F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone getting the ActiveHybrid 3?
GetBMWParts

12-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #199
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The electric motor pushes the torque in the AH3 too close to the transmission limits so they uprated it. The uprated transmission quite possibly is also slightly less efficient with its output to the rear end. Maybe part of the reason why the rear end gearing in the AH3 is different than the 335i.

I can tell you are excited to get your car. Just a couple more weeks...
Yes, and Yes
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #200
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

i will be picking mine up on the 26th when it arrives at the store.. this next day will be a long wait..lol

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #201
Itskoji
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3

Heavy duty ZF Transmission

Very interesting! I just had a loaner f30 328i and when I got my AH3 back I was blown away by how smooth the 8 speed is and how many times it shifts, in this car it seems like the rpms are always so low no matter how fast you go! This is the nicest ZF transmission I have ever driven, that is for sure...

Or, if you commute on a hilly freeway (I take 280 through Palo Alto hills to Cupertino every day) your rpms can look like this pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Did you guys know that the AH3 (as well as AH5 & AH7) uses the heavy-duty ZF 8HP70 transmission, that is rated to handle 700nm (516lb-ft) of torque?

The actual part description is GA8P70H With the H designating Hybrid use, with the electric motor in place of the torque converter.

The standard 3-series (along with other BMW N20/N55 vehicles) uses the GA8HP45Z which is rated to 450nm (331lb-ft)

Other BMWs which uses the heavy duty version are the 550i/650i750i, the GA8HP70Z. No doubt to accomodate the additional power of the N63/N63tu V8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #202
Itskoji
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3

AH3

Did you pick up your car John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
i will be picking mine up on the 26th when it arrives at the store.. this next day will be a long wait..lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #203
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Picked up yesterday, ActiveHybrid 3 M-sport.

Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZDH Driver Assistance Package
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels

Car is a blast so far! 900 miles from PCD to Texas averaged 31mpg. Not much gas savings on the highway. I'll report back more when I get more city driving in.

I absolutely love the car. With VSS and M Adaptive suspension, it feels like genuine BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #204
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Awesome! Congrats

Indeed as a hybrid for long highway driving there won't be much of savings. It's already good enough that having a motor sandwiched in there and lugging along a battery doesn't reduce fuel economy!

In my experience, there are a bit of highway fuel savings with the hybrid if you drive on hilly terrain. If you watch the Hybrid screen, you can see the motor assisting once in a while when going over a hill. Note that (as explained in that white paper about the AH5) that chewing up battery to run the assist on the highway is less efficient than just using the engine, so the car only does it when you have excess (>85%) charge.

Also if you are driving on hilly terrain, Eco Pro will get you 1-2mpg more on the highway thanks to the coasting mode being active at up to 100mph. I really wish this were the behavior in Comfort mode as well, as I can't feel any of the transitions anyway!

I completed a 200 mile trip yesterday at a trip computer reported 35mpg, half in comfort and half in Eco Pro.
      01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #205
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Awesome! Congrats

Indeed as a hybrid for long highway driving there won't be much of savings. It's already good enough that having a motor sandwiched in there and lugging along a battery doesn't reduce fuel economy!

In my experience, there are a bit of highway fuel savings with the hybrid if you drive on hilly terrain. If you watch the Hybrid screen, you can see the motor assisting once in a while when going over a hill. Note that (as explained in that white paper about the AH5) that chewing up battery to run the assist on the highway is less efficient than just using the engine, so the car only does it when you have excess (>85%) charge.

Also if you are driving on hilly terrain, Eco Pro will get you 1-2mpg more on the highway thanks to the coasting mode being active at up to 100mph. I really wish this were the behavior in Comfort mode as well, as I can't feel any of the transitions anyway!

I completed a 200 mile trip yesterday at a trip computer reported 35mpg, half in comfort and half in Eco Pro.
Thanks

Yes, in Eco Pro, I often let off the gas at 75+mpg, and the motor would shut off. You cannot feel it at all! When it re-engages at those speeds, it is totally seamless.

