F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Road&Track: 335i vs Lexus IS vs ATS V6 vs Q50
proTUNING Freaks

10-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Road&Track: 335i vs Lexus IS vs ATS V6 vs Q50

Here is what they had to say about the BMW:

Quote:
This is an odd moment. Here we have a BMW 3 Series—the car that once ruled tests like this, the machine that was for decades everything we wanted in a sport sedan—in second place. In other news, up is down, hot is cold, black is a nice shade of eggshell, and this magazine is now about cats.

Okay, that's all gibberish. But for the first time in memory, the top-of-the-line 3 Series leaves us wanting. The basic ingredients haven't changed: You get rear-wheel drive; a longitudinally mounted straight-six; near-50/50 weight distribution; and a mind-reading transmission (eight-speed automatic in the case of our test car, but unlike the other cars here, a six-speed manual is still available). The cockpit is simple, purposeful, and mostly uncluttered. Sports-car guys see what you're driving and nod in approval; regular citizens just think you're a yuppie jerk. So it goes.

It's the feel that's different. In the past, you put up with a Three's yuppie image and high cost of ownership because the Bavarians seemed to care the most about the intangibles. Telepathic steering. Forgiving, unflappable suspension that did what you wanted, whenever you asked. Other sport sedans were faster or more comfortable, but they never struck the same sense of balance. With the right options and engine, a 3 Series was sublime.

The balance is still there. The chassis still makes you look like a genius, and in normal driving, the BMW exudes a rare sense of effortlessness. The ZF-sourced gearbox is so quick-witted and smooth that you almost don't miss a clutch pedal. But the new-to-this-car electric power steering is heartbreakingly bland and distant. As with past 3 Series, the brakes are strong and communicative, but the world has caught up, and they're no longer special. The Lexus's pedal changes less when hot, and the Cadillac's Brembos are more linear and predictable. On the road, chasing the IS 350, the BMW seems to offer less usable grip; this means the driver works harder and has to pay more attention, which is usually a good thing. But the message has been diluted. If the last 335i whispered in your ear, this one just yells at you in staccato bursts.

The only part that hasn't changed is the engine. The turbo 300-hp straight-six under the 335i's hood is the business, possibly the best engine in the world. You go X-rated trying to describe how it rips toward redline (creamy, liquid, skin-tingling!), how it has torque everywhere and can't be caught sleeping. This is the six to launch a thousand ringtones, a capital-E Engine when most cars make do with mere powerplants.

Sadly, it's not enough. The 335i's wants, compared with both past BMWs and the winner of this test, are stacked a little too deep. This is a hell of a car. But we had more fun with, and ultimately wanted to spend more time in, something else.
Results below!

Quote:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...65-3-roa1013-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 10-12-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Nobody should really care about this - it's subjective; ever since they moved from Newport Beach, CA to the Detroit area, Road & Track has gone way downhill, and Sam Smith is the only writer worth his salt on the entire staff. Egan's gone, and and their new format seems to be aimed at the clueless. It's become just another car magazine. All this moaning about the 3-series' "electric power steering" is boring and a load of crap - the "electric power steering" on my 335i M-Sport is fine - no complaints, and in Sport mode it's even better. Comparison articles are worthless - you have to drive a car yourself to know which you prefer.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Dr.HiTcH
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Nobody should really care about this - it's subjective; ever since they moved from Newport Beach, CA to the Detroit area, Road & Track has gone way downhill, and Sam Smith is the only writer worth his salt on the entire staff. Egan's gone, and and their new format seems to be aimed at the clueless. It's become just another car magazine. All this moaning about the 3-series' "electric power steering" is boring and a load of crap - the "electric power steering" on my 335i M-Sport is fine - no complaints, and in Sport mode it's even better. Comparison articles are worthless - you have to drive a car yourself to know which you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.HiTcH
Quote:
+1

And the Lexus dealerships are open for business. I would encourage anyone to go there pick your favorite color in Fsport trim and call it a day

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

If the 335i had won, everyone would be singing a different tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
Clearly you've never driven another BMW.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Meh, we've seen it before. 335i had best acceleration, best mpg, dinged for steering (which most of us think is acceptable) and finishes second. I still think the 335 wins on the track and in every day driving. Just does everything so effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:

Maybe the 2013 335i they tested had not received the most recent software update (which we all know improves the steering dynamics significantly)?

Also, why are we so surprised? The f30 was never known for it's handling nor road feel. It's kind of a mediocre BMW if I'm being totally honest. There is plenty of room for improvement on the f30. Maybe Lexus got something right this time. I have not driven the Lexus, but will certainly keep an open mind until then.

If my e46 was a 9/10, and my e90 was an 8/10, the f30 is a weak 7/10, as far as 3 series goes. It's a far cry from what the 3 series originally set out to accomplish. It's more like a 5 series, with a 3 series badge. Still disappointed honestly. I like it and all, and at the time of my purchase could not think of a better car, but by no means should the f30 take anything for granted or feel like it is king of the hill as previous 3 series models.

Again, very interested to drive the Lexus. And yes, if BMW had won, I doubt any one here would bring into question the credibility of the publication.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:

Maybe the 2013 335i they tested had not received the most recent software update (which we all know improves the steering dynamics significantly)?

Also, why are we so surprised? The f30 was never known for it's handling nor road feel. It's kind of a mediocre BMW if I'm being totally honest. There is plenty of room for improvement on the f30. Maybe Lexus got something right this time. I have not driven the Lexus, but will certainly keep an open mind until then.

If my e46 was a 9/10, and my e90 was an 8/10, the f30 is a weak 7/10, as far as 3 series goes. It's a far cry from what the 3 series originally set out to accomplish. It's more like a 5 series, with a 3 series badge. Still disappointed honestly. I like it and all, and at the time of my purchase could not think of a better car, but by no means should the f30 take anything for granted or feel like it is king of the hill as previous 3 series models.

Again, very interested to drive the Lexus. And yes, if BMW had won, I doubt any one here would bring into question the credibility of the publication.
Makes sense, BMW went backwards with the manual transmission which is what you prefer. For auto transmission there is just no comparison, BMW went several steps forwards.

It helps to look at the breakdown of the points that led to the win by the IS350, most of those points had nothing to do with the driving experience but subjective stuff like exterior looks and some other crap I can't even remember. As far as driving is concerned the F30 won

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Why didn't you drive the IS before you bought your F30? Are you on your 2nd F30?

I looked at the new IS recently and meh - it's typical Japanese "luxury." Their powerplants are just uninspiring. The Germans know how to make a good car - I need to get my hands on the C450 and can't wait to see what Audi does with the new A4/S4.
      10-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
Why didn't you drive the IS before you bought your F30? Are you on your 2nd F30?

I looked at the new IS recently and meh - it's typical Japanese "luxury." Their powerplants are just uninspiring. The Germans know how to make a good car - I need to get my hands on the C450 and can't wait to see what Audi does with the new A4/S4.

I don't believe it is offered in manual transmission. That does not mean it is not the better car (or at least has the potential to be).

Yes, second f30. First one was auto. I thought my wife would drive it with me. She never did. I had it for a mere 6 months. So I sold it and got the manual.

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 10-12-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Makes sense, BMW went backwards with the manual transmission which is what you prefer. For auto transmission there is just no comparison, BMW went several steps forwards.

It helps to look at the breakdown of the points that led to the win by the IS350, most of those points had nothing to do with the driving experience but subjective stuff like exterior looks and some other crap I can't even remember. As far as driving is concerned the F30 won

The ZF8 auto in my opinion is hands down better than the manual, in most objective measures. I had it on my first f30. It's just great. But 'better' is not why people buy manual transmissions nowadays. It used to be, but not anymore.

The MT in my f30 is also by far the best I have experienced in any of my BMW's. And since I am comparing the e46, the e90 and f30 all in MT, I can say it is apples to apples. The f30 is clearly the softest, the floatiest, the least stable on the road, and the biggest of the 3. In in the only category which matters, driver "feel" and "smug grins", it looses sorely to the former 2. It leaves a lot of room for Lexus, Audi, Mercedes to improve their line ups.

The ZF8 is clearly better than whatever the hell BMW was using in auto e90's, but that does not make the car.

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 10-12-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post

The ZF8 auto in my opinion is hands down better than the manual, in most objective measures. I had it on my first f30. It's just great. But 'better' is not why people buy manual transmissions nowadays. It used to be, but not anymore.

The MT in my f30 is also by far the best I have experienced in any of my BMW's. And since I am comparing the e46, the e90 and f30 all in MT, I can say it is apples to apples. The f30 is clearly the softest, the floatiest, the least stable on the road, and the biggest of the 3. In in the only category which matters, driver "feel" and "smug grins", it looses sorely to the former 2. It leaves a lot of room for Lexus, Audi, Mercedes to improve their line ups.

The ZF8 is clearly better than whatever the hell BMW was using in auto e90's, but that does not make the car.
Gotcha. Can't speak for the E9X generation and those before it since I never had one. However take a look at the break down of the points and the IS350 got beat as far as driving is concerned.

I guess it says a lot about what BMW had to offer, if the F3X became softer and the Lexus became stiffer and more snug it still wasn't enough to beat the F3X. It's unfortunate the E generation boat sailed before I ever got a chance to join in. Ah well F30 it is

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Bottom line is the 335 was 1st all the measurable items (Caddy might have gotten one). The Lexus won on style & subjective points. Personally I have no issues with the 435's steering but that's just me. Take that knock away & the results would change.

Regardless the Lexus came in first & that's what they say in their adds.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

The front of the Lexus is just flat out ugly. They tried so hard to stand out, and they did. But in this case it's not a good thing. It's horrific. That "Predator" grill and those awful "Nike" swooshes under the headlights....just terrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #16
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
The front of the Lexus is just flat out ugly. They tried so hard to stand out, and they did. But in this case it's not a good thing. It's horrific. That "Predator" grill and those awful "Nike" swooshes under the headlights....just terrible.
+1. Much too light feeling. No solidity to the build quality.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
Diversion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

The steering is a bit off but it's not a deal breaker.. I had an 08 335i and mostly think it felt better but the reliability of a hydraulic system worries me these days.. EPS is far more consistent, reliable and the future of steering. It'll get better over a few more years (Although EPS has been used regularly since the mid 2000s..) BMW just needs to figure out how to make it better.

Aside from that, I think the 3 series looks the best out of those cars.. with the Lexus being second place on my list.. It's almost too triangular for my tastes.. I much preferred the second gen IS series.
2013 Honda CBR600RR Repsol #84
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post

The Lexus turns my head everytime I see one. LOVE the design! The only problem is that it is usually some chick driving it. Chick car? Also agree that the Nike swooshes are hideous!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
Diversion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

I think the F30 is more refined inside and out over the new IS series.. Could just be me...
2013 Honda CBR600RR Repsol #84
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Clearly you've never driven another BMW.
he's owned the E-series, so his credibility is high.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #21
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
The steering is a bit off but it's not a deal breaker.. I had an 08 335i and mostly think it felt better but the reliability of a hydraulic system worries me these days.. EPS is far more consistent, reliable and the future of steering. It'll get better over a few more years (Although EPS has been used regularly since the mid 2000s..) BMW just needs to figure out how to make it better.

Aside from that, I think the 3 series looks the best out of those cars.. with the Lexus being second place on my list.. It's almost too triangular for my tastes.. I much preferred the second gen IS series.

I have a 2012 E-steering, still sorting out issues with squeaks and noises.

It's a work in progress for BMW IMO.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
A large part of the success of the 3-series, imho, is the loooong string of 1st place finishes in comparison tests going back to the E36. When you win every single comparison test over the course of 15+ years, it builds up your reputation to a huge degree even among people who don't read car magazines. And all of wins were justly earned. The E36, E46, and E90 were so good they really had no competition.

I personally thing the F30's string of losses in tests is a good thing for us as a fans of the 3-series. And it's been losing a lot. Losing can only spur BMW to greater effort at improving the things enthusiasts like. Competition is good because it improves everybody, and this is competition doing its thing.

I owned my E36 325i for 7 years. My E46 330i for 12 years. I loved those cars. The couple times I've taken my F30 335i in for service the services guys have asked me if I love it, or how I like it compared to my old E46. I always hem and haw, saying things like, "It's a nice car. It has some good qualities. It's fast." But the truth is that I don't love it like I loved the E36 and E46. In a few years I suspect I'll be driving something else. Hopefully another BMW, but quite possibly a Cadillac or Lexus. But as I said, I'm glad the F30 is losing these comparison tests as I believe its ultimately a good thing for us as consumers.
Appreciate 0