F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW Performance Steering Wheel NOT Compatible with "No-Line" Cars!
proTUNING Freaks

10-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

BMW Performance Steering Wheel NOT Compatible with "No-Line" Cars!

Just wanted to make a quick forum post so others don't end up in the same boat I'm in!

The BMW Performance steering wheel below is not 100% compatible with a "no-line" car. Must have Sport Line, Luxury Line, or Modern Line to fit properly. The no-line cars have a slightly different shaped airbag and surrounding steering wheel trim/controls. I was able to fit the airbag and controls but the controls do not sit flush, you are unable to use the carbon 'trim' piece with the wheel and there is a very small (5-8mm?) gap between the bottom of the airbag and the wheel.

I had a feeling this might happen based on the steering wheel shapes in the parts catalog (thanks for the heads up GTMotoring!) but am still disappointed that BMWUSA makes no reference of this in their website - their only criteria is whether it is a Steptronic transmission car or not. Even confirmed the part would be compatible with my car based on VIN through a buddy at the dealership.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...3826&perf=true

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
sigfe
Rep
Drives: F30

Yes, it's true. I had to order the new Sport-line button and airbag to fit this one. Hope BMW USA make the notice on their website.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
drfrankenstein
Registered
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

Gee! Thanks for reminding! Just saw someone saying the steering wheel vibrates when driving while the car does not~ That' odd.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfe View Post
Yes, it's true. I had to order the new Sport-line button and airbag to fit this one. Hope BMW USA make the notice on their website.
How much did it end up costing? I saw sport-line buttons were around $200, I imagine the airbag unit is pretty expensive itself. I'm still debating converting to sportline, using as-is, or selling.

Not only the website, but the dealerships as well. I can only imagine if I ordered the part from the dealership and they tried to install, might have been comical to see the look on the tech's face though

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Get an Msport wheel.. much nicer. There's a reason they come in the M6
      10-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
It's arguable both ways, M wheel is great but the alcantra on the Performance wheel is just so nice!

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
JMAX
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix

"clarification" About Sw Compatibility

For the record, the performance M steering wheel IS compatible with any F30cars except that in NO-LINE cars you need to buy the sport-luxury-modern airbag module.

I will replace the steering wheel on my "NO LINE" 335xi, except that I will be replacing it with the one that comes as part of the M sports package - the one with the round airbag module.

There's no way I will drive that car with the NO-LINE steering wheel, which is the thinnest and largest of the F30 family!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
Sock_Puppet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX View Post
For the record, the performance M steering wheel IS compatible with any F30cars except that in NO-LINE cars you need to buy the sport-luxury-modern airbag module.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting on the reply from my inquiry to see if a parts supplier is able to provide me with a good price on one. When I know more I will be sure to update everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Glad I found this thread. I have been trying to research this for so long.

So basically there are four options to escape from the thin "no-line" steering wheel.

Option 1: Get a $10 slip on steering wheel cover from auto zone. Right now that is what I am doing.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: 1) Looks awful 2) makes the steering wheel even bigger. 3) Lose Heating functionality

Option 2: Get hold of some custom upholstery shop to add foam and wrap with custom leather.

Pros: 1) Will look better. 2) Not as pricey as rest of the options.
Cons: 1) Steering wheel becomes even bigger 2) Lose heating functionality

Option 3: Upgrade to M-Performance Alcantra steering wheel without new airbag.

Pros: 1) Looks better than leather (subjective) 2) Smaller 3) Substantially thicker 4) Not as pricey as remaining options
Cons: 1) As OP pointed out, will not fit properly. 2) Lose heating functionality

Option 3b
: Add new airbag to Option 3. Will make it more expensive but perfect fit.

Option 4: Add M-Sport leather steering wheel with round airbag

Pros: 1) ) Looks better than alcantra(subjective) 2) Smaller 3) Substantially thicker 4) Retain heating functionality
Cons: 1) Probably the most expensive option (close to Option 3b)

So if money is no bar, then its got to be either option 3b or option 4. Both options should cost almost the same, with options 3b basically trading heating functionality for alcantra.

Any ideas on prices for M-sport leather heated steering wheel and the airbags?

Last edited by rallybull; 11-11-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

If any of you'll have made upgrades to the no-line steering wheel, please post the details here.... thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
sigfe
Rep
Drives: F30

For those who are driving the No-Line F30 want to change the BMW Performance Steering Wheel:

you need to order the: 1) Steering Wheel; 2) Air bag; 3) Button; 4) Paddle shifters

On top of that, i'm still finding a way to add the paddle shifters to my steering wheel as there are 2 holes on both sides for you to put the paddle shifters. Guessing that you have to upgrade the Sport-transmission as well in order to use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
It's arguable both ways, M wheel is great but the alcantra on the Performance wheel is just so nice!
Anyone have a price on the regular M steering wheel, not the M performance one?

I have a no line car and considering the upgrade, since the M performance can't retain the heated steering wheel, only option is the M sport wheel.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Anyone have a price on the regular M steering wheel, not the M performance one?

I have a no line car and considering the upgrade, since the M performance can't retain the heated steering wheel, only option is the M sport wheel.
This may sound funny but do no-line cars have heated steering wheels? I didn't think we did but I could easily be wrong.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
This may sound funny but do no-line cars have heated steering wheels? I didn't think we did but I could easily be wrong.
Yup, mine does, came with the cold-weather package.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Yup, mine does, came with the cold-weather package.
Oh, gotcha. I have no cold-weather package so nothing to lose

For those interested, this is what the wheel looks like with the no-line controls & air-bag installed. Though I wish it was a proper/perfect fit, this wheel rocks!

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
JMAX
Rep

Wheel Options - Feel Of Alcantara? -

To the OP and others:

I have to say, the M Performance SW (alcantara) does look really nice. Too bad about the airbag, huh? Trust me, I spent hours researching this and comparing airbags while at the dealer.

To the "untrained" eye , the "no-line" airbag looks like the sport/luxury/modern airbag module, which looks "hexagonish," where the no-line one is "squarish" with curvy sides.

From what I've heard, the airbag module will run you around $750 (the M "round" airbag module is more expensive).

Once my car arrives, swapping the SW will be my first (and probably only) mod. I was set on the M round one, but having seen your picture of the alcantara one, I'm beginning to wonder if the alcantara is the way to go.

First, any idea if the M Performance (Alcantara) one is the same diameter as the M Package (round) one? The Alcantara looks pretty small in the picture, which is nice, whereas the M Package one looks definitely smaller than the sports/luxury/modern one, but a tad "larger" than the Alcantara one?

Also, in the long run, what will "wear" better, the leather or the alcantara? How does the Alcantara feel to the touch?

(Man, I wish there was a BMW accessories "store" you could walk in and try all these things before buying.)

At the end of the day, the deciding factor might be the red stripe at the top. I don't think it will match my venetian beige interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Oh, gotcha. I have no cold-weather package so nothing to lose

For those interested, this is what the wheel looks like with the no-line controls & air-bag installed. Though I wish it was a proper/perfect fit, this wheel rocks!

it looks sad without the CF..but still so hawt.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To the OP and others:

I have to say, the M Performance SW (alcantara) does look really nice. Too bad about the airbag, huh? Trust me, I spent hours researching this and comparing airbags while at the dealer.

To the "untrained" eye , the "no-line" airbag looks like the sport/luxury/modern airbag module, which looks "hexagonish," where the no-line one is "squarish" with curvy sides.

From what I've heard, the airbag module will run you around $750 (the M "round" airbag module is more expensive).

Once my car arrives, swapping the SW will be my first (and probably only) mod. I was set on the M round one, but having seen your picture of the alcantara one, I'm beginning to wonder if the alcantara is the way to go.

First, any idea if the M Performance (Alcantara) one is the same diameter as the M Package (round) one? The Alcantara looks pretty small in the picture, which is nice, whereas the M Package one looks definitely smaller than the sports/luxury/modern one, but a tad "larger" than the Alcantara one?

Also, in the long run, what will "wear" better, the leather or the alcantara? How does the Alcantara feel to the touch?

(Man, I wish there was a BMW accessories "store" you could walk in and try all these things before buying.)

At the end of the day, the deciding factor might be the red stripe at the top. I don't think it will match my venetian beige interior.
If wear is a concern, I would say go with the leather option. If you don't take care of it, alcantra can wear pretty quickly. If you go the alcantra option you'll have to make sure moisture touches the material as little as possible - including any oils/sweat on your skin. In fact, many recommend always using gloves with an alcantra wheel.

I went against the advice of all my friends and went alcantra anywho. Just doing my best to keep my hands extra clean when driving

Bringing up the part numbers for the airbags it's a pretty clear difference. I sure had my fingers crossed though! At this point I don't regret the decision but damn, $750 for the airbag plus you would need to purchase the different steering wheel controls!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
JMAX
Rep

MOISTURE

Man, that whole moisture control thing sounds really annoying to keep up with! And driving with gloves is a bit "douchey" for my taste!

But back to the point, whatever choice one makes, these steering wheels do change the character of the car, particularly one's sense of control over the machine. The regular sport-luxury-modern steering wheel is not bad, but either one of the M style ones is supremely better.

Please post pictures after you buy the module and the switches. (I'll get that process going as soon as my car comes in.)

Cheers.

Martin-
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, that whole moisture control thing sounds really annoying to keep up with! And driving with gloves is a bit "douchey" for my taste!

But back to the point, whatever choice one makes, these steering wheels do change the character of the car, particularly one's sense of control over the machine. The regular sport-luxury-modern steering wheel is not bad, but either one of the M style ones is supremely better.

Please post pictures after you buy the module and the switches. (I'll get that process going as soon as my car comes in.)

Cheers.

Martin-
Exactly - for me, this is a case of function over form.

You going M-Sport or BMW Performance?

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

I just got a quote from the parts department regarding replacing my no-lines steering wheel with the M-sport leather heated steering wheel. It runs over $3000 for just parts, labor extra. I am not going to spend that much. The airbag itself is $1200.

OP, thanks for the pic. It is however not clear from that pic what is not fitting properly. Could you take close ups showing the places where things don't fit correctly. I had expected the CF to not fit anyway. What parts other than the steering wheel did you have to order? What did the overall price come out to?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
JMAX
Rep

PRICING

TOJO: That's absurd; those are "car dealership prices."

Instead, check with Evan or Jason over at getbmwparts.com -

The install should be less than an hour. (I've had the dealer do this with two prior cars (one BMW and a MB); the most seasoned technicians can do the procedure with their eyes closed.)

Good luck.

Martin-
Appreciate 0