:

Quite frankly, I find your post appaling. The "free" maintenance offered by BMW has nothing to do with the dipstick issue, and for those who drive their cars more than average, especially many miles on the highway, the amount of "free" maintenance can be quite limited. I got exactly two "free" oil changes and a set of wiper blades before I exceeded 50K miles, with the maintenance being dictated by the on-board computer (I changed the oil myself several other times in between "official" changes).

As for the dipstick issue, beyond what others have said about being able to visually inspect the oil, there is a matter of accuracy. The first time I changed the oil and filter myself, I put in the recommended seven quarts (N52 engine). The car's computer display indicated "full". Fine. Next time I changed it - because of some comments on BMW message boards about overfilling the crankcase, I put in 6.5 quarts. The display again read "full". Next time I put in 6 quarts - "full". I reported this to my dealer thinking I had a bad sensor. They claim they checked and it was "normal". I put in another quart anyway.

The instant question becomes how many BMW owners have dangerously overfilled their engine's crankcases because of some possibly erroneous computer readout? Another one: how much does this sensor cost BMW to install and pass on to their customers, compared to a simple dipstick? I absolutely guarantee you that anyone too lazy to periodically check their oil with a dipstick probably doesn't do it on their I-Drive either.

Hooking everything up to a computer is not always the smartest way to go. Often, simpler is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #132
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
Quite frankly, I find your post appaling. The "free" maintenance offered by BMW has nothing to do with the dipstick issue, and for those who drive their cars more than average, especially many miles on the highway, the amount of "free" maintenance can be quite limited. I got exactly two "free" oil changes and a set of wiper blades before I exceeded 50K miles, with the maintenance being dictated by the on-board computer (I changed the oil myself several other times in between "official" changes).

As for the dipstick issue, beyond what others have said about being able to visually inspect the oil, there is a matter of accuracy. The first time I changed the oil and filter myself, I put in the recommended seven quarts (N52 engine). The car's computer display indicated "full". Fine. Next time I changed it - because of some comments on BMW message boards about overfilling the crankcase, I put in 6.5 quarts. The display again read "full". Next time I put in 6 quarts - "full". I reported this to my dealer thinking I had a bad sensor. They claim they checked and it was "normal". I put in another quart anyway.

The instant question becomes how many BMW owners have dangerously overfilled their engine's crankcases because of some possibly erroneous computer readout? Another one: how much does this sensor cost BMW to install and pass on to their customers, compared to a simple dipstick? I absolutely guarantee you that anyone too lazy to periodically check their oil with a dipstick probably doesn't do it on their I-Drive either.

Hooking everything up to a computer is not always the smartest way to go. Often, simpler is better.
Amen!
Appreciate 0