Eco Pro may be too sluggish for city driving. I'll have to experiment more. Sport really tightens things up, without being too harsh over rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #206
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:

Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels

Car is a blast so far! 900 miles from PCD to Texas averaged 31mpg. Not much gas savings on the highway. I'll report back more when I get more city driving in.

I absolutely love the car. With VSS and M Adaptive suspension, it feels like genuine BMW.
Congrats.

You mention VSS, Adaptive M but didn't list Dynamic handling pkg as one of your options.

Question regarding NBT Nav. If car has been sitting for a while and you hop in and start how long before system boots and displays PDC, rear cam?

As you know from your M3 the CIC can take 20 seconds to boot (sits there with BMW logo). So, if I stop by my trunk first then jump in car, I'm ok. If I just hop in car I find myself waiting sometimes before I see my PDC. I sure hope they addressed this with the NBT system.

What tires did you get?
Who did your delivery?
Are you planning to de-badge the rear pillar?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #207
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats.

You mention VSS, Adaptive M but didn't list Dynamic handling pkg as one of your options.
Oops, yep I forgot that. I definitely have DHP (Adaptive M + VSS) and I absolutely love it.

Quote:
Question regarding NBT Nav. If car has been sitting for a while and you hop in and start how long before system boots and displays PDC, rear cam?
I can definitely measure this for you, and even make a video if you'd like. Tell me exactly how you'd like me to measure? Start the car, then shift into reverse?

Quote:
As you know from your M3 the CIC can take 20 seconds to boot (sits there with BMW logo). So, if I stop by my trunk first then jump in car, I'm ok. If I just hop in car I find myself waiting sometimes before I see my PDC. I sure hope they addressed this with the NBT system.
Everything is MUCH quicker than the CIC system!

Quote:
What tires did you get?
Continental ContiSport Contact SSR. I was slightly disappointed, aren't these the worse of the OEM choices?

Quote:
Who did your delivery?
Nick. Nice fellow!

Quote:
Are you planning to de-badge the rear pillar?
Not at this time. It doesn't seem too obnoxious in real life.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #208
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

PDC / rear cam is ready within 2 seconds of starting the ignition. There's a fast boot sequence for that.

The nav takes a good 15 seconds to initialize during which time the rest of the nav still works. Of course it starts booting when you unlock the door so for the most part by the time you want to use your nav, it's already done booting.

NBT's processor is over twice as fast as CIC's and it really shows. P.S. look at the copyright screen. It's Linux based too.
      01-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #209
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:

Black Sapphire Metallic
ZMM M-sport
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
2TB Sport Auto
417/415 Sunshades
494 Heated Front Seats
5AC Auto High Beams
5AD Lane Departure
8TH Speed Limit Info
688 Harmon Kardon
400M 18" wheels

Congrats, can wait to see it!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #210
zon
Rep
Drives: EBII Active Hybrid 3

Quote:

Congrats. Glad you are enjoying the car. Looks great in black.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #211
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PDC / rear cam is ready within 2 seconds of starting the ignition. There's a fast boot sequence for that.

The nav takes a good 15 seconds to initialize during which time the rest of the nav still works. Of course it starts booting when you unlock the door so for the most part by the time you want to use your nav, it's already done booting.

NBT's processor is over twice as fast as CIC's and it really shows. P.S. look at the copyright screen. It's Linux based too.
Well thats good and what I hoped. CIC is not as fast and requires some patience..........

I believe (but am not 100% sure) that the iDrive system is based on BSD. The best UNIX distro. The only other worthwhile option is QNX (Blackberry's new OS).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #212
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oops, yep I forgot that. I definitely have DHP (Adaptive M + VSS) and I absolutely love it.
Good. DHP is definitely a great option. Especially for those missing the BMW of 'ole feel. I got it as well and do NOT regret the $1K ripoff. Did I say that?

Quote:
I can definitely measure this for you, and even make a video if you'd like. Tell me exactly how you'd like me to measure? Start the car, then shift into reverse?
Another member, after you responded, and claims the NBT system allows PDC and the rear cam to be available within 2 seconds. If so, that's great news. Would be great for you to confirm. Here's the test.

