F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Is google maps send to car still working?
proTUNING Freaks

02-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I did get it for $30, I guess I automatically added the BMW tax in my head. The message sent to BMW two days ago didn't make it to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #24
crm102b
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M/F95, M5/F90

It's now ~ 50 days since this thread was started... Is there any news that can be shared...?

I picked up an F90 M5 from Otto's in Ottawa, ON yesterday. Send-to-Car apparently does not work — either directly from Google Maps or via ConnectedDrive.

The sales people at Otto's say a new version of the Connected Drive app specific to Canada will be released in August. They're assuming that known Google send-to-car issues will be fixed at the same time.

Can anyone point to a write-up by Google or BMW or anyone else speculating about the root cause of the problem...?

Does anyone have a useful phone number at either Google of BMW that could be used to confirm the existence of the problem and the status of a fix...?

I spent a lot of fruitless hours getting this function to work on my X5M several years ago [second last post]. Kinda annoying to find that this nice-to-have feature is still giving problems...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
faston
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe xDrive

I just did it last week no problem. Used Google Maps and a little free app called 'goDriving'. You just add it to the sources that you can share with (i.e. print, email etc.). It worked as usual. Sometimes I use the BMW Remote app (we don't have a current version of ConnectedDrive app in Canada) and it was working fine last time I tried it but with goDriving, it's just easier to use Google Maps and send it from there so I haven't used the Remote app in a while.

I basically use it for all destinations as it's easier than doing it on the car's navigation system.

PS, I've been doing this since 2008 when I bought one of the first 335's off the line with this capability.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It is working for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

I just tried it, and it worked using the connected app, but not via my desktop thru Google Maps. It's been this way for a while now.
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      04-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #28
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
I just tried it, and it worked using the connected app, but not via my desktop thru Google Maps. It's been this way for a while now.
It should work on the mobile google maps app, not sure about the desktop/website.
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      04-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #29
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It should work on the mobile google maps app, not sure about the desktop/website.
My BMW Connected app works; and my Google Maps app works. But not Google maps from my computer.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #30
crm102b
Canada
Rep

BMW/Google Send-to-Car feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
I just did it last week no problem. Used Google Maps and a little free app called 'goDriving'. You just add it to the sources that you can share with (i.e. print, email etc.). It worked as usual. Sometimes I use the BMW Remote app (we don't have a current version of ConnectedDrive app in Canada) and it was working fine last time I tried it but with goDriving, it's just easier to use Google Maps and send it from there so I haven't used the Remote app in a while.

I basically use it for all destinations as it's easier than doing it on the car's navigation system.

PS, I've been doing this since 2008 when I bought one of the first 335's off the line with this capability.

Thx for the 'goDriving' tip, faston — very much appreciated. I would never have found that app on my own. Seems to work flawlessly here, for both US & Canadian destinations.

I'm still hoping to eventually return to Laptop-based operation. In the meantime, this is a wonderful workaround.

Thx again for sharing.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #31
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

My new car (C400) doesn't have this feature but I found a great workaround. I just search for my destination in Apple Maps then use 'Create New Contact' which saves the contact in my phone with address. Then the contacts download when you are in the car and you can choose Nav guidance from contacts. Try this if you like I'm sure it works in BMW Nav.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #32
crm102b
Canada
Rep

BMW/Google Send-to-Car feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
My new car (C400) doesn't have this feature but I found a great workaround. I just search for my destination in Apple Maps then use 'Create New Contact' which saves the contact in my phone with address. Then the contacts download when you are in the car and you can choose Nav guidance from contacts. Try this if you like I'm sure it works in BMW Nav.
Thanks very much for this procedure, sr5959. I tried it with my iPhone 7 & M5 (F90) combo — and it works exactly as described for both Canadian & US addresses. It has one clear advantage: it does not require you to divulge your ConnectedDrive details to a third party (at least not explicitly).

Going by history, I'm not confident that Google/BMW are going to fix the classic 'Send-to-Car' feature anytime soon.

But it's getting harder to complain convincingly about the delay when at least two good workarounds exist — your Apple Maps/Contacts procedure & faston's recommended goDriving app.

Thx again,

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #33
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm102b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Thanks very much for this procedure, sr5959. I tried it with my iPhone 7 & M5 (F90) combo — and it works exactly as described for both Canadian & US addresses. It has one clear advantage: it does not require you to divulge your ConnectedDrive details to a third party (at least not explicitly).

Going by history, I'm not confident that Google/BMW are going to fix the classic 'Send-to-Car' feature anytime soon.

But it's getting harder to complain convincingly about the delay when at least two good workarounds exist — your Apple Maps/Contacts procedure & faston's recommended goDriving app.

Thx again,

Great glad it worked for you! The advantage of the Apple Maps method is that your destinations work in any car, especially useful for loaners.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:05 AM   #34
matg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

I've been testing out sending maps to my F87

Google Maps from my Mac or iOS does not seem to work. I've tried using both my Connected Drive email address and account ID both fail to send using Googles send to car. Also with Google Maps on iOS by selecting "Share" then selecting the Connected Drive app an error box is displayed: "Invalid address cannot be shared". I've tried altering the address format, having just the postcode but it always shows this error.

Apple Maps works on iOS does work using the "Share" button and selecting Connected Drive.

So for me Google Maps is just not working but Apple Maps is, shame though you cant send from Apple Maps on the Mac.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #35
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matg View Post
I've been testing out sending maps to my F87

Google Maps from my Mac or iOS does not seem to work. I've tried using both my Connected Drive email address and account ID both fail to send using Googles send to car. Also with Google Maps on iOS by selecting "Share" then selecting the Connected Drive app an error box is displayed: "Invalid address cannot be shared". I've tried altering the address format, having just the postcode but it always shows this error.

Apple Maps works on iOS does work using the "Share" button and selecting Connected Drive.

So for me Google Maps is just not working but Apple Maps is, shame though you cant send from Apple Maps on the Mac.
I can also get it to work on Google Maps app similarly to how you get Apple Maps to work--share to BMW Connected app, then you get an error, and then you are prompted if you want to send it to the car.

But Google Maps on my computer (Mac at home, PC at work) hasn't worked for months. It says the destination is sent, but it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #36
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

This is one of those dreadful implementation first world problems that remind us that there are two standards: European and North American. Sure, our cars cost 40-60% more in Europe, everywhere, but the services work- tried it. Last year Send to Car stopped working for 4-5 months, then it got working again. Was gone in Europe for 5 months- where noticed how everything works, and, back here, in my own car, iffy.

Make it worse, the X3 M40i had the M Perf wheel and ZF rack, and the same vehicle here, for unknown reasons, did not have it.

Tried everything- reset, calling, in the end the issue self resolved and restarted. I remind that to the BMW salespeople calling me for red sticker deals and their 10k offer. I have three questions:

- Are the cars reliable ? YES
- Do they last forever with maintenance? YES
- Can they be tuned? YES
- Have you resolved Connected Drive? No
- Have you resolved rattles and creaks? No

So why would I finance for 30-40k more and buy a new one when I can tailor mine ad nauseam? Plus I finally got most rattles out after 2 summers!!

Also provided BMW NA with feedback- how complicated is it to fix such a silly interface?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #37
es1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

any updates on this one? Still cannot receive messages
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #38
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by es1 View Post
any updates on this one? Still cannot receive messages
I still don't get them from Google Maps on my computer. So I have just been using Google Maps App, or Apple Maps (you tap on the location, find the box with the arrow to forward, select BMW Connected App, tell it to start navigating--which doesn't work if you are not in the car, then you get the option to Send to Car as Message). I find that searching for destinations in those apps works better than in the BMW Connected App directly; but you can send to car there too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #39
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

It works sometimes but may sometimes not work. Was having issues with it and had to resort to sending from the bmw app.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:08 AM   #40
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

As Google seems to have changed the "Send to Car" feature of the Browser Map version over the years, here's FYI how it currently works for me (located in Switzerland):

1. Make sure your car is registered in Google (while logged in) under
https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
Use your Connected Drive credentials for registering the car.
Note that Google currently allows only one car to be registered for each Google account

2. Then, when sending the location address from Google Maps, use "send to your phone" (NOT "share" or whatever) and then on the next popup select the "Car" entry.

Should this not work in a particular country like the US, I'd recommend to call your BMW Connected Drive support hotline. Insist on having a problem or incident ticket opened in case there's none already existing for the specific Google Maps issue (they do work with problem tickets in Switzerland). If such a ticket is already existing, insist on having your complaint confirmation documented in there as well.
The more complaints are documented in the ticket(s), the higher the pressure on having the issue solved. At least that's how an incident/problem management process is supposed to work.
      06-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #41
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, now I'm not getting this feature to work in Google Maps or Apple Maps either. As of a couple weeks ago, in either app, I could hit "Share" and select BMW Connected App. If I tried to hit "Start" for guidance, it would tell me that the app isn't connected, and then give me the option to send to the car as a message. Today, that option it no longer prompts me to send as a message; it just says connect to the car to start guidance. So I'm back to just using the BMW Connected App, which doesn't have as robust a search feature as Google or Apple Maps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #42
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm finding the same deal with me. No more google maps (app or PC). The Connected Drive app (I'm in Canada) stopped sending addresses to the car as well (in all fairness, the last time I used it was March, so no real idea when it stopped working).

If you're in Canada, and got "ConnectedDrive" before it was actually fully launched in Canada (my case with a 7/2016 purchase when the connected drive website wasn't functional for us), you need to finish setting up your account and link your car.

In a Chrome browser (IE might work, Edge does not):
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.ca

Finish adding your contact details, and then add your VIN. The site will send a pin code to the car, which you need to enter on the website to finish the link.

After that, the app will 100% work again. Google Maps claims it sends the location to the car, but it gets lost somewhere.

The "plan B" method where you just change the address for a contact works great too. I use that on our Audi since they don't offer send to car in Canada.
Appreciate 0