F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Left my car running!?!?!
Studio RSR

08-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #89
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

I had a Lexus IS back in 2008 when the keyless ignition and push button start was just coming out. If you left the car running and got out the car there was a beeping and blinking alarm to warn you. You still could leave it running and lock the door and keep going and ignore it. I can't believe BMW don't have something similar. My girlfriends 2010 Nissan car with the pushbutton start even does it and its the one under the Maxima, I just can't think of that model right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #90
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSKIDN View Post
I had a Lexus IS back in 2008 when the keyless ignition and push button start was just coming out. If you left the car running and got out the car there was a beeping and blinking alarm to warn you. You still could leave it running and lock the door and keep going and ignore it. I can't believe BMW don't have something similar. My girlfriends 2010 Nissan car with the pushbutton start even does it and its the one under the Maxima, I just can't think of that model right now.
Altima?
      08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #91
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
To your second case, I did say that it is a fault in software when the driver removes the seatbelt and exits the car while in ASS mode and it doesn't shut off the engine completely.
I am still sticking with this is impossible.

once the door is open and engine is running its going to stay on.

if engine is not running then car will turn off.

I would love to see someone replicate this.

I really think you guys are just leaving your cars on without realizing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #92
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

I'm still confused as to how this could have happened when the driver's foot was removed from the brake.
      08-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #93
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
I'm still confused as to how this could have happened when the driver's foot was removed from the brake.
Car was in P

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #94
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Car was in P
Auto Stop-Start shouldn't even be engaged in Park. Sounds like one of two things:

1) The car was actually left running.
2) There's a loophole in the A.S.S. scenario that BMW needs to correct.

This should be easy enough to replicate....has it been reproduced?
      08-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #95
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Auto Stop-Start shouldn't even be engaged in Park. Sounds like one of two things:

1) The car was actually left running.
2) There's a loophole in the A.S.S. scenario that BMW needs to correct.

This should be easy enough to replicate....has it been reproduced?
My car ASSes off in D, then I put it in P, so the needle is still at at Ready.

Cannot replicate.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #96
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

So I drive to the store. I put the car in park and the engine is off (or in stand by, I don't recall). I get out and lock it. I walk about 150 feet to the store, do my shopping, come outside. There is a less than respectable guy by my car who quickly walks away. As i approach my car, it is locked and RUNNING. This is the second time this has happened and if I were in the store longer, maybe i wouldn't have my car. Between this, the vibrating steering issue, and the piss poor paint job, I kinda wish the guy would have taken it.

I am saying this to vent and to tell people to beware of the issue.
      08-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #97
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
Well my thought process is that if it's true the sensors are able to pick up the FOB accurately even if the battery is dead, they wouldn't have required you to touch your key FOB to the side of the steering wheel when the battery on the FOB is dead in order to start you car.

On your comments about the ASS restart.... that would be true if the car was turned to Off to begin with. Since it wasn't turned off but merely in the "Ready" position, it would still restart. The reason being, if I am correct on my theory (about FOB not detected because battery being dead and car not immediately shutting down), it would be silly for the driver to have to touch the FOB to the side of the steering wheel every time ASS kicks in.

Therefore, it's not really a fault (car not shutting off when FOB not in range), but its designed that way. However, the issue of ASS not turning the engine Off when seatbelt and car door opens is clearly a fault.
With the now "old fashioned" insert fob method, the fob holder would also charge the battery I believe. Removing the whole place to put the fob and charge it can also be seen as a cost cutting measure.
Now, when your fob battery dies you have to get a new battery at your own expense, as I'm sure it should last long enough for the warranty periof.

For me it's a matter of the fact that having a key or fob to insert and start a car has been used for decades. Why? Because it's simply an elegant and simple solution that didn't need any fussing over.
Ok, no key, there is a fob. That's fine, as it was still used like a key, you insert it then push to start.
But you always know where the key is and the fact that you need to bring it with you to the car and away.
I can easily see where I'll become lax in using the fob, or rather, bringing it with me. I can see forgetting to take my fob to the car, or forgetting to take it with me, as I become used to actually not using it for anything other than it does need to be in my pocket to work.

I'll get used to it I'm sure once I get my 3 and become familiar with it.
Still I find this an unnecessary change. It's like change for change sake not because it actually adds value to time to my life. It's just a fancy gimmick.

BTW, I've tried to open the trunk on at least 3 or 4 new 3's using my foot under the bumper, and have had 0 success. I just end up looking silly I'm sure to others looking at me wondering why I'm pretending to kick my car. A simple sensor that I can bump with my finger or hip will give the same hands free operation and likely work better.
That's another gimmick, looks fancy, but doesn't work as expected.
What would really be cool and useful would be to be able to shut the trunk with a bump or foot wave when I have grocery bags in each hand.
In that scenario closing the trunk without pushing it down would be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #98
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSKIDN View Post
I like the way BMW did my 135i where you put the fob in a slot and then push to start.
Plus, when you shut the car engine off the audio stays on, and as soon as I remove the fob everything switches off.
IN the 3 loaner I had, when I press the engine off, the audio stays on and the only way to shut it of is to press the lock button on the fob.
It's a minor annoyance, but I'd rather everything shut off when I press OFF, and if I want to sit in the car listening to audio I can just turn the audio back on.

