F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Infotainment Black Screen Issue
Studio RSR

04-17-2024, 12:03 PM   #1
abrar2498
Rep
Drives: F30 2015 335i

Exclamation F30 Infotainment Black Screen Issue

Hello all,

Saw a couple threads on this issue but was still unable to find a solution to my issues.

2015 BMW 335i - Infotainment/iDrive screen is BLACK/BLANK

No access to cameras, front/rear sensors, radio, nav etc.

Some threads mentioned where people had blown fuses which had caused this issue - I triple checked all fuses in both (under the hood & in the trunk) fuse boxes and all fuses look good. Also saw some mentions of a low charge battery - my battery is well charged, and I have a pretty long commute to work (about 1 hr) - so assuming my battery is in a good state.

I had a retrofit CarPlay module in between the original harness which allowed me to have Carplay functioning (had this working for 2 years no issues)

Recently I started to randomly get a "No Signal" message on the screen but would only be displayed for a few seconds - then would go back to functioning normally for many days.

Now my issue is a FULL BLACK SCREEN with no message - I can't seem to point down to the issue. I've also removed the CarPlay module and used the original connection to the OEM infotainment box - and no luck.

PS - Any suggestions or help would be great.
Can also upload pictures to help

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 01:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Pull codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 06:05 PM   #3
abrar2498
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Pull codes.
Just checked codes -
Have some code’s related to ABS but nothing else that seems related

Any other ideas or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:09 PM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

try a new cable from hu to cid since you have removed the carplay module and same problem. they are cheap enough to order.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:13 PM   #5
abrar2498
Rep

Any clue if my HU has faulted?
Really don't want to take it to dealer as they'll probably charge a lot for diagnoses.

I've read from other threads that if it was HU related, I would still display a "NO SIGNAL" message on the screen - hoping someone can confirm.

Will be looking into ordering a new cable which connects HU to CID - starting to lose hope and options lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 09:36 PM   #6
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

hard to say. usually, if the HU is at fault, it’ll be a bad hard drive but that will just cause the Hu to reboot every few mins which you’ll see a display on the screen.

Do you get any audio from the HU? I got a mmi box and very randomly (maybe once/twice a yr), i’ll get a black screen but the audio plays fine and after i let the car sleep (15 mins), everything is good with the cid.

the cheapest option is the new cable. if same problem, then it’s either the hu or the cid itself but if it’s the cid then you should still get audio out of the hu itself (assuming you had it set to radio or another source that you can test).

You can also look to see if there is an update for your HU and see if a newer version can help or lastly, update the i-step on the car to latest version which can fix a lot of bugs as well. this is probably what the dealer would try first.

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #7
abrar2498
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
hard to say. usually, if the HU is at fault, it’ll be a bad hard drive but that will just cause the Hu to reboot every few mins which you’ll see a display on the screen.

Do you get any audio from the HU? I got a mmi box and very randomly (maybe once/twice a yr), i’ll get a black screen but the audio plays fine and after i let the car sleep (15 mins), everything is good with the cid.

the cheapest option is the new cable. if same problem, then it’s either the hu or the cid itself but if it’s the cid then you should still get audio out of the hu itself (assuming you had it set to radio or another source that you can test).

You can also look to see if there is an update for your HU and see if a newer version can help or lastly, update the i-step on the car to latest version which can fix a lot of bugs as well. this is probably what the dealer would try first.

good luck.

I get no audio from the Head Unit - Complete Black screen - can't even switch to radio & I also get no audio from my sensors when parking.

When I checked last couple months ago - the iDrive was up to date - but assuming I would need to go dealer from them to update if needed.

I'm searching for a new cable from HUD to CID - will give this a try.
(One thought - If this was the issue - wouldn't I still be able to hear radio & sensors?)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:59 AM   #8
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

you should get audio especially from your sensor or even door chimes if the HU was working.

it might be a failed HU. If it was the amp itself, that would explain no audio but you would have a working hu/screen, just no sound.

the new cid cable may not be worth it at this point since you have no audio. might be best to either source a new HU but that isn’t pnp as it needs to be coded to your vin.

you can try the i-step update for the car but you need ista and a battery maintainer to keep the volt abv 13v during the upgrade or you risk bricking the car and costing more as only dealer can fix that.

check your amp and just make sure that is OK. maybe it got water damage and there is a short? it’s probably not the problem but worth a check to be safe, otherwise, it’s probably a bad HU.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:42 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The amp gets its signals from the HU, so if the HU is AFU you won't get audio of any kind. With no audio only you'd first suspect the amp. but with neither audio or video the HU is more likely the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:29 PM   #10
abrar2498
Rep

Quote:
you should get audio especially from your sensor or even door chimes if the HU was working.

it might be a failed HU. If it was the amp itself, that would explain no audio but you would have a working hu/screen, just no sound.

the new cid cable may not be worth it at this point since you have no audio. might be best to either source a new HU but that isn’t pnp as it needs to be coded to your vin.

you can try the i-step update for the car but you need ista and a battery maintainer to keep the volt abv 13v during the upgrade or you risk bricking the car and costing more as only dealer can fix that.

check your amp and just make sure that is OK. maybe it got water damage and there is a short? it’s probably not the problem but worth a check to be safe, otherwise, it’s probably a bad HU.
I do get door chime sounds & also alert sounds like cold weather/ hood open etc sounds

Could potentially be a failed HeadUnit - any advice on how I should go upon a new headunit? Assuming if I get a spare one from a different vehicle it probably wont work with straight plug & play - Could you further clarify what a HU that isnt pnp means?

I can also set a trickler charger and attempt a iDrive Update that could potentially be a next option.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #11
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok, good with the chime, so no need to check the amp then.

it does sound like a failed HU. You can get a used one off ebay that fits your car or even upgrade to an evo and get carplay coded in entirely which you can ditch the carplay module and they may even have it coded for you which then it’ll be pnp as you’ll provide them your vin but just depends on the seller; otherwise, it might be best to pay a coder to help you out. There are a few on here that will surely help. replacing a HU is not for a novice as there are a few things that be be coded with esys and you may need fsc if you have nav.

Here is one that i know a lot of people use. Idk the cost but he’s a good starting point. Others may chime in and might be able to help. I havent need to replace my HU but seen the process and it’s doable.

https://www.codemybimmer.ca
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #12
abrar2498
Rep

Quote:
ok, good with the chime, so no need to check the amp then.

it does sound like a failed HU. You can get a used one off ebay that fits your car or even upgrade to an evo and get carplay coded in entirely which you can ditch the carplay module and they may even have it coded for you which then it’ll be pnp as you’ll provide them your vin but just depends on the seller; otherwise, it might be best to pay a coder to help you out. There are a few on here that will surely help. replacing a HU is not for a novice as there are a few things that be be coded with esys and you may need fsc if you have nav.

Here is one that i know a lot of people use. Idk the cost but he’s a good starting point. Others may chime in and might be able to help. I havent need to replace my HU but seen the process and it’s doable.

https://www.codemybimmer.ca
Just a thought - if my Headunit was faulted - shouldnt the vehicle display to me any relatable codes? Other forums mentioned CODE: E1C440 - headunit related but I have no such displays on my end
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:09 PM   #13
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

the best option for that is to get ista and see if the module comes up red in the control tree which would mean it’s not responding.

not sure what you used to pull codes but ista would be the best option.
Appreciate 0