F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Our new F31 320d M Sport - one week on.
Studio RSR

10-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

Our new F31 320d M Sport - one week on.

So we've had the F31 for about a week now and I have to say, I'm liking it a lot.

Here are the pics!

Standout features for me are the colour, the ambient lighting (I missed the orange cabin), sport mode (although I've not been too hard on it yet) and that chunky wheel

It's interesting coming Lexus IS220D F-Sport and initial comparisons have surprised me so far - the IS220d comes with 175hp and 400nm compared to the 320d's 184hp and 380nm but the F31 definitely feels quicker (apart from Eco Mode which feels like I've lost half the engine). The standard M Sport suspension is a great compromise between handling and comfort but I'm definitely noticing a lot more road noise in the F31

I'm still adjusting to the auto - as everyone says, it's a great auto, although I still feel as if the driving experience is missing something compared to a manual - that said, the Lexus gearing was simply awful (peak torque at 2000-2600rpm and gearing so high that you almost had to drive it like a petrol) so the auto is certainly less tiring than trying to keep the IS on song.

My spec is a little unusual because my priorities were a little different to most on here (plus I ordered just before the M-Sport Plus pack was available), and I was ordering to a budget:

8-Speed auto
EBII
Pro media
Auto dimming/folding mirrors
Sun protection glass
Heated front seats
BMW Advanced Speaker System (Hi-Fi)
Xenon lights

I absolutely love the pro media system - it's not without it's faults but I'm a complete geek and I'm in my element with the connected drive/online stuff (plus I coded in Enhanced BT within about two hours of receiving the car). The touchpad letter recognition is excellent as is Siri Eyes Free.

The SPT is really for the dog's benefit but I do now think it definitely adds to the visual drama of the car. Speaking of which, I stuck with the 18" 400Ms and I'm glad I did, they look good to me, the ride quality is excellent and they don't look particularly difficult to keep clean (or refurb should the unfortunate happen).

I guess two controversial choices there would be the speaker system and the xenons without the adaptive lights/headlight assist. As I mentioned before I wsa ordering to a fixed budget, so I had to juggle options around. My Lexus had adaptive xenons and I found them to be a bit of a gimmick - I don't miss them. HBA sounds as if it works well, but it also sounds fallible (I've read about it being fooled by led lights and wet roads) and unless I'm 100% confident that I won't dazzle others, I wouldn't use it.

The speakers were my one worry but I needn't have worried.. they don't sound any worse than the 13-speaker system in my IS220d which I had no complaints with - the sound is clear and doesn't distort at the volumes I listen to. I've read people complaining about the lack of bass but I've had the volume turned up a fair way and it certainly gave enough thump without any distortion. Perhaps if I cruised around in a McDonalds car park, I'd want something more, but for me, I'm more than happy with this.

I've not got any mods planned but I did add a bumper protector (from dog claws), a Hatchbag boot liner (pictured but doesn't show the big bumper flap that's tucked under the matching dog bed) and I did get one of the blue Richbrook tax disc holders (not fitted yet). That's probably all I'll do.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Great looking car
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F36 435D Xdrive

Excellent choice but i would say that i suppose, enjoy the car i have only had mine a week as well
      10-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot View Post
The touchpad letter recognition is excellent as is Siri Eyes Free.
Is the Eyes Free working from the steering wheel voice button?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Is the Eyes Free working from the steering wheel voice button?
Yep, a single quick press for the BMW voice commands or hold it for a second to activate SIRI.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
PA11L JJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d LCI M Sport

Looks amazing and what a back drop

Gone: F56 Mini JCW - F80 M3 - F20 M135i - E89 Z4 - F30 335d - E92 M3 - E81 118d - Audi Q7 - E90 335d - VW Scirocco 2.0GT - And a few bangers not worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320D M-Sport

Good mini spec review there!

How did you code the bluetooth? I'm so annoyed that I could pair two phones on my 320eD business media but can only have one running on my Pro.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D M Sport

Very similar spec car to mine and very pleased with it (bar a few annoyances) I am too. Adaptive lights are great when they work properly - must be really wierd for the car in front when it masks it out but lights up the side of the road

What I have discovered (after 8 months) is that Sport+ completely transforms the gearbox compared to Sport (not sure if you have that with the standard 8 speed auto?). Just seems to have much more go with faster, earlier changes at lower throttle (if that makes sense) rather than the painful dragging out of the gears you sometimes get in comfort

Where did you get your boot liner from?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb1 View Post
Very similar spec car to mine and very pleased with it (bar a few annoyances) I am too. Adaptive lights are great when they work properly - must be really wierd for the car in front when it masks it out but lights up the side of the road

What I have discovered (after 8 months) is that Sport+ completely transforms the gearbox compared to Sport (not sure if you have that with the standard 8 speed auto?). Just seems to have much more go with faster, earlier changes at lower throttle (if that makes sense) rather than the painful dragging out of the gears you sometimes get in comfort

Where did you get your boot liner from?
It's from www.hatchbag.co.uk - they aren;t the cheapest on the market but i did a fair bit of homework before ordering one to be made and glad I went with them in the end. Here's a terrible smartphone snap of the liner just after fitting:

I opted for Rear Seat Plus which supports the split/fold seats - I also went for the dog mat with activated carbon to absorb odours. I considered blue but thought it would be a bit OTT and I thought the black would make it look a bit like a bin liner

I do have Sport+ on my standard 8spd-AT but not sure if it behaves the same as the sport auto - I had just assumed it was the same as Sport but with some of the "safety aids" disabled/reduced. I will give it a go tomorrow though - thanks for the tip

Last edited by mproudfoot; 10-11-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I have the genuine BMW F31 boot liner for mine and it is great. Sorry but it does look much better and fits perfectly. It has an extra part to attach when the seats are folded down which I keep under the boot floor. You only need that part to also cover the rear of the front seats. The benefit of that is the perfect fit when the seats are up or down.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep

When in Sport+ i get some message saying "Dynamic Traction Control Activated"

I have taken to pushing it over into manual mode and then activating sport+ as that allows you to use 8th on the road without constantly changing down by itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Betoni
Newbie!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D MSport(suspen del) F31

Lovely Car - can you still operate the split rear seats without having to spend 20 mins fiddling with zips etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betoni View Post
Lovely Car - can you still operate the split rear seats without having to spend 20 mins fiddling with zips etc?
Yup, couple of velcro fasteners - still takes a couple of minutes to put it all back in place but works nicely and keeps the boot area fairly dog proof.. we have a mixed terrier and a yellow labrador and they are both muck-magnets so we had to get something. In truth I didn't even see the BMW one but I;ve had a Hatchbag before in another car and it was a lifesaver so we just went for the same again.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the bumper.. the black 'carbon-effect' protector I got from eBay is peeling off at one of the corners and I need something there in case the dogs try jumping in/out before I have the flap pulled out from the boot. I thought there should be some clear protectors available but just not found any yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
R32Paul
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d X-drive Touring

Hatchbag well worth the money.

Here, and by god it's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

Hi,

Very similar spec to me... Except I went manual and beige!

I didn't bother with the adaptive lights as I had them on a Golf and thought they were a waste of cash... But from raring on here I kind of wish I had now!

Loving mine!

T
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
jakeb1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot View Post
Yup, couple of velcro fasteners - still takes a couple of minutes to put it all back in place but works nicely and keeps the boot area fairly dog proof.. we have a mixed terrier and a yellow labrador and they are both muck-magnets so we had to get something. In truth I didn't even see the BMW one but I;ve had a Hatchbag before in another car and it was a lifesaver so we just went for the same again.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the bumper.. the black 'carbon-effect' protector I got from eBay is peeling off at one of the corners and I need something there in case the dogs try jumping in/out before I have the flap pulled out from the boot. I thought there should be some clear protectors available but just not found any yet.
A vw passat one fits - about £15 from a VW dealer - essentially just a 3M bit of clear plastic. Will did out the part number as it is the non-retail box version thats about half the price
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb1 View Post
A vw passat one fits - about £15 from a VW dealer - essentially just a 3M bit of clear plastic. Will did out the part number as it is the non-retail box version thats about half the price
That would be awesome, thanks a lot
Appreciate 0