F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding Laws in different States
ARMA SPEED

12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post
I think we would be much better of without speed limits in the US, but strong enforcement of reckless driving. So you can't do 100+ if everyone else is doing 40, and you have to weave through traffic.
I agree with this some some degree. I believe speeds need to be regulated on residential roads but our highways should be setup like the German Autobahns.

The problem in the US unless you set the rules one way or another there will be an issue. The reason why it works in Germany is because everyone is on the same page and everyone is taught to drive that way. In the US we are taught to drive a certain way and people that dont follow those rules put not only themselves but others in danger.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
I agree with this some some degree. I believe speeds need to be regulated on residential roads but our highways should be setup like the German Autobahns.

The problem in the US unless you set the rules one way or another there will be an issue. The reason why it works in Germany is because everyone is on the same page and everyone is taught to drive that way. In the US we are taught to drive a certain way and people that dont follow those rules put not only themselves but others in danger.
+2
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
driver911
Private
Rep
Drives: f30 335 m sport RWD

Thumbs down

Quote:
There is a big difference between reckless driving (weaving in and out of lanes, passing on the right, cutting people off) to maintain 95 mph on the freeway and driving with the speed of traffic which in CA happens to be 85, (limit is 65) Going 10 mph faster than the car next to you is not dangerous. Cutting off cars and weaving around other vehicles is.
I was driving on the autobahn in October and most vehicles drove about 75-80mph, Trucks drove slower around 65. But some cars did 120+ and they slowed down when there were cars in front of them, passed them and accelerated back up to 120. No accidents. Also I think driving 100 makes you pay more attention to the road.
There were no cops, eating up tax revenue, sitting on the side of the road preying on drivers going 100 mph or 80 or 70, no threat of arrest or fine, and everyone was safe, no one died, the world did not end. People passed on the left and if you were going slower than the car behind you, you moved over to the right. There was no bs, I am going the speed limit (65) so I can be in the fast lane and blocking all traffic behind me even though the normal speed on that road is 85.

All in all instead of a top down commandment mandating everyone drive exactly the same, there was a bottom up approach where each driver made a decision to drive safely for the road in question. That means performance cars like my 335 drove faster than a beat up truck.

Not to mention the fact the speed limits are set deliberately below the safe "natural flow" rate to generate income for the state.

I think we would be much better of without speed limits in the US, but strong enforcement of reckless driving. So you can't do 100+ if everyone else is doing 40, and you have to weave through traffic.

Ur right on point
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There is a big difference between reckless driving (weaving in and out of lanes, passing on the right, cutting people off) to maintain 95 mph on the freeway and driving with the speed of traffic which in CA happens to be 85, (limit is 65) Going 10 mph faster than the car next to you is not dangerous. Cutting off cars and weaving around other vehicles is.
I was driving on the autobahn in October and most vehicles drove about 75-80mph, Trucks drove slower around 65. But some cars did 120+ and they slowed down when there were cars in front of them, passed them and accelerated back up to 120. No accidents. Also I think driving 100 makes you pay more attention to the road.
There were no cops, eating up tax revenue, sitting on the side of the road preying on drivers going 100 mph or 80 or 70, no threat of arrest or fine, and everyone was safe, no one died, the world did not end. People passed on the left and if you were going slower than the car behind you, you moved over to the right. There was no bs, I am going the speed limit (65) so I can be in the fast lane and blocking all traffic behind me even though the normal speed on that road is 85.

All in all instead of a top down commandment mandating everyone drive exactly the same, there was a bottom up approach where each driver made a decision to drive safely for the road in question. That means performance cars like my 335 drove faster than a beat up truck.

Not to mention the fact the speed limits are set deliberately below the safe "natural flow" rate to generate income for the state.

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

With today's technology speed limits could and should be higher specially out in states with less traffic on highways. I know in Virginia thou 25 over sends you to jail just a heads up if you go there

(Sorry cant quote during edit) but yah in Ny and even Nj I'd be afraid of driving to fast because of some the people who I think should even be allowed to drive. I actually saw someone drive on the wrong side of the road yesterday and don't notice until a car came head on like why?!

Last edited by ThatEgyptianKid; 12-17-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Considering that in the US over half of fatal accidents are due to people significantly speeding (at least 30% over speed limit), I would say excessive speeding is more dangerous than theft. Obviously the laws and rules are different for different countries. But given your average American driver and how easy it is to get a license here, I would say a night in jail is appropriate for 30+ over limit.
I support driving close to the speed limit, have never gotten a ticket, etc, but I still think that over half of fatal accidents being due to excessive speeding is hard to support with evidence.

Do I believe that half of the people crashing were going higher than the speed limit at the time? Probably. I see probably 1/4 of cars around here in California going 20 or 30% over the speed limit anyway. It's really hard to prove after the fact that "Had you been going 20mph slower, you would've avoided the accident"
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Considering that in the US over half of fatal accidents are due to people significantly speeding (at least 30% over speed limit), I would say excessive speeding is more dangerous than theft. Obviously the laws and rules are different for different countries. But given your average American driver and how easy it is to get a license here, I would say a night in jail is appropriate for 30+ over limit.
30% of 65 is about 22 which adds up to 88 which is what most people drive on the highway anyways so it makes sense for 50% of fatalities to be at that speed just needed to point that out sense it more likely it wasn't from speeding but yet carelessness I'm not trying to say to revoke the speed limit but that the high speed is prolly less of the problem and more of the big percentage of people who shouldn't have a license that causes these accidents

Last edited by ThatEgyptianKid; 12-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Math error
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
I support driving close to the speed limit, have never gotten a ticket, etc, but I still think that over half of fatal accidents being due to excessive speeding is hard to support with evidence.

Do I believe that half of the people crashing were going higher than the speed limit at the time? Probably. I see probably 1/4 of cars around here in California going 20 or 30% over the speed limit anyway. It's really hard to prove after the fact that "Had you been going 20mph slower, you would've avoided the accident"
The point isn't about whether or not they could have avoided it, but about whether they would have survived it. Speed limits are also there so that if you DO crash, you can survive. A car going at 60mph into a wall, while devastating, is survivable. A car going 90mph into a wall, is not.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #31
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
Haha ok. I routinely go 100+ on the freeway, the car gets up there so effortlessly it's not my fault.

People eating, reading, texting, doing make-up, not paying attention or driving too slow should go to jail.
So should you. but don't worry, it's not your fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatEgyptianKid View Post
30% of 65 is about 22 which adds up to 88 which is what most people drive on the highway anyways so it makes sense for 50% of fatalities to be at that speed just needed to point that out sense it more likely it wasn't from speeding but yet carelessness I'm not trying to say to revoke the speed limit but that the high speed is prolly less of the problem and more of the big percentage of people who shouldn't have a license that causes these accidents
Man, all those words and not one bit of punctuation. (I kid..). I drive your NJ turnpike 4 - 5 days a week and I can tell you, while I regularly drive about 80 in the 65 mph zone, I'm am rarely passed by "most people" driving 88. It's easy to think you're a great driver with great vision and reflexes, I've been guilty of that and overdone it on the highways at times. But, it's also easy for some truck driver doing the speed limit or even less to decide to change lanes when you don't expect it and put a giant wall in front of you that you don't have time to avoid. Search this forum for a BMW test driver that was killed in an F30 in that exact situation and you may feel a little differently.

Last edited by chrisny; 12-17-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014
In IL

Aggravated Speeding (30 mph over the posted speeding limit). 625 ILCS 5/11-601.5. The law changed in 2011 making a speeding ticket for driving 30 mph over the limit a Class B misdemeanor. This type of ticket used to be a fine-only petty offense, but not anymore.

So you need a Lawyer and ever since they passed this law lawyers charge at least $500, so it is not cheap at all and the fine could be up to $1500

What is the law in your state?
Well, I noticed that young women drivers will tailgate me, no matter what speed i am driving.

I am not sure how you guys feel about it, but tailgating is more dangerous than just driving fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
mynycbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
I don't know how driving is around your area, but in NY every other driver is some crazy asshole who'll swerve past 2 lanes without signalling or checking to see if there is traffic. I have to adopt a very "active/aggressive" driving stance in NY, to constantly avoid the idiots who would otherwise cause an accident. If you're doing 100+ on a highway and come across one of these idiots, you'll definitely crash.
+1

What is it with NY?

The guy in the van/beater who insists on going at 50 mph (if that) in the left lane regardless of how long a tail back he causes.

Tailgating (personally, this is the one I hate the most).

People just don't know how to pass safely, they don't indicate and/or force the driver being overtaken to hit the brakes hard.

I don't know about other states, but here the driving test takes literally 5 min and is just a drive around the block basically. That someone can pass a test then hit the highway at 100 mph is plain scary IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #35
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535 x drive

Quote:
Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
Geez I have done 120 in a 55 when no one was around at night.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

Quote:

The only reason the Germans drive the way they do is because those are the rules over there. You can get a ticket for blocking traffic in the passing lane over there. You have to pay attention to the road if you are driving fast, and have to keep an eye out for other drivers as well.
And if you want to see some crazy statistics google highway fatalities per vehicle mile driven. NHTSA keeps the stats.
Less than 1% of reportable accidents (cops called) result in death.
Also the # of deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled is only 1.1.
That number has been dropping for decades. Data on the link only goes back to 1994. but it has dropped 57% in 18 years. The 65 mph speed limit is past its time. Think of the improvements in car safety (seatbelts, airbags, ABS, DTC, DSC, crash zones, larger brakes, better tires, etc) in just the last 20 years, but the speed limit stays the same. Cars are more capable now then ever before but we are stuck with antiquated laws that do not adjust. Also I am big fan of variable speed limits. They remove a lot of the concerns of "what if there is heavy traffic?" objections to no speed limit, No reason not to have that available now. I have seen them in England 7 years ago, and most recently on the German autobahn. No speed limit in light traffic when it is safe to do so, drops down to 120 kph with moderate traffic and 80 kph with heavy traffic, or staus,(traffic jam)
Source for fatality stats.
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #37
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

California law is where it's 2 points on your license if you go 100+ mph. Everything else is 1 point.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #38
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5MC; '97 M3

Here we go...
      12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
I will have to try the "I don't have a track near me" excuse next time I get pulled over and see if it flies.

I bought a 335 for its performance. I don't plan to drive 30+ over the speed limit. The torque and handling of this car can be appreciated at legal speeds to reasonable over the limit speeds.
+1 How true. IMO you have to be a IDIOT to drive 30 miles over the speed limit on rural streets.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #40
///MZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv
Haha ok. I routinely go 100+ on the freeway, the car gets up there so effortlessly it's not my fault.

People eating, reading, texting, doing make-up, not paying attention or driving too slow should go to jail.
Have a drink next time, while you're at it.

Previous:
2017 ///M240i, Mineral Grey, Coral Red leather,
2014 328i Sport line, Glacier Silver, Black leather
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

In N.J if you get caught speeding, you better be prepared to pay a really heavy fine, miss a day of work so you can sit all day in court, then pay some heavy court fees. Basically, you are screwed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #42
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Wait are you the same guy that was giving crap to some other forum member for posting a video of his dashboard showing a speed too high to your liking? If you're not in the police then maybe your should consider it? Sending a man to jail for driving 30 mph over limit.... You should move to Iran dbag.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #43
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Wait are you the same guy that was giving crap to some other forum member for posting a video of his dashboard showing a speed too high to your liking? If you're not in the police then maybe your should consider it? Sending a man to jail for driving 30 mph over limit.... You should move to Iran dbag.
Wait are you the same guy who drives like a reckless idiot and endangers everyone else around you and considers himself a "pro race driver" but in fact is just ignorant? YOU should move kid, to a deserted island.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #44
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I don't see the problem of driving 100+ MPH if it's late at night and no other cars around you, and you have a full open stretch of highway in front of you.

I have little respect for the 65 MPH limit. When I see state troopers driving under 90 MPH, then I'll respect it. But until then, I'll drive like the state troopers.
Appreciate 0