F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 3 Series Gran Turismo (GT) LCI prototype spotted
Studio RSR

04-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #45
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4su2 View Post
The 4GC is such a sexier car and the hatch is an added bonus. If they want a 5-door that's bigger and more practical than the 4 GC, they should eliminate both the 5 GT and 3 GT, and esssentially make a shooting brake version of the 4 series and call THAT the 4 GT.

Maybe someone can photoshop? I imagine it having Acura TSX wagon proportions.
They are targeted at different buyers. 4GC is for people that want coupe looks/style but need occasional rear doors, sacrificing comfort and room. A 3GT buyer sacrifices some sport/looks in favor of room and practicality.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #46
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Also:

By the end of February, the production numbers for F34s just for the North American market stand at:

3300 335iX
7800 328iX

This almost exactly matches the current totals for F31 328i and 328d, which had an extra year of production.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #47
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
LCI will not help this car... I still don't understand the need/market for this when you have options like a 3-series touring or X1?? The GT cars should be cancelled altogether.
BMW exists in other markets than North America.
      04-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #48
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
The car is designed for brand whores who just want to say they drive a BMW and don't give a shit about driving dynamics. Does it have a lot of room? Sure. But slap a Honda or Toyota badge on it and nobody would know the difference. I had the displeasure of driving one of these as a loaner for a while and couldn't believe what an uninspired piece of engineering it was. It seems in BMW's infinite quest for sales, they have watered down the brand that once made BMW diehards so fiercely loyal. It's models like this that emphasize BMW's focus on the mass consumer while alienating their enthusiast base.
Actually the GT cars provide extra sustenance to the 3er especially in countries like Europe where fastback cars are very much in favour.
3er Gran Turismo has performed well in Europe exceeding its initial projected sales figures. It provides the attributes of a 3er whilst extending its practicality and coupled with its long wheelbase it is seen as a more practical alternative.
The GT cars also sell well in China.

Plus there is the M Sport Packet which makes the car look equally sporty and luxurious. It is also built off the existing 3er in this case the China based 3er Li so it retains full profit because it is cost effective to produce.
And it looks great. We have one. A 320d GT with M Sport Packet in Black Sapphire. It is able to multi-task more than a regular 3er.
      04-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #49
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
The car is designed for brand whores who just want to say they drive a BMW and don't give a shit about driving dynamics. Does it have a lot of room? Sure. But slap a Honda or Toyota badge on it and nobody would know the difference. I had the displeasure of driving one of these as a loaner for a while and couldn't believe what an uninspired piece of engineering it was. It seems in BMW's infinite quest for sales, they have watered down the brand that once made BMW diehards so fiercely loyal. It's models like this that emphasize BMW's focus on the mass consumer while alienating their enthusiast base.
Actually the GT cars provide extra sustenance to the 3er especially in countries like Europe where fastback cars are very much in favour.
3er Gran Turismo has performed well in Europe exceeding its initial projected sales figures. It provides the attributes of a 3er whilst extending its practicality and coupled with its long wheelbase it is seen as a more practical alternative.
The GT cars also sell well in China.

Plus there is the M Sport Packet which makes the car look equally sporty and luxurious. It is also built off the existing 3er in this case the China based 3er Li so it retains full profit because it is cost effective to produce.
And it looks great. We have one. A 320d GT with M Sport Packet in Black Sapphire. It is able to multi-task more than a regular 3er.
My contention was never that it's not practical, I'm sure that it is. I'm also glad that you enjoy yours. Looks are purely subjective and I'm sure that others, like you, enjoy the look of the car. I, however, do not, and I am surely not alone in that, especially in the US. Fact is, the GT's suspension tuning is softer than the 3er sedan and its sidewalls are taller, neither of which enhance its driving dynamics. I respectfully disagree with you that you get all the benefits of a 3er with added room, because you simply don't. It's a model that further dulls an already diluted brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:32 AM   #50
///m_oz
Rep
Drives: Midnight Blue F34

I spot the LED taillights. Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:21 AM   #51
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fact is, the GT's suspension tuning is softer than the 3er sedan and its sidewalls are taller, neither of which enhance its driving dynamics.
Fact is, the 328i xDrive suspension tuning is softer than the M3 sedan, and its sidewalls are taller, neither of which enhance its driving dynamics.

Not everyone buys a car for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #52
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Fact is, the GT's suspension tuning is softer than the 3er sedan and its sidewalls are taller, neither of which enhance its driving dynamics.
Fact is, the 328i xDrive suspension tuning is softer than the M3 sedan, and its sidewalls are taller, neither of which enhance its driving dynamics.

Not everyone buys a car for the same reasons.
Ah, I was worried this argument wouldn't make it to a ridiculous place, thank you for easing my fears. Maybe when BMW produces an M3 GT, we can continue our conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #53
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I was worried this argument wouldn't make it to a ridiculous place, thank you for easing my fears. Maybe when BMW produces an M3 GT, we can continue our conversation.
Considering the next M will be the X3M, your dream may not be far off!
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #54
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This. Why is there such an aggressive US-centric stance in this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
They are targeted at different buyers. 4GC is for people that want coupe looks/style but need occasional rear doors, sacrificing comfort and room. A 3GT buyer sacrifices some sport/looks in favor of room and practicality.
And this. Well stated.

There are LOTS of people that do not read forums like this and/or do not think that an M car or other "high performance" BMW is desirable or even interesting. Those people are a huge market and one that BMW cannot bypass if it wants to survive.

There is nothing inherently wrong or invaluable about that market. As a matter of fact it is those bread and butter sales that provide the reliable financial ground that enable the "better" and "real" M cars.

My stepmother just took delivery of a new X3 xDrive28i. I suggested it to them due to their interests and needs and had to grit my teeth throughout my helping her and my Dad through every detail from start to finish. They have a long history of 7, 5 and 6GC purchases but they couldn't be happier right now. (To be honest the latest X cars are very good products at all build levels.)

Importantly here: the sales of the more basic and seemingly unattractive models keep the prices of the high performance variants within reach for most people on these forums.

While I can understand the dislike for styling or handling, those are personal preferences. I don't understand the vilification and somewhat arrogant dismissal.

You don't like some models? Easy - just don't buy them.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #55
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Hate the looks of these GTs - yes they may have more space, but so does the new 2 Active Tourer, that also looks like crap
+1 I know looks are subjective but damn......the GTs remind me of the infamous Pontiac Aztecs.
      04-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #56
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
LCI will not help this car... I still don't understand the need/market for this when you have options like a 3-series touring or X1?? The GT cars should be cancelled altogether.
Fair enough...
      04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #57
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Never has been my cup of tea but also agree that this is someone's cup of tea
      04-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #58
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
This. Why is there such an aggressive US-centric stance in this thread?
And this. Well stated.

There are LOTS of people that do not read forums like this and/or do not think that an M car or other "high performance" BMW is desirable or even interesting. Those people are a huge market and one that BMW cannot bypass if it wants to survive.

There is nothing inherently wrong or invaluable about that market. As a matter of fact it is those bread and butter sales that provide the reliable financial ground that enable the "better" and "real" M cars.

My stepmother just took delivery of a new X3 xDrive28i. I suggested it to them due to their interests and needs and had to grit my teeth throughout my helping her and my Dad through every detail from start to finish. They have a long history of 7, 5 and 6GC purchases but they couldn't be happier right now. (To be honest the latest X cars are very good products at all build levels.)

Importantly here: the sales of the more basic and seemingly unattractive models keep the prices of the high performance variants within reach for most people on these forums.

While I can understand the dislike for styling or handling, those are personal preferences. I don't understand the vilification and somewhat arrogant dismissal.

You don't like some models? Easy - just don't buy them.
Such truth in this post.
      04-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #59
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

gts are ugly..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #60
(-_-)BmwF30xdrive(-_-)
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/*****s/attachment.php?at
Norway
Rep
Drives: 320D F30 X-Drive

I like it

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1459858327

Its not mine only for sale.

More pic klikk here.

http://m.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=72748481
Attached Images

2009 Bmw E92 320D Gone
2002 Vw Golf Mk 4 Gone
1993 Vw Golf Gtd Mk 3 Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #61
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Also:

By the end of February, the production numbers for F34s just for the North American market stand at:

3300 335iX
7800 328iX

This almost exactly matches the current totals for F31 328i and 328d, which had an extra year of production.
So 30% of sales are the N55. Why is it we don't get that option in the sportier wagon?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #62
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

To all the Haters, my car gets LOTS of looks, and it's still stock, wait till I make it look better with small changes...

Thank god looks ARE Subjective...lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #63
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

You only need to check the specific forums for the 3er Gran Turismo to see how customers find the car very appealing and satisfactory for their requirements.
Or indeed see how customers also like the much maligned 5er Gran Turismo.

No one should be ostracising these customers just because they are not driving the preferred choice. I see these customers as influential in their individuality and conform less to the more acceptable choice.
I am glad that BMW offers customers this opportunity.
      04-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #64
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
To all the Haters, my car gets LOTS of looks, and it's still stock, wait till I make it look better with small changes...

Magnificent.
      04-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #65
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Yup, plenty of three's EVERYwhere. I made an excellent choice. And with the Dinan SHockware, it handles just as good.

Quote:
You only need to check the specific forums for the 3er Gran Turismo to see how customers find the car very appealing and satisfactory for their requirements.
Or indeed see how customers also like the much maligned 5er Gran Turismo.

No one should be ostracising these customers just because they are not driving the preferred choice. I see these customers as influential in their individuality and conform less to the more acceptable choice.
I am glad that BMW offers customers this opportunity.
Quote:
Magnificent.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #66
im4su2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe, 2016 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post

You seem to be taking it personally if anyone with an opinion is a "hater". Both the 3er and 5er GT create redundancy, and neither include the classic Hofmeister Kink that's one of the defining BMW design cues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1