Maybe I'm missing something. To shut the engine and all electronics off, do I have to push the start/stop button twice?
Or will that just turn the electronics back on, as the engine won't start without holding the brake pedal or pushing the clutch in?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #99
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
So I drive to the store. I put the car in park and the engine is off (or in stand by, I don't recall). I get out and lock it. I walk about 150 feet to the store, do my shopping, come outside. There is a less than respectable guy by my car who quickly walks away. As i approach my car, it is locked and RUNNING. This is the second time this has happened and if I were in the store longer, maybe i wouldn't have my car. Between this, the vibrating steering issue, and the piss poor paint job, I kinda wish the guy would have taken it.

I am saying this to vent and to tell people to beware of the issue.
After you put the trans in park, did you press the start/stop to shut the engine off?
Not being insulting, just wondering what is causing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #100
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
To shut the engine and all electronics off, do I have to push the start/stop button twice?
Yes, or lock the car as you leave the car.

It is the electronics equivalent to pulling the door handle twice to get out, or pulling the hood release twice.

Perhaps BMW needs reassurance you really mean it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #101
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

Since the radio stays on and the car is fairly quiet, it's really easy to leave it on by accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #102
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
After you put the trans in park, did you press the start/stop to shut the engine off?
Not being insulting, just wondering what is causing this.
I really don't know but the engine wasn't on when I got out of the car so it was either off or in stand by. Either way, once the door was opened, the stand by should have turned off. The safety feature isn't working.
      08-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #103
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
I really don't know but the engine wasn't on when I got out of the car so it was either off or in stand by. Either way, once the door was opened, the stand by should have turned off. The safety feature isn't working.
Maybe I dont understand. Either you turned your car off or didn't. If not, is this BMW's fault?

Last edited by Michael Schott; 08-05-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #104
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Maybe I dont understand. Either you turned your car off or didn't. If not, is this BMW's fault?
If the car is in standby (in other words a.s.s. has kicked in) when you undo your seat belt and open the door, the a.s.s. is supposed to shut off (per the manual). I can't say for sure that I actually pressed the start/stop button or the A.s.s. had kicked in but either way, when I got out of the car the engine should have never fired back up. Especially when I locked it and walked away with the FOB.
      08-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #105
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
If the car is in standby (in other words a.s.s. has kicked in) when you undo your seat belt and open the door, the a.s.s. is supposed to shut off (per the manual). I can't say for sure that I actually pressed the start/stop button or the A.s.s. had kicked in but either way, when I got out of the car the engine should have never fired back up. Especially when I locked it and walked away with the FOB.
I don't have the manual but when I read that stop/start shuts off I hear that it's like you defeated the stop/start system but but the car runs normally as if there is no s/s system. So if you didn't shut of the car yourself, it's still going to run. There is definitely a glitch because as you say, you were able to lock the car and walk away. It's all very confusing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #106
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't have the manual but when I read that stop/start shuts off I hear that it's like you defeated the stop/start system but but the car runs normally as if there is no s/s system. So if you didn't shut of the car yourself, it's still going to run. There is definitely a glitch because as you say, you were able to lock the car and walk away. It's all very confusing.
If engine is running you are still able to lock the car, I have done this a few times to keep ac running but ASS gets disabled.

System works flawless as far I have experienced with almost 5000 miles so far.

I never shut my car off by pressing the button. I always come to a stop, put car in neutral, lift off clutch, pull up hand brake and car goes to ready. Once I open my door it says ASS is disabled and engine goes to off. I walk away with my music still playing and hit the lock button and music stops and car fully shuts down and alarm arms, beep.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #107
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124
Quote:
If engine is running you are still able to lock the car, I have done this a few times to keep ac running but ASS gets disabled.

System works flawless as far I have experienced with almost 5000 miles so far.

I never shut my car off by pressing the button. I always come to a stop, put car in neutral, lift off clutch, pull up hand brake and car goes to ready. Once I open my door it says ASS is disabled and engine goes to off. I walk away with my music still playing and hit the lock button and music stops and car fully shuts down and alarm arms, beep.
I don't get the ASS disabled thing. Needle just drops to OFF.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #108
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Ah, I am now a member of this club. The police came to my house today to tell me the car (which my husband took to work today) had been sitting at the park n ride running for FIVE hours. People were starting to complain.

I'm not loving the ASS so much at the moment....

And at $4.22 a gallon, someone owes me some gas!

Last edited by Mamasgotkids; 05-14-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #109
Gel214th
Private
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red BMW 328i sport

I think it is ridiculous that we have to pay more for the keyless entry feature. They should all work together. I think some of the oddities that people experience are because BMW decided to separate the two to make an extra buck.
Appreciate 0