1. Leave car overnight (or for hours).
2. In the AM approach car, enter drivers door, immediately start car (do not stop at trunk or anywhere else first).
3. Set tranny to Reverse.
4. How long before the PDC/rear cam is available in iDrive?

Try this test a few times and report back.

CIC can take anywhere from 5-20 seconds.

Quote:
Everything is MUCH quicker than the CIC system!
Blah, blah, you LiOn show-off!

Quote:
Continental ContiSport Contact SSR. I was slightly disappointed, aren't these the worse of the OEM choices?
No, No!! The Conti's are OK. Your fear should have been the Goodyear EfficientGrip. The EfficientGrips have NO right on this class of car but its on the list of possible tires for the F30 18" Sport/M-Sport.

I got the 19" Pirelli PZero's. So far so good. They ride better than expected. I do love the 19's especially with the dusty brake pads.

Get yourself Sonax full effect cleaner and Meguiars brake dust repellant. Also, Wheel Wax may not be a bad idea. Trust me, your wheels and their Silver paint will thank you.

Quote:
Nick. Nice fellow!
But did Nick make sure the service guys updated your software to current rev?

Quote:
Not at this time. It doesn't seem too obnoxious in real life.
I get ya. Might as well advertise that you're trying to be environmentally friendly. At least until those LiOn batteries need to go to a landfill.

Last edited by claykin; 01-20-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #213
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I just tried, and starting the car to shifting to reverse and seeing the back up cameras was instantaneous. If it even took two seconds, I could not tell. As soon as I shifted into reverse, the image was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
Congrats, can wait to see it!
I want to see the M5 more

Quote:
Originally Posted by zon View Post
Congrats. Glad you are enjoying the car. Looks great in black.
Thanks. The PCD crew took care of the paint. No real scratches or swirls. I'm going to give it a good wax tomorrow or Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #214
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another member, after you responded, and claims the NBT system allows PDC and the rear cam to be available within 2 seconds. If so, that's great news. Would be great for you to confirm. Here's the test.

2. In the AM approach car, enter drivers door, immediately start car (do not stop at trunk or anywhere else first).

I can test again tomorrow, but there was definitely zero lag from shifting into reverse when I tried just a couple of hours ago.

Quote:
I seem to remember that from the M3.

Quote:
No, No!! The Conti's are OK. Your fear should have been the Goodyear EfficientGrip. The EfficientGrips have NO right on this class of car but its on the list of possible tires for the F30 18" Sport/M-Sport.
OK, good to know. The Conti's seem fine to me. Although I'm not sure one can make an accurate judgement of good/bad tires on a brand new car unless they can drive back-to-back with a complete different set. I know on the M3's, the Contis were the worst OEM tire, with Michelins the best. Of course those are non-RFT and different sizes so who knows.

Quote:
I got the 19" Pirelli PZero's. So far so good. They ride better than expected. I do love the 19's especially with the dusty brake pads.
I was close to getting the 19s. But I really like the style of 400M. If they made these in 19", it would be perfection!

Quote:
Get yourself Sonax full effect cleaner and Meguiars brake dust repellant. Also, Wheel Wax may not be a bad idea. Trust me, your wheels and their Silver paint will thank you.
I've got a shelf full of goodies that I'll dig into Monday

Quote:
But did Nick make sure the service guys updated your software to current rev?
I had a feeling my car would have the latest, and indeed it does. I matches up with the versions of jdong's post-update:

Tel/Media: 001.022.002

Nav: 112113.2.121, Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2013
NBT_C12341I

Quote:
I get ya. Might as well advertise that you're trying to be environmentally friendly. At least until those LiOn batteries need to go to a landfill.
Maybe I won't get so many of the sneers from people that don't like typical BMW cars/owners?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #215
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'll try this out tomorrow morning report back. After over a month of ownership, I've caught the nav with its pants down once (where it was still "initializing" with an overkill animation), but I've never had a delay in the PDC coming up.

