F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MT drivers who switched to sport AT
Extreme Powerhouse

06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #45
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
No shame in it. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It was only a matter of time until the auto caught, if not surpassed, the manual. Only the diehards will defend it. Technology creates movement.

But I'm also past the point of watching standard definition tv just because that's what I grew up with. I got my first smartphone last year. Onwards and upwards!
i wonder how many die hard accountants there are in the world that still use a calculator with a roll of paper to print receipts lol...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #46
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Both are red.
both are edible (to some ppl)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #47
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
Both are red.
hahahaha

yes, yes they are.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i wonder how many die hard accountants there are in the world that still use a calculator with a roll of paper to print receipts lol...
Watch it, I happen to like my arm band and green visor.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #49
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

LOL - i never understood accountants.

As for ferraris using paddles, aren't they derived from F1 so as to take one more thing out of the equation for going FASTERRRRRRR!

I would get a manual if i were to go to the track as in the evo but this is a daily driver, no need for manual (for me)...but as the flappy paddles get better and better and can be used reliably on the track, why not use them? maybe in a few years?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL - i never understood accountants.

As for ferraris using paddles, aren't they derived from F1 so as to take one more thing out of the equation for going FASTERRRRRRR!

I would get a manual if i were to go to the track as in the evo but this is a daily driver, no need for manual (for me)...but as the flappy paddles get better and better and can be used reliably on the track, why not use them? maybe in a few years?
I just prefer to control things myself. I'll never use cruise control, much less the newer ones that can brake, etc. My wife drives an automatic, it's perfectly fine, but ultimately boring to me. It works, it's quicker than a manual and doesn't require any skill.

I'm actually the opposite, if I were buying a track car and looking for every last tenth, I'd buy a DSG. But for a daily driver, I'll accept a little performance and efficiency ding in favor of more personal enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just prefer to control things myself. I'll never use cruise control, much less the newer ones that can brake, etc. My wife drives an automatic, it's perfectly fine, but ultimately boring to me. It works, it's quicker than a manual and doesn't require any skill.

I'm actually the opposite, if I were buying a track car and looking for every last tenth, I'd buy a DSG. But for a daily driver, I'll accept a little performance and efficiency ding in favor of more personal enjoyment.
I don't understand - so on the track you take less skill to go faster and on the streets you take your skill? seems backwards to me.

i mean all of us here drive manuals i take it....how much skill does that actually take? even with heel toe-ing, after you've done it for years its automatic (granted its not gonna be perfect every time)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand - so on the track you take less skill to go faster and on the streets you take your skill? seems backwards to me.

i mean all of us here drive manuals i take it....how much skill does that actually take? even with heel toe-ing, after you've done it for years its automatic (granted its not gonna be perfect every time)
I think we're defining track use differently. If it's just to have fun at a driver's event, etc. I'd stick with a manual. But if I were getting paid based on performance, I'd rather have a DSG with faster shift times and the ability to keep power flowing when changing gears.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'd never really prefer a DSG/autobox. I tried to justify it, but I just prefer manuals. And derailing threads, that's fun too.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #53
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah, who am I kidding, I'd never really prefer a DSG/autobox. I tried to justify it, but I just prefer manuals. And derailing threads, that's fun too.
hahah - now if it said AT who switched to MT i would be saying the exact opposite of what i have said already LOL

I actually prefer manuals too but shit gets tiring after having 5 cars all manual...i guess the point is the auto is getting closer and closer and more acceptable to me....i know that if i had gotten the manual, on dreaded days i would have been thinking shit should have gotten the auto....now that i have the auto there will be a point in time (prob pretty damn soon) when i start thinking shit why did i get an auto?!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #54
Caput Mortuum
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco 2011

I specced the DSG box when I was choosing my current car. I will not do that mistake again. Truth is, even with the paddle shifters, I've felt more than a little disconnected for the whole time.
I feel actual joy when I get to take my wife's humble Fiat 500 to the gas station for a refill - I bounce it into the limiter in every gear and cackle with glee. Its MT just makes driving more fun, even if it has way under half the ponies and under one third of the max torque my car has.
So, choose wisely..

caput
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #55
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
You and I will get along just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #56
mxdirtmx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i (F30) Imperial B

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
There have been a number of AT vs MT, or AT/MT which to get threads, which seem to devolve into negative commentary, and argument over which is better. This thread is not about that.

The questions I have are directed to MT drivers who choose the sport AT this time.
I'm looking for real experiences.
I am a long time MT driver and have preferred MT.
This time I ordered an Msport with the sport AT.

Here are some questions to consider. Feel free to comment as you see fit.
Those of you who have switched to the sport AT, can you give your experience and impressions now that you've had your car for some time?
How has the AT performed over all?
Do you drive in auto or manual mode, which one more?
In manual mode do you change gears with the paddles or shift lever?

Compare your driving experience to driving a MT.
Is there something you miss by not having the MT in your 3?
If anything, what is the most annoying aspect of the AT?
Do you have any negatives about it?
Some have said that driving the AT might get boring, is it?

Finally, are you happy with your choice and the overall performance of the sport AT?
Do you regret not getting the MT?
And add anything else that you may think of, perhaps something positive that you didn't expect.
I absolutely love my decision to switch to this awesome Auto8 from always driving around with manuals but it shifts so fast that it makes up for the lack of 3 pedals and a stick. Now there is that slight something missing with not clutching and throwing your own stick around, but the fact that I can upshift in the time it takes to push down on the paddle and release, really blows me away. No manual guy can ever push in a clutch, pull outer put of gear and port out in the next gear, then release the clutch in under 150 milliseconds like this Sport Auto 8-speed can! It blows my mind... Also the fact that I can go from 8th gear to 4th without having to linearly traverse 7th, 6th, & 5 really is astounding! I have done a 4 gear downshift in. less than a half a second... Which is even faster than my cousins Double clutch setup on his 335is! He even agreed that the Auto on my cat is faster in every way, upshifts, downshifts, and skip-shifts! He didn't BELIEVE it was a regular Sporty Auto at first.... He asked how much the DCT (double-clutch) option was on the car.... LoL! When I told him it was free, he wanted to know how I managed to get the dealer to throw that in.... Once I had him goto the transmission makers website to view the video on the tranny, only then did he believe me..... He then stated that he will also be getting a 3-series with Msport in the SportAuto8 once his lease was up in October 2012! Another one bites the clutch! This car and the transmission sells itself...

The final beauty of this transmission (& car overall) is the ease of use, when just putting along in traffic or when you want to just kick back and relax, the smooth shifting & mileage saving vehicle personas of Eco-Pro & Comfort modes are in a class of their own. I lime being able to have 4 cars in one. The drive mode rocket switch by the shifter is my friend! I could be cruising in Eco-Pro to save gas on my daily commute them just "double up-click" the driving mode rocker switch into Sport and blow past the "slow moving Nipplhead" in front of me with absolute authority, massive immediate response, insane torque & lighting fast upshifts! (Let's not forget that wicked exhaust bark between shifts.... WooooHaaaa!)

Without a doubt... Drive one... Then you will also believe!

Regards,
MXdirt
Appreciate 0