F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Question for M Performance Edition Owners
Extreme Powerhouse

09-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Question for M Performance Edition Owners

I am negotiating on a 2015 M Performance Edition 335 at my local dealer and have some questions. Are any of the existing owners having problems with gravel chips during the winter on the add on aero accessories such as side skirts and the front lip? Have you taken any steps to minimize winter damage to these parts?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by YYC Bimmer Driver; 09-03-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. I did put on the 3M film on the front of the car, maybe have mitigated a few rock chips. Oh...just noticed you live in Calgary. You're boned. I'm originally from AB and rock chips/window cracks are just part of living in the wild wild west. Too cold for salt on the roads so you have to live with the gravel/rock damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. I did put on the 3M film on the front of the car, maybe have mitigated a few rock chips. Oh...just noticed you live in Calgary. You're boned. I'm originally from AB and rock chips/window cracks are just part of living in the wild wild west. Too cold for salt on the roads so you have to live with the gravel/rock damage.
Thanks for your reply. Finalized my deal today and picking it up on Wednesday. Decision on colour was tough given both options were colours I have never seen on a bimmer previously.

I am putting on the full 3M film but was wondering how the rocker panels will take the gravel they put down on the streets here during our Calgary winters. My F31 was pretty good after two winters and would hope the F30 does as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycF30Mperf View Post
Thanks for your reply. Finalized my deal today and picking it up on Wednesday. Decision on colour was tough given both options were colours I have never seen on a bimmer previously.

I am putting on the full 3M film but was wondering how the rocker panels will take the gravel they put down on the streets here during our Calgary winters. My F31 was pretty good after two winters and would hope the F30 does as well.
Congrats, definitely can't go wrong with the M-performance. I would have definitely opted for it if they have that option for F36!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Congrats on the new purchase...This is a fun car!
No input on rock chips unfortunately as i picked mine up in March of 2015...so I have yet to drive through the winter (if you can even call the winter's we have here "winter")
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
DG335
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Performance

Quote:
I am negotiating on a 2015 M Performance Edition 335 at my local dealer and have some questions. Are any of the existing owners having problems with gravel chips during the winter on the add on aero accessories such as side skirts and the front lip? Have you taken any steps to minimize winter damage to these parts?

I have 3M on just the front and have gone through one winter so far, no rock/stone damage (if any it is very minor). The plastic seems to hold up really well to abuse. Side skirts are matte black plastic and therefore don't show much damage. My front lip is painted but has no chips in it, or at least nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
jdonais
Private
Rep
Drives: EB2 F30 335ix Msport

Quote:

I am in Calgary also. The front of mine got pretty bad over the previous winter. Lots of chips on the hood and a few on the bumper and even a couple above the windshield. there is none on my side-skirts/rockers that are visible. Mind you I have never crawled underneath or looked when its been up on a hoist. How much did the dealer charge you for the 3M if you don't mind me asking. I've got a contact that does it and if it wasn't too late she might be able to do it cheaper for you...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonais View Post
I am in Calgary also. The front of mine got pretty bad over the previous winter. Lots of chips on the hood and a few on the bumper and even a couple above the windshield. there is none on my side-skirts/rockers that are visible. Mind you I have never crawled underneath or looked when its been up on a hoist. How much did the dealer charge you for the 3M if you don't mind me asking. I've got a contact that does it and if it wasn't too late she might be able to do it cheaper for you...
Just got back from the pickup. All in all, a very nice car and I am very happy to be back in a 6 speed after several years driving automatics. The colour looks completely different today than it did Friday when it was cloudy. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I can use a decent camera to photograph it in the sun.

jdonais, thanks for your offer but the dealer gave me a very fair discount on the 3M and I am happy with the pricing I received. Overall, I got a decent deal and they took me out of my lease on the F31 19 months early.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Just got back from the pickup. All in all, a very nice car and I am very happy to be back in a 6 speed after several years driving automatics. The colour looks completely different today than it did Friday when it was cloudy. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I can use a decent camera to photograph it in the sun.

jdonais, thanks for your offer but the dealer gave me a very fair discount on the 3M and I am happy with the pricing I received. Overall, I got a decent deal and they took me out of my lease on the F31 19 months early.
Is your RWD?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Several stone chips in the front, but nothing on the sides.
If you look carefully at how they've built the sides extensions, you'll see that's basically a lip aiming down, so it actually saves the sides skirts from some stone chips.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
EsCo3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 335ix MPerformance Edition

Congrats on the car. I also purchased a 2015 335i M Performance Edition Suzuka Grey (Phase 2) but I got the xDrive. I've been driving standard my whole life and I wanted to change it up with the Automatic Trans. I'm still waiting for the delivery. Sometime mid October.

I have a question though, did your car come with the carbon fibre exhaust covers? And what kind of disk brakes did you get? Do they have the drill holes in them? Also what colour was your side mirrors? Did they come black or the same as the body colour?

How much did you pay for the 3M?

Can't wait for the pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
EsCo3
Private
Canada
Rep

Oh wait... don't you have a thread already with pics?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1171661

Well, nice car again LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Drilled rotors are the biggest Marketing joke out there. You ever wonder why F1 doesn't use Drilled rotors? They do next to nothing in day to day driving and perform only slightly better on the track due to keeping heat off the rotors better then the blank ones. However slotted does it very similarly. The drawbacks are the integrity of the rotors is greatly compromised by the holes compared to blank and slotted ones. For daily driving they are useless and actually can lead to decreased braking performance. All they are good for is looks and show and shines........ just FYI in case anybody thought they were supposed to be good for the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
eddy403
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Quote:

Since the opening of Stoney trail most transport trucks avoid deerfoot trail. 95% of the rock chips that made contact with my previous cars was on Deerfoot or HW1 West towards Banff.

Fingers crossed for another mild winter. Congrats on the new purchase

BMW 435i xDrive M Performance (sold)
BMW X3 35i M Sport
Instagram: @gunter_x3_n55
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
mad villain
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Congrats on your car OP. I'm currently in the process of picking up an MP Edition as well. It's between Grey Black and Suzuka Grey at this point so we'll c what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsCo3 View Post
Congrats on the car. I also purchased a 2015 335i M Performance Edition Suzuka Grey (Phase 2) but I got the xDrive. I've been driving standard my whole life and I wanted to change it up with the Automatic Trans. I'm still waiting for the delivery. Sometime mid October.

I have a question though, did your car come with the carbon fibre exhaust covers? And what kind of disk brakes did you get? Do they have the drill holes in them? Also what colour was your side mirrors? Did they come black or the same as the body colour?

How much did you pay for the 3M?

Can't wait for the pics.
I'm looking at a Suzuka Grey one also! Going down tomorrow to look at a Suzuka Grey on Coral Red!
      10-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
a0315
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235 xdrive

Ordered my Suzuka Grey end of sept. Should be in Calgary this week to pick up. Planning to do the 3M after market as is half cheaper than what the dealer has quoted me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
EsCo3
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0315 View Post
Ordered my Suzuka Grey end of sept. Should be in Calgary this week to pick up. Planning to do the 3M after market as is half cheaper than what the dealer has quoted me.
I got the same car probably at the same time too. Mine is already at the dealership but the M-Performance parts are still being installed. I'll post pics once I take delivery.

What parts of the car are you going to install 3M? How much did the dealer quote if you don't mind (you can PM me if you want with the number)?
Appreciate 0