Quote:
I agree -- the AH3 badging is not excessively flashy at all, unlike the GM SUV's that say HYBRID on every single body panel and the windshield too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #216
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, good to know. The Conti's seem fine to me. Although I'm not sure one can make an accurate judgement of good/bad tires on a brand new car unless they can drive back-to-back with a complete different set. I know on the M3's, the Contis were the worst OEM tire, with Michelins the best. Of course those are non-RFT and different sizes so who knows.
No Michelin's in either size (18 or 19 in RFT) otherwise all other options would be a step down. Yes, I like Michelin tires.

Quote:
I've got a shelf full of goodies that I'll dig into Monday
Would like to know what goodies you use on your wheels. I've tried just about everything and cannot anything better than the following:

1. Mother's wheel brush
2. Mothers wheel toothbrush
3. Some microfibre random deep wheelbrush I got for cleaning well into the Rim.
4. P21S for normal washing along with lots of sudsy Meguiars Gold car wash on Mother's brushes.
5. Sonax Full Effect for every few washes. This stuff is amazing. Scary amazing.
6. Wheel Wax for every few cleanings to deflect sticky dust
7. Meguiars Brake Dust Barrier. Be 100% sure wheel is 1000% dry before applying, otherwise you'll regret it. It seems to help a lot along with #6. I washed my car today and it took 15 minutes to clean my wheels. Amazing considering these horrid dust bucket brake pads!

Quote:
Maybe I won't get so many of the sneers from people that don't like typical BMW cars/owners?
Oh, you will. You live in a State that believes pickups are a religion.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #217
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

I will post a video when I get to a computer, but it was basically instantaneous. It took me around 5 seconds to open my door and hit the brake / start button and shift into reverse. The PDC started beeping instantly and the video showed up a second later, albeit without the idrive menu on the side. Those controls showed up about 5 seconds later.

As I said, there's a quick boot mode that only goes to the reverse camera for this scenario.

But nobody gets in their car so fast after unlocking in the real world. After 2 months of ownership I've only seen this control less version of that screen once before this, and it was for less than a second. In practice the reverse camera is always going to be ready unless you are trying to make your getaway from a bank robbery on a daily basis.
      01-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #218
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will post a video when I get to a computer, but it was basically instantaneous. It took me around 5 seconds to open my door and hit the brake / start button and shift into reverse. The PDC started beeping instantly and the video showed up a second later, albeit without the idrive menu on the side. Those controls showed up about 5 seconds later.

As I said, there's a quick boot mode that only goes to the reverse camera for this scenario.

But nobody gets in their car so fast after unlocking in the real world. After 2 months of ownership I've only seen this control less version of that screen once before this, and it was for less than a second. In practice the reverse camera is always going to be ready unless you are trying to make your getaway from a bank robbery on a daily basis.
Thanks. If I dissect your explanation correctly, those with CIC better not consider robbing a bank. Well, not unless they back in first.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #219
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Here you go. Go ahead and make fun of how slow I am at getting into my car!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #220
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
No Michelin's in either size (18 or 19 in RFT)
Would like to know what goodies you use on your wheels. I've tried just about everything and cannot anything better than the following:

1. Mother's wheel brush
2. Mothers wheel toothbrush
3. Some microfibre random deep wheelbrush I got for cleaning well into the Rim.
4. P21S for normal washing along with lots of sudsy Meguiars Gold car wash on Mother's brushes.
5. Sonax Full Effect for every few washes. This stuff is amazing. Scary amazing.
6. Wheel Wax for every few cleanings to deflect sticky dust
7. Meguiars Brake Dust Barrier. Be 100% sure wheel is 1000% dry before applying, otherwise you'll regret it. It seems to help a lot along with #6. I washed my car today and it took 15 minutes to clean my wheels. Amazing considering these horrid dust bucket brake pads!
Wow, some great stuff there. As someone who knows nothing about taking care of a new car - you got any more advice for taking care of the exterior? I'm in snow country and the salt buildup on the side panel